Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times

Advertisements

Hooligan, I live in the same neighborhood as CLTKing and it's very diverse. I actually love my neighborhood, and the friends that I've made here, it's outside of my Steele Creek bubble that I feel like people are too concerned with money and image.

I really like Ani's assessment of the crime and money problems as well. I think for a city with as much money flowing through as we have, it is unacceptable to have the issues we have right now. I also agree w/CLTKing that Charlotte has an identity crisis. You know that saying, you can't ride two horses w/one a**? Charlotte has two horses: money (banking, energy, etc) and its Southern hillbilly roots. They are throwing too much money into too many different things and losing everything in the process.

On the positive side, it is beautiful here. The weather is fantastic, it's centrally located in the South, there are trees and wildlife everywhere, and lots of activities for everyone. I think for some people it is a great place to raise a family. Again, I'm not miserable and I don't *hate* it here, it's just not a fit for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Hooligan, I live in the same neighborhood as CLTKing and it's very diverse. I actually love my neighborhood, and the friends that I've made here, it's outside of my Steele Creek bubble that I feel like people are too concerned with money and image.

I really like Ani's assessment of the crime and money problems as well. I think for a city with as much money flowing through as we have, it is unacceptable to have the issues we have right now. I also agree w/CLTKing that Charlotte has an identity crisis. You know that saying, you can't ride two horses w/one a**? Charlotte has two horses: money (banking, energy, etc) and its Southern hillbilly roots. They are throwing too much money into too many different things and losing everything in the process.

On the positive side, it is beautiful here. The weather is fantastic, it's centrally located in the South, there are trees and wildlife everywhere, and lots of activities for everyone. I think for some people it is a great place to raise a family. Again, I'm not miserable and I don't *hate* it here, it's just not a fit for me.
Huh? Where do you get that?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Huh? Where do you get that?
I was wondering that, too... My impression is that there's always been a "formal Southern" upper class in the Charlotte city area. I can understand that there's been a clash with the "rude" T-shirt wearing transplants and those folks. But "hillbilly roots"? I would think that many natives would take exception to that comparison.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Ok, for those of you that don't get it, remove the hillbilly part. Also know as redneck. There you go.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I was wondering that, too... My impression is that there's always been a "formal Southern" upper class in the Charlotte city area. I can understand that there's been a clash with the "rude" T-shirt wearing transplants and those folks. But "hillbilly roots"? I would think that many natives would take exception to that comparison.
Mikey, I'm absolutely clueless on it. Beyond what you said, hillbillies live in Mountain areas. (The last show of season 1 of 30 Rock showed Kenneth's hillbilly cousin from the mountains in PA.) Even if you're referring to blue collar people, that doesn't make them hillbillies!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Ok, for those of you that don't get it, remove the hillbilly part. Also know as redneck. There you go.
A hillbilly is not a redneck.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A hillbilly is not a redneck.
That depends on your definition of it. To me the two are interchangeable. I'm not going to argue with you all about my own opinion.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
It's probably a product of where I'm living and working, but I've yet to meet a "hillybilly" or "redneck" since moving here... The southern folks I have met (admittedly basing this on accent vs. being a full fledged Charlotte native which doesn't always come up in small talk) are all very well groomed, extremely polite, and obviously well educated.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Sigh. I think you guys are reading too much into my post. I in no way said that Charlotte was full of rednecks or that it was a city of hillbillies. I just said its identity is confused between money and banks and its southern (I'll omit any questionable word) roots.

Ok?

You know what makes me sad? Reading about all of the historic buildings and homes that were torn down around the city to build a bunch of stupid strip malls and cookie cutter neighborhoods. I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, so I'm not bashing them, exactly, but it is a shame to me to throw away history for the sake of progress.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I think you guys are reading too much into my post. I in no way said that Charlotte was full of rednecks or that it was a city of hillbillies. I just said its identity is confused between money and banks and its southern (I'll omit any questionable word) roots.

Ok?

You know what makes me sad? Reading about all of the historic buildings and homes that were torn down around the city to build a bunch of stupid strip malls and cookie cutter neighborhoods. I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, so I'm not bashing them, exactly, but it is a shame to me to throw away history for the sake of progress.
I think it's a real shame that the old buildings were torn down, too. But I lived near Philadelphia, where they try to fix & upgrade & keep old buildings, most of my life.

My house was built in the 70s, on the site of a bootlegger's house.

FYI, for a couple of generations, this was the introduction to the term hillbilly: Welcome to the Official Li'l Abner web site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte