U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,748,391 times

Advertisements

For those of you who think Charlotte has too many bicycles on the road, go visit Philly or Boston. They are everywhere. Was in Philly last month, and I was never driving at a city intersection without bikes next to me. This was around Penn and Drexel universities which are integrated with the city. Of course Boston is full of colleges too. Anyway, it could be worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,899,395 times
Hmmm I never bike on roads, too dangerous. I prefer to ride my bike on the sidewalk, I know it's illegal, but hey I'm a rebel.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 11,658 times
Saw this is on a bumper sticker:

When I'm driving, I hate pedestrians. When I'm walking, I hate drivers. But no matter what mode of transportation I am in I always hate cyclists...

Like it.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Just cause I CAN do something (and it isn't illegal) it doesn't mean it is a safe thing to do.

I agree with Sunny. If you are into biking (for recreation/exercise) . . . do it in an environment that is as safe as possible.

Now, that is just me . . . I have some behaviors that may be considered high risk (racing) but I sure as heck ain't gonna be racing w/o the proper equipment and in a venue where I would be putting other folks at an unassumed risk.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,748,391 times
Biking on sidewalk is legal in Charlotte - except uptown.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,240,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
sure. of course people have a right to live where they wish. evidently people also have the right to point out incredibly obvious truisms that are so elementary they really should go without saying.

And it is at my discretion to consider them in any fashion I would like... my right, if you will. (see how silly that sounds?). from what I'm observing in this thread I consider some of them to be impatient self-centered nincompoops who wouldn't know a safe-driving technique from a hole in their head. if you want to post something sensible about road safety and respect for human life (even cyclists), then perhaps you may fall in a different camp. if you want to justify, implicitly or explicitly, callous disregard for cyclists on public roads then you will be rightly lumped with the "cartoonish evil road warriors" (your words, not mine).
Spoiler

You've made some awfully big leaps in logic in thinking
I agree with running down a cyclist for calling you out for attacking suburban drivers.
Spoiler
You imply that people who live in suburbs should move closer to their jobs to avoid road rage then lecture me about substantive posts about road safety. Telling everyone to just move closer to work isn't a substantive road safety suggestion.

Really, your attack on drivers of cars is no different than the one-sided attacks on cyclists in the threads.

I'm done with this conversation. I'm just not really sure why you were so testy about it and decided to attack anyone you believe doesn't live close enough to their jobs to suit you.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-23-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,013,956 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
You've made some awfully big leaps in logic in thinking I agree with running down a cyclist for calling you out for attacking suburban drivers. You imply that people who live in suburbs should move closer to their jobs to avoid road rage then lecture me about substantive posts about road safety. Telling everyone to just move closer to work isn't a substantive road safety suggestion.

Really, your attack on drivers of cars is no different than the one-sided attacks on cyclists in the threads.

I'm done with this conversation. I'm just not really sure why you were so testy about it and decided to attack anyone you believe doesn't live close enough to their jobs to suit you.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-23-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 PM

97 posts, read 224,588 times
Actually, cycling on a sidewalk is more unsafe than on the road. Do you actually stop behind the stop light or sign, behind a sidewalk when leaving your driveway or alley? The numerous elements that can get in your way potentially running you off the sidewalk into the road where traffic isn't expecting you...

Just wait until you get some driver who does not follow the lines accordingly and stops right in front of you crossing the street on your bike.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:25 AM

841 posts, read 1,240,262 times
Spoiler
Native_Son: Ironic you claim I don't get your point with some pre-teen cartoon when you fail to see the fault in your own logic. Care to debate the point about safety vs. "just move closer to work!" or you wish to just continue making silly personal personal attacks? Perhaps personal attacks - first all suburbanites, then me for disagreeing with you - is the substance of your point.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-23-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,013,956 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Native_Son: Ironic you claim I don't get your point with some pre-teen cartoon when you fail to see the fault in your own logic. Care to debate the point about safety vs. "just move closer to work!" or you wish to just continue making silly personal personal attacks? Perhaps personal attacks - first all suburbanites, then me for disagreeing with you - is the substance of your point.
You're getting worked up about nothing. I thought you were "done with this conversation"?

I will debate the point all day long. It seems as if you're the one trying to glom onto one statement and turn it into a mass indictment.

Just one question: which camp are you in? The "bicyclists are at fault" camp, or the "driver's should exercise caution" camp?

And if you want to get into it about what has and hasn't been posted we can do it via PM. No sense in ruining this thread with your tangents.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-23-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or