U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

It would never have been a problem had she never mentioned (at any point on FB) the name of the restaurant she worked for.

Tober has a good suggestion - sometimes it is better to have one's private FB page very separate from anything to do with our business worlds/contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,934,696 times
Brixx was right as they should be able to fire anyone they want for any reason.

This will hopefully teach people to be careful with Facebook type websites. One reason why I keep my professional and personal life seperate.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,051,868 times
She should not have vented on facebook period especially with the name of the restaurant. One of her 'friends" could easily have shown her posting to her boss even if she had the settings for friends only. I make sure that what I put on facebook cannot be used against me.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,005 times
I see this story having multiple facets.

First, Brixx has every right, IMHO, to squelch an employee's venting online in a public venue.
NC is a right to work state, and they did what was well within their abilities to terminate the relationship.
Although, personally, if the party was a solid employee, I would have expressed my displeasure, had a conversation about the incident, and moved on.
I do not really view this as a reason to terminate.

Secondly, if your FB is not locked down tight, I can't see what good such venting would accomplish.
Sure, the employee was angry and had a right to vent, but an open social network was a poor choice.
I Facebook and am friends with a few of you here on City-Data even though we have never met in person.
We are online friends because we share common interests, enjoy similar humor, or like to friendly banter - I'm online friends with people I trust.
Otherwise my FB is locked down fairly strict.

/PSA/
Check this if you FB.
FB Privacy Check

Finally, the party was British.
Brixx could easily be viewed as a pub type establishment to them.
Lots of beer on tap, limited but tasty menu, certainly to them more 'pub-ish' than a full service restaurant.
Tipping in pubs is round up to the nearest pound (or maybe 1 quid per drink) and or some pocket change, certainly no where near 10-20% like in America.
Wait staff in the UK and Europe are paid a minimal wage, not like we do things in America (~$3/hr + tips).
It is not a big deal in the UK and Europe if a party stays at a table all night, whereas stateside rotation in the ultimate goal.
Many restaurants in the UK include 12.5% or so for service, so between possibly viewing Brixx as a pub, or thinking service was included, the patrons thought eveything was fine.
/For full disclosure we eat at Brixx (Fairview) 3-4x a month, otherwise no connection/

My personal summary is that the patrons are blameless, and Brixx and the employee share this unfortunate snafu.
I was shocked today to see this story get national traction on CNN Headline News - IMHO it is really a non-story or it must be a very slow news day.

Last edited by mullman; 05-19-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times
Mullman, I'm not allowed to rep you right now, but I agree with every single thing you said - even the news part!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,051,868 times
It probably was a slow news day for this much exposure on a topic that has occured many other times. There was also a follow up in the Observer with the young lady saying that she did not want anymore attention. Well that's what happens when you talk to one person in the media the others follow. Be careful what you post and what you wish for I say

Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,554,806 times
Nobody would probably want to hire her now. They'd be wary of her being dissatisfied and venting all over and to the media about whatever was her gripe. Not using common sense is her biggest mistake.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Personally I think if her profile was private than whats the harm in sharing her thoughts to her friends. And really, who else is looking at her profile besides her friends. Freedom of speech, she has the right to say she felt she was cheapened by her work. I was a server all through college I know what it feels like to wait on people hand and foot and then get a crummy tip. She shouldn't have put the restaurant name in her post but then again, it wasn't bad publicity for her company SHE just said that SHE was upset that she got a $5 tip on a table that rang a bill up to $100 and sat there for hours. That is unfair and frustrating and she has the right to say that to her friends on her facebook page. I feel bad for her, thats not right. I think firing her was a pretty harsh punishment.
But it was not just to her friends...it was posted in a public forum where others could read it. Same as her being quoted in the newspaper or on the news. She has the freedom to speak her mind and her company has the freedom to dole out consequences for her actions.

Hopefully she has learned a valuable lesson about the business world.

Most companies have policies where you are not allowed to publicly comment on the company in any way shape or form.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I was shocked today to see this story get national traction on CNN Headline News - IMHO it is really a non-story or it must be a very slow news day.
Well - the HLN morning team is always talking about Facebook it seems - all the privacy settings, etc., so I can see why they were talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or