U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,922,221 times

Advertisements

MikeyKid - where are you living and working that you never see rednecks? I work in uptown and live in S. Charlotte and see them all the time. Do you ever go to Wal-Mart? Carowinds? Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,930,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Hooligan, I live in the same neighborhood as CLTKing and it's very diverse. I actually love my neighborhood, and the friends that I've made here, it's outside of my Steele Creek bubble that I feel like people are too concerned with money and image...
I'll certainly agree that this is the perception I get from *some* CLT area neighborhoods, but far from the majority, IMO.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,312,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Hooligan, I live in the same neighborhood as CLTKing and it's very diverse. I actually love my neighborhood, and the friends that I've made here, it's outside of my Steele Creek bubble that I feel like people are too concerned with money and image.

I really like Ani's assessment of the crime and money problems as well. I think for a city with as much money flowing through as we have, it is unacceptable to have the issues we have right now. I also agree w/CLTKing that Charlotte has an identity crisis. You know that saying, you can't ride two horses w/one a**? Charlotte has two horses: money (banking, energy, etc) and its Southern hillbilly roots. They are throwing too much money into too many different things and losing everything in the process.

On the positive side, it is beautiful here. The weather is fantastic, it's centrally located in the South, there are trees and wildlife everywhere, and lots of activities for everyone. I think for some people it is a great place to raise a family. Again, I'm not miserable and I don't *hate* it here, it's just not a fit for me.
Steelecreek? Money and image? I know there are a few luxury neighborhoods, but I wouldn't say Steele creek is money and image?!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,131,285 times
AE - I said it's outside of my Steele Creek bubble that I notice it.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM

554 posts, read 1,312,885 times
Oh my bad...I must've read that wrong.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Everyone posting is someone I feel I have at least some degree of a relationship with and I want a really honest answer.

Do you see natives who are trying to impress everyone - i.e., keeping up with the Joneses? Or is it newcomers who have come here and seem to feel they have acquired a lifestyle that requires they are into one-upsmanship?

And what do you all consider "keeping up with the Joneses?" Sincerely - not sure what folks are putting into that category (like - buying a more expensive car than they can afford or what? - living beyond means in general? or something specific - like - finding out the neighbors bought a big expensive new stainless grill and then that person goes out and gets a BIGGER grill and invites everyone over to see it).

Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,413,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
MikeyKid - where are you living and working that you never see rednecks? I work in uptown and live in S. Charlotte and see them all the time. Do you ever go to Wal-Mart? Carowinds? Just sayin'.
I tried to stay out of this thread because I'm so new to this area... Although I lived in Mooresville for a year, I just moved to Northwest Union County 6 weeks ago and commute to Uptown most days.

I've seen them, no question - WalMart is a perfect example... But, these are not the folks I envision as being the "roots" of the city of Charlotte. That's what I was referring to, the folks I work with in Uptown and the people near where I live. Apologies as I read it back and can see where I confused it.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I do see that the keeping-up-with-the-Jones' mentality is greater here than Pittsburgh where I came from - this is especially bothersome with a 13 year old daughter in South Charlotte where we moved because of schools. I myself have made a number of great friends who are not like that. I'm fairly happy here - in any large city, you can find your niche even if you are not typical. The only other thing that bothers me is car dependency and lack of good public transit. My favorite thing about Charlotte is the greenery and the trees.
That's interesting because I was very worried that we might find that at Lake Norman high school,and we even discussed that we may have to consider moving to the east side of Mooresville if we did. My son assures me that it isn't like that, and certainly from the friends he's made it doesn't seem like it. Maybe there are some groups, but I guess you can probably pretty much avoid them.

Once our son leaves school I think I would be torn between moving further out and having some acreage /small farm and moving to a condo in a city somewhere.

The thing that would really make a difference to us at the moment would be a second income, although the cost of living here is far lower than in England.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,131,285 times
This is in response to Ani: I see both doing it. I think the natives I know that do it are part of the Southern upper class or whatever Mikeykid called them. I am very close friends with one native in particular who comes from money on both her side and her husband's. Image is extremely important to them, and on the surface you would think they were very wealthy, but secretly I know they are broke. Her son only wears designer or couture clothing, and has specific clothes to wear to specific places. They drive status cars but actually bought them through Autofinder. She owns over 100 pairs of designer jeans and several LV pocketbooks for when they go out. Etc.

I notice the same thing from newcomers. It's important to dress up when you go out, not just to certain clubs. Everyone has a Coach or LV or D&B bag. People buy expensive cars and live in enormous houses, and the women are either SAHMs or have high powered jobs and nannies. Private school is a huge status symbol as well.

Does that help? It's hard to explain w/o sounding negative. I know I am coming off that way, but it's not even a negative thing for me - it's just not my scene.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,930,882 times
How do you *know* these folks are living beyond their means?

Sounds like you're simply describing wealthy, or at least upper-middle-class, families to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte