U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 40,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I see very large groups of cyclists throughout Marvin/Waxhaw all the time... It must be a large club or something. They ride 2 or 3 abreast essentially taking the entire driving lane and there could easily be 50-60 of them total on a random day.

This is no intention at faulting the bicyclists, as a driver I need to give them the right of way - heck, I'm in a car! No excuses for HITTING them. But, there's definitely an assumption from these people that they own the road.

I live in the Waxhaw area and the roads are constantly bombarded with packs of bikers, many 8 cyclists deep. These roads are only one lane with no shoulder. As an experienced driver, I realize the amount of time it would take to pass all 8 and I am not going to even attempt it. Once a car attempts to pass the bikers, it is usually discovered that it will take more time than suspected to pass all, at the point where there will be oncoming in the other direction for the car attempting the pass. This is a problem that is extremely dangerous.

For a young inexperienced driver, that person may attempt the pass and wind up either colliding with an oncoming or knocking down the bikers to avoid it.

I'll just stay behind these biker packs while they clog up the roads, and I will drive 15 mph with 20 more cars backed up behind me for 20 minutes as usual because I know better, but this is the recipe for disaster.

I love biking, but would never choose to ride on a narrow road, one lane with no shoulder. I will ride in a safe place where I am not in danger and not causing others to be either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkmaker View Post
Hey moron,you're out of your mind if you think cyclists have as much right to the roads as vehicle drivers. Motorized vehicles have to be licensed, inspected, have insurance, most of all pay a highway usage tax. Cyclists pay nothing for highway use they don't even pay gas tax. So keep the damn things out of the way of vehicles that payed to be there. It is the bike riders
that are to blame for the accident.
The law says different.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
hey now lets not personal attack , be careful with your words Im all about freedom of speech,
but you got to stay within guidelines of the TOS Im not going to slap you but warn it summer.
u knock it off.
this is the summer relax
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 AM

841 posts, read 1,237,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Most of you could use a refresher in safe driving. If I don't have a clear vision of what's 200-300 yards ahead of me (or more) I don't plow through at 55 mph. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for bumbling on a group of cyclists (or anyone for that matter). As a driver you are responsible for driving the appropriate speed for the conditions... you never know what's going to be in the road.

I'm not doing it solely for the sake of any cyclists that may or may not be there... I'm doing it for the sake of the stranded motorist or family dog or tractor or little kid walking to the fishing hole that might be there.

It really rankles me that you people move out to BFE for the suburban life, commute 30-45 minutes (or more) to the city and by the time you meet ANY holdup on the road home you are so pissed off it slashes your rational thought process. Here's an idea... move closer to where you work so you're not so pissed off and in a hurry all the time. You'd be amazed at how minor traffic glitches don't even register when you're not electing to spend 10% of your life behind the wheel commuting.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees...
It may "rankle" you but people do have a right to live where they wish, commute as they wish, provided they drive in accordance with the laws and can afford the commute. Your sentiment is very heavy on stereotyping. I would venture to guess that MANY commuting drivers are not the "road ragers" you paint with a broad brush.
People have multiple reasons for choosing not to live in the city, many of which have to do with family choices, and it is their RIGHT. Don't vilify them as cartoonish "evil road warriors." In this economic climate, one may have purchased a home that was close to work, only to be forced to change jobs not closer to home.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,049,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I'm a cyclist, do about 6k a year. To be honest I have to agree with the comments most have about the large group rides around here. I've tried a few, but found them to be so inconsiderate of the motorists that I no longer participate.

Having said that, a lone cyclist out for a ride, riding on the fog line or to the right of it, is no issue for drivers. At most, it might effect your drive by a few seconds to pass. No one in Europe seems to have any issue with cyclist, they are all over the place....I'm not sure what the big deal is here in the states.
I don't think anyone should have an issue with one or two cyclists, they cause no harm. Its easier to pass them than another vehicle. The issue only lies with the large packs that impede traffic.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
It may "rankle" you but people do have a right to live where they wish, commute as they wish, provided they drive in accordance with the laws and can afford the commute. Your sentiment is very heavy on stereotyping. I would venture to guess that MANY commuting drivers are not the "road ragers" you paint with a broad brush.
People have multiple reasons for choosing not to live in the city, many of which have to do with family choices, and it is their RIGHT. Don't vilify them as cartoonish "evil road warriors." In this economic climate, one may have purchased a home that was close to work, only to be forced to change jobs not closer to home.
sure. of course people have a right to live where they wish. evidently people also have the right to point out incredibly obvious truisms that are so elementary they really should go without saying.

And it is at my discretion to consider them in any fashion I would like... my right, if you will. (see how silly that sounds?). from what I'm observing in this thread I consider some of them to be impatient self-centered nincompoops who wouldn't know a safe-driving technique from a hole in their head. if you want to post something sensible about road safety and respect for human life (even cyclists), then perhaps you may fall in a different camp. if you want to justify, implicitly or explicitly, callous disregard for cyclists on public roads then you will be rightly lumped with the "cartoonish evil road warriors" (your words, not mine).

Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,261 times
Cars and Trucks pay tax for road maintenance yes - but they do damage to the road where as bikes do not. Also almost all bike riders, at least here in Charlotte, have cars so also pay taxes.

Someone said a bike should let all the cars go through the light first - if I did that, I would often never make it through the intersection.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 7,190 times
Cyclists can hide behind the fact that riding bicycles on public roads is technically "legal" all day long, but surely the law created in the 1930's allowing this was intended to protect bicycles being used as a mode of transportation in lieu of driving, not to protect wanna-be tour de france d******bags out for a joyride. The vast majority of the "cyclists" I encounter clearly are not going anywhere productive, but merely playing dress up with their friends and getting a little exercise. Most probably go home, immediately hop in their SUV, and drive 3 miles to the closest Harris Teeter for some vitamin water, cursing the other "cyclists" as they drive. I go to the gym for exercise several times a week, and even if there was an antiquated law allowing me to pull my weight bench out into the highway, obviously I wouldn't do it. Both because of the danger in doing so, and out of consideration for others using the highway as intended.

Time to face the facts: Unless you are riding with a destination in mind and/or business to transact that you would otherwise drive to, "cycling" on public roads in a large metro area with an even larger traffic problem is, at best hugely inconsiderate to those of us trying to go about our necessary business, and at worst extremely dangerous for all involved. PLEASE GET OFF THE ROAD! Whether one is a good driver or not, nothing can be done if the frustrated driver in the oncoming lane who has been trapped behind "cyclists" for the last few miles decides to take a chance and attempt to pass around a curve or going over a hill. PLEASE, GET OFF THE ROAD.

I for one hope to read about more incidents like this one, if only to discourage more people from "cycling" and hopefully bring a few current "cyclists" to their senses.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Seriously, What's with the outfits? (and I'm not referring to the padded pants, more the shirts. But then again, maybe put some pants on over the spandex? Nobody wants to see that...)

Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 AM

515 posts, read 905,759 times
Even with a pack of cyclists, the difference in travel time to a motorist is on the order of one or two light cycles...if you are in that much of a rush to get to your destination, where a few minutes makes all the difference, maybe you should leave a bit earlier.....is a few minutes on a weekend morning really worth getting this worked up about?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
you hit some good points if your going to continue to bike in an urban setting spandex are not going to protect you . In an urban setting bicycling your increasing your odds of getting hurt or dead. Why do you bicyclist in
an urban settings want a death wish come out here in the country.
Take highway 27 til you see the brick silo with a tree growing out go left or right at that intersection.
there is oddles of straight road with easy hills and challenging ones to build strength.
I see one car maybe every 20 minutes sometimes an hour.
Share the road doesnt apply in a urban setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig2 View Post
Cyclists can hide behind the fact that riding bicycles on public roads is technically "legal" all day long, but surely the law created in the 1930's allowing this was intended to protect bicycles being used as a mode of transportation in lieu of driving, not to protect wanna-be tour de france d******bags out for a joyride. The vast majority of the "cyclists" I encounter clearly are not going anywhere productive, but merely playing dress up with their friends and getting a little exercise. Most probably go home, immediately hop in their SUV, and drive 3 miles to the closest Harris Teeter for some vitamin water, cursing the other "cyclists" as they drive. I go to the gym for exercise several times a week, and even if there was an antiquated law allowing me to pull my weight bench out into the highway, obviously I wouldn't do it. Both because of the danger in doing so, and out of consideration for others using the highway as intended.

Time to face the facts: Unless you are riding with a destination in mind and/or business to transact that you would otherwise drive to, "cycling" on public roads in a large metro area with an even larger traffic problem is, at best hugely inconsiderate to those of us trying to go about our necessary business, and at worst extremely dangerous for all involved. PLEASE GET OFF THE ROAD! Whether one is a good driver or not, nothing can be done if the frustrated driver in the oncoming lane who has been trapped behind "cyclists" for the last few miles decides to take a chance and attempt to pass around a curve or going over a hill. PLEASE, GET OFF THE ROAD.

I for one hope to read about more incidents like this one, if only to discourage more people from "cycling" and hopefully bring a few current "cyclists" to their senses.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Seriously, What's with the outfits? (and I'm not referring to the padded pants, more the shirts. But then again, maybe put some pants on over the spandex? Nobody wants to see that...)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or