U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 AM

13 posts, read 18,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
Hi,

I got a speeding ticket in Catawba county (route 321). The citation says I drove 80mph and the speed limit was 65.

To avoid car insurance premium increase, I understand I have 2 options:
1. Attend a driving school and obtain a safety driving certificate. And drive to Catawba county District Attorney office myself to pay for the ticket and to deliver the certificate along with the citation, so they will reduce it to "Improper Equipment". (Confirmed with the District Attorney office)

2. Hire an attorney. (Several local attorneys have mailed advertisements to me.) The attorney fee is just about $100, and I can save my time on driving/attending class, and the class fee.

However, I wonder what is the chance that attorney can lose my case (driving 80mhp on 65mhp road)? Does it also depend on the individual attorney?

It is the 1st time I got a speeding ticket, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I've had many tickets doing 15+ MPH over the speed limit over the past 30 years through NC and SC and have learned a lot... There are actually more than just 2 options:

1) Attend a class and received a Prayer for Judgement Continued (PJC). Be careful with this. You can typically only have 1 every 3 years. It's basically a suspended sentence where they don't give you insurance points. However, if you receive another infraction during that 3 year period the state can typically not only sentence you for you current infraction but also get you for the one for which you received the PJC.

2) You can hire an attorney who could preferably get it reduced to 5 or 9 MPH over. I think those are 0 or 1 pt infractions and in NC you're allowed to have 1 pt I believe without it affecting your insurance. Worse case the attorney can get you a PJC as described above.

3) You can do it yourself. Show up on the day of court. When they call roll, tell the DA you want to plead guilty to a reduced speed (decide ahead of time if you're going for 5 or 9 MPH over). They almost ALWAYS will allow you to do so and instruct you just to pay the fine and court costs. If you're doing over 15 MPH over I think you have to go before the judge typically at which time YOU can request a PJC. I've done both of these on several occasions. It's pretty simple. DA will walk you through it before court. They don't WANT you to have to go before the judge as it ties up their time they could be spending on more serious cases.

It's actually rewarding to do it yourself. It's an eyeopener to see the criminal justice system in action. It totally explains the revolving door policies at the local jails where even serious offenders keep getting in trouble and getting off repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 AM

97 posts, read 193,346 times
Thanks FHA loan!

I read there is another option:
"Contact the District Attorney's office for the county where the ticket was issued and ask for the prosecuting attorney assigned to the date and time of your scheduled court appearance. Ask to speak with the attorney. Without admitting to wrongdoing, ask the attorney if a negotiated plea arrangement can be worked out before the court date."
How to Negotiate a Speeding Ticket in North Carolina | eHow.com
Anyone tried that route?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Got a ticket yesterday doing 83 in a 65 on 321n headed toward hickory, 1st ticket, what do i do? Get a lawyer? Or pjc any advice will be great

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Talk to DA first before hiring an attorney.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

205 posts, read 191,735 times
I was stopped for allegedly going 78 in a 65 mph zone in Vance county back in March. I hired a lawyer for 40 bucks and he got my ticket reduced to "Improper Equipment" which means no drivers license points or insurance surcharge shall be assessed on account of being found responsible for this offense. I recommend you speak to a lawyer.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM

784 posts, read 934,786 times
I would go the lawyer route. I got a ticket in Burke county 2 yrs ago and called about the whole DA thing...they said THEY don't it that way there when I spoke to someone at the DA's office. I picked the lawyer that sent me a letter that accepted Amex for payment!

For Catawba County (where I live) I was told to use some guy name MOOSE in Newton. You have to be careful with PFJ. I think spending the $ on the lawyer was the easiest method--no effort on my part other than signing the ticket and making the pymnt.

Hubby and I refer to 321 as the NC autobahn! :0 guess we have just been lucky!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
I got the speed ticket 84 instead of 65 on catawba county, nc . Should I do online school or hire a lawer in order for me reduce the insurance points ? please, tell which school should I attend for traffic ticket or which website ?

Thank you

Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,475,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miminc View Post
I got the speed ticket 84 instead of 65 on catawba county, nc . Should I do online school or hire a lawer in order for me reduce the insurance points ? please, tell which school should I attend for traffic ticket or which website ?

Thank you
They'll let you do school for 84? I'd see a lawyer. I don't know how insurance points work versus driving points so yah.

And you were nowhere near my record speed LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte