U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM

82 posts, read 133,544 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am 51 yr old with 2 teens. Was looking at some nice looking apartments with reasonable rents in Charlotte but when I looked at the crime it has scared me. I am not employed and do not need to be near big cities or jobs but I will be renting. I don't really go out or anything so am pretty open. I am in Md now and am looking to get to a safe cheaper cost of living area. Also have considered Va but NC seems more reasonable. Thanks for any input. Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,336,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Hi all, I am 51 yr old with 2 teens. Was looking at some nice looking apartments with reasonable rents in Charlotte but when I looked at the crime it has scared me. I am not employed and do not need to be near big cities or jobs but I will be renting. I don't really go out or anything so am pretty open. I am in Md now and am looking to get to a safe cheaper cost of living area. Also have considered Va but NC seems more reasonable. Thanks for any input. Steph
What is your budget for renting an apartment? And what places have you found online that appeal to you already?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I would like to stay around 600 but will go up to 700 if need be. I've looked online at Camden reunion Park, Sharon Pointe, Heatherwood among a few others but they looked the best. Heatherwood looks espcially nice but I saw some blogs about how bad the areas were. They look nice but I know you never know until you see for yourself. I will be planning a road trip soon. I will be looking at anything between here and there. LOL Any info would be appreciated. Steph

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,336,506 times
Quote:
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I would like to stay around 600 but will go up to 700 if need be. I've looked online at Camden reunion Park, Sharon Pointe, Heatherwood among a few others but they looked the best. Heatherwood looks espcially nice but I saw some blogs about how bad the areas were. They look nice but I know you never know until you see for yourself. I will be planning a road trip soon. I will be looking at anything between here and there. LOL Any info would be appreciated. Steph
Honestly Steph, Charlotte might not be for you. It takes $600 just to get a decent ONE bedroom apt. Most two bedrooms (which I assume you'd at least have to have with two teens) in good areas with good schools are going to be $800 and up, mostly up. The ones you listed above are not places I'd recommend, sorry.

I'd recommend you look to live in a smaller city in NC - Charlotte is the largest in the state. Check out places like Gastonia (south side), Statesville, Kings Mountain or even Greensboro (which is large, but not as expensive as the Raleigh and Charlotte areas are). Best of luck to you!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,124,290 times
If low crime, good schools and very inexpensive cost of living are your criteria, not having to worry about a job, have you considered Ohio? (I know, doesn't normally seem like the first place that comes to mind). In rural parts of Ohio, you can get decent places for very inexpensive, and there are some really great schools throughout the state. For example, we rented: Doylestown, OH - 2 bedroom, 2 story townhouse $500/mth; Wayne, OH - 4 bedroom, 2 story house with garage $550/mth. No personal property tax on vehicles, groceries are lower in cost than NC, and utilities are very moderate in cost (yes, you have a heating bill in the winter.. if you take precautions to insulate the windows and are smart with your heat settings, you can actually keep the cost down. Our 4 bedroom house topped at $210 for January 2009 as the highest bill).

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
If your children are in high school, look at Kings Mountain. The schools are good, but you will run between Gastonia & Shelby for most of your shopping.

You can check schools here. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Thank you very much for all your replies. I thought about Ohio just didn't know where to look. My dad lives in dayton but we don't really talk much and when I asked him about around there he pretty much blew me off. More than likely, I will only need a 2 bedroom as my daughter will probably stay with my mom to finish her senior year than off to college. I am pretty open to suggestions as I have never really lived anywhere but here and am paying 900.00 month now for 3 bd townhouse which isn't bad. Been here 10 years and landlord has never raised rent cause we are good tenants but they aren't doing any repairs or maintenance and dishwasher is broke everything is falling apart and we are just not that handy around the house. Thanks again, Steph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte