U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM

810 posts, read 1,122,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
That's not true. Sonic car hops get paid at least minimum wage, normally more.

Seeing as how I used to work there and know for a fact they do makes it true.

Maybe there are some that pay MW somewhere to their carhops, most do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM

146 posts, read 414,744 times
Tipping in general is out of control. Way too many people getting tips for doing their jobs. No tips from me for fast food, mail carrier, garbage man, etc. If there is a tip jar at the register and I am not paying by cc, then they benefit by me giving my coin change as I don't like carrying coins in my pocket.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,122,740 times
In one way it is a very nice thing to do but in another way it sucks to have to tip all the time. Why does one have to pay even more for there food or some other service than what it cost. The servers or whoever else it may be are employed by the company so it should be the companies responsibility to pay them.

Of course I tip because that is the right thing to do but I don't think it should be that way at all.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,665,711 times
I look at it this way.. If I want to tip I do. Sometimes I do it just to see them smile. Not to sound arrogant, but I make good money. They maybe not so much. So if I spare a $1 and it makes their night, it makes me feel better. But here is the caviet, they still have to earn it. I don't tip at Fast Food, nearly ever, my tip is a thank you. But in other places, if they smile, greet me, ask me how my day is, joke with me, etc. I may tip. I don't think these places have any expectations of tips, but they allow it, and if you want to, you have to have a place for it, like a jar or a bill. I wouldn't be offended by it, unless they beg for it. I honestly wish I could tip more, some of these people work very hard for $8 an hour.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,126,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
In one way it is a very nice thing to do but in another way it sucks to have to tip all the time. Why does one have to pay even more for there food or some other service than what it cost. The servers or whoever else it may be are employed by the company so it should be the companies responsibility to pay them.

Of course I tip because that is the right thing to do but I don't think it should be that way at all.
If restaurants paid servers what they should, you would not be able to afford to eat at a restaurant, not to mention the service would probably suck. It's actually cheaper just to tip.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
The only place I tip other than a regular sit down and be served restaurant is Sonic, and even then it's only 25 or 50 cents.
Same here. And I tip 20% typically.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I love it too, but now I'm really confused as to why you would ask about tipping.

p.s. The best part about working there was learning all the recipes so I can make them at home.
Curiosity, that's all. I took my wife there (the one at Kings Pointe) on our first date. Now I go to the one at UNCC because it is closer and the table views are more secluded. Their house salad dressing is amazing. I buy it every time I go.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM

61 posts, read 311,576 times
If there is a tip jar at a cash register I might leave my change in the jar if the cashier(s) were friendly, helpful, and the service wasn't slow.

When it comes to sit down restaurants, I am not one of those people that has a set percentage on what I tip. In the past I have left restaurants only leaving a 1 or 2 % tip or less, if you don't do your job, you don't deserve anything. On the other hand, if a server takes care of me during my meal I may tip 30% or more.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,864,605 times
Don't Sonic carhops have to waitress on roller skates? No way would I leave them less than a couple bucks minimum for that alone.

Pretty sure they make $2.13 an hour like normal waitresses too. Don't know where the $2.15 came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or