Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Great, now they know when they can start.
When? When the child is at a public park in the biggest city in the nation on a Saturday with hundreds of other children and adults?

No, they do it when they are "babysitting" or during that dinner party you had with Uncle Eddie from out of town, or while they are helping with homework. Please don't be so blind as to think that the only people who want to hurt children are bad, mean strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
There is no way I would allow my child to stay in a park and walk home unattended(possibly with older siblings or friends that I trust completely). It is not worth the risk. You can teach your children responsibility in so many other ways. Not only is there concern for their safety (first and foremost) but also their ability to get "hooked up" with the wrong kind of kids, which is what everyone would complain about next(unsupervised, trouble making kids).
It has been proven that even when children are told repeatedly not to talk to or go with strangers, they will, it is their nature to be trusting. I knew someone I went to school with, he was 13, who was kidnapped in an upper middle class "safe" neighborhood. The man begged him to help him with a dog he hit with his car down the road. After much convincing the boy got in the car. He was abducted and taken to Maryland where all sorts of things happened to him before he was able to escape 5 days later. Just not worth the risk. Just because we were allowed to do certain things when we were younger doesn't make it right. My parents smoked in the car when I was little, does that make it a good thing?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
There is no way I would allow my child to stay in a park and walk home unattended(possibly with older siblings or friends that I trust completely). It is not worth the risk. You can teach your children responsibility in so many other ways. Not only is there concern for their safety (first and foremost) but also their ability to get "hooked up" with the wrong kind of kids, which is what everyone would complain about next(unsupervised, trouble making kids).
It has been proven that even when children are told repeatedly not to talk to or go with strangers, they will, it is their nature to be trusting. I knew someone I went to school with, he was 13, who was kidnapped in an upper middle class "safe" neighborhood. The man begged him to help him with a dog he hit with his car down the road. After much convincing the boy got in the car. He was abducted and taken to Maryland where all sorts of things happened to him before he was able to escape 5 days later. Just not worth the risk. Just because we were allowed to do certain things when we were younger doesn't make it right. My parents smoked in thecar when I was little, does that make it a good thing?

I can see your point here and agree with you

Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I can see your point here and agree with you
Me, too.

Nice post, SSD3!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Thanks bajanqueen and Ani.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM

249 posts, read 499,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
When? When the child is at a public park in the biggest city in the nation on a Saturday with hundreds of other children and adults?

John Walsh just called and would like to have a word with you.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
It has been proven that even when children are told repeatedly not to talk to or go with strangers, they will, it is their nature to be trusting. I knew someone I went to school with, he was 13, who was kidnapped in an upper middle class "safe" neighborhood. The man begged him to help him with a dog he hit with his car down the road. After much convincing the boy got in the car. He was abducted and taken to Maryland where all sorts of things happened to him before he was able to escape 5 days later. Just not worth the risk. Just because we were allowed to do certain things when we were younger doesn't make it right. My parents smoked in the car when I was little, does that make it a good thing?

Free Range Parenting is another term for lazy parenting.

No comments on the fact that the woman in question actually says that she doesn't let him take a cell phone because he might loose it?? That to me is the most insane part of it all. Get on a soap box about preparing your kid for adulthood but don't provide a basic means of communication most adults have to use in case of an emergency? How about first teaching him the responsibility not to loose a cell phone (which my 9 year old over protected child HAS), THEN let him loose to all the psychos and perverts in the city??

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I think it really depends on the kids, and the location. I think it's more common in urban areas for kids to become independent earlier and take public transportation on their own and learn their own way around.

This lady is really extreme, but I think that kids are somewhat more safe if they learn how to exist somewhat independently in their surroundings. If you live in a city, this might mean learning how to take a bus/train home, maybe in the burbs it's different.

I grew up in suburbs, but spent a lot of time in a large city with my parents. Supervised completely until age 10 or so, age 11-14 some short bouts of none-supervised, and age 14 or so taking the train into the city and spending the day by myself. It really helped me learn how to be independent, not panic if my parents weren't around, and figure out how to handle myself around strangers. THAT BEING SAID-- my parents also taught me to be very very wary of people and how to be aware of my surroundings. If you are going to let your kids explore independently you MUST also teach them how to identify safe/unsafe situations and how to problem solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: