U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM

223 posts, read 472,552 times

Advertisements

FYI tomorrow is bike to work day if anyone is interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,057,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Wrong. Bicycles are vehicles, too. As such, they are afforded the same right to travel the roads as any *motorized* vehicle (and are held to the same laws re: right of way, signaling turns, obeying posted signage, etc). They have no more obligation to move over and be passed than any other vehicle on the road. Just because your car is heavier or can go faster doesn't negate any of the rights of the cyclists.

The only place your argument would apply is a road that has a posted MINIMUM speed limit. The only roads like that I know of are the Interstates, and bicycles (or motorbikes under 125cc) aren't allowed there, so that's a non-starter.
While law dictates that they have the same rights as a vehicle, common sense dictates that when one is faced with a split second decision of colliding head on with an oncoming vehicle, or swerving to a lane occupied by a bunch of cyclists, the latter will prevail. The law allows me to do many things that my common sense would prevent!

I've never had a problem passing a single or a couple of cyclists. Its when they bunch up in ridiculous unnecessary numbers in tight pacts that cause the problem. If you could pass them one or two at a time, it wouldn't be an issue. But I can completely see a situation when your trying to pass all 15, you think you've got it, but since you've slowed down significantly to try to be careful, you've all of a sudden have an oncoming truck coming your way. Can't go back to the end, so you end up taking out the front of the pact.

And no, I don't drive a gray Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
intresting. So do you walk around in sweaty spandex all day, or pack your outfit in your fanny pack and sponge bathe in the bathroom? both quite unappealing options.....

Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 7,982,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
While law dictates that they have the same rights as a vehicle, common sense dictates that when one is faced with a split second decision of colliding head on with an oncoming vehicle, or swerving to a lane occupied by a bunch of cyclists, the latter will prevail. The law allows me to do many things that my common sense would prevent!

I've never had a problem passing a single or a couple of cyclists. Its when they bunch up in ridiculous unnecessary numbers in tight pacts that cause the problem. If you could pass them one or two at a time, it wouldn't be an issue. But I can completely see a situation when your trying to pass all 15, you think you've got it, but since you've slowed down significantly to try to be careful, you've all of a sudden have an oncoming truck coming your way. Can't go back to the end, so you end up taking out the front of the pact.

And no, I don't drive a gray Pathfinder
You *can* do whatever you'd like, however, it doesn't make it legal or make you less liable for your actions.

Common sense would dictate that you not attempt to pass the group of riders until it was safe to do so, no?

This is all beside the point, though, since this is not the scenario under discussion. Passing a group of cyclists is no different than passing a cluster of cars that are grouped closely enough that you'd have to pass them all at once. If you run one off the road because you didn't allow yourself enough room to complete the pass, you're still at fault. Granted the consequences for the vehicle you ran off the road are likely less dramatic for a car than a bicycle, but that doesn't make it OK and it CERTAINLY doesn't make it the cyclists' fault.

http://www.ncdot.gov/_templates/down...ebook-Full.pdf

Last edited by hooligan; 05-20-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,016,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
so that means we should ignore contributing negligence? Should we also not fault drunk drivers or drivers texting if they "are hurt". That is a novel idea.
I have no idea what you're talking about, please clarify. I HOPE you're not saying that the cyclists have "contributing negligence" for simply being on the road... that would be asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
if you think its okay to do 15 miles an hour with no chance for the driver of the car to pass , well thats wrong too. Roads are for CARS who travel the speed limit. If you move over then drivers should slow down and pass you safely AND patiently. But unless yer gonna do the speed limit, get out of the way.
Exactly how hard is it to pass a few cyclists doing MAYBE 30 mph? I think some of you need new cars if passing a bicycle becomes an insurmountable task.

Some of you should think real hard about your attitude toward cyclists, who have every right to be on the road too. These are people's sons and daughters, husbands and wives, mothers and fathers. When these people are killed or maimed because of somebody's impatience it affects entire families for a lot more than 5 or 10 minutes. For shame, for shame anyone who implicitly or explicitly justifies nonsense like that.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,749,573 times
The rural south is just terrible for cycling. The problem is that there are no paved shoulders to ride on as there are up north. Naive me - I used to think there were wide shoulders in the north for cyclists and safety. Recently I realized it's to have a place to plow the snow in winter. But it sure gives a great benefit to bicyclists.

I doubt that many bicyclists would ride two abreast when it's only a two lane road and a car is behind. Even when they do, they change to single file to let the car pass.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM

8,856 posts, read 7,982,242 times
The point is that the bicycles are VEHICLES, too. They have no obligation to ride on the shoulder of the road (i.e. to the right of the solid white line).

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

5,788 posts, read 8,439,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I doubt that many bicyclists would ride two abreast when it's only a two lane road and a car is behind. Even when they do, they change to single file to let the car pass.
Absolutely, positively - not... I see it almost daily. They will stay as much as 3 abreast with you behind them. Unless they're not realizing we're behind them, but that just doesn't make sense.

Take a ride down to Waxhaw one day.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
I bike to work frequently - did yesterday and will again tomorrow. 10 miles (roundabout way to avoid worst traffic when I can) from Olde Providence to South/Woodlawn. I keep extra clothes at work and change in the bathroom.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Absolutely, positively - not... I see it almost daily. They will stay as much as 3 abreast with you behind them. Unless they're not realizing we're behind them, but that just doesn't make sense.

Take a ride down to Waxhaw one day.
If that's true, then it's really rude. I am pro-bike, but believe in halting at red lights and being courteous to drivers. (even though they may not always reciprocate - yesterday a slew of drivers were behind me in the right lane. When they light turned green, a number turned right in front of me - I wanted to go straight - this was not a turn-only lane.)
Just don't paint us all with the same brush and assume the worst when you see a cyclist. Almost all of us are drivers too where as the reverse is not true.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:46 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,156,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
More Info

Last night a large group of cyclists, including members of GF/Suburu and some from the Pfeiffer University racing team, were on St. Stephen's Road out of Gold Hill heading back to Mt. Pleasant on a routine training ride on an oft-traveled training route.

A car heading toward them suddenly turned right in front of them into a driveway and all but stopped.

The pack slammed into the car at approximately 29mph. One rider went under the car, and one hit the car, followed by another. Yet another rider went over the car! Several others hit the ground, went into ditches, or onto the driveway.

The 21-year-old driver then simply put the vehicle in reverse, running over the bike of the rider who went under the car and nearly hitting him! In backing up, however, a large number of the cyclists there were able to get the tag number.

The driver took off. The highway patrol was given his tag number, and is looking for him to place him under arrest, hopefully with multiple serious charges filed against him.

One of the riders who slammed into the car went home late last night with a broken right collar bone. The rider who went over the car was walking and seems to be better, though reportedly had a concussion. The driver who went under the car is still in the hospital.

The other rider who slammed into the car did not have the broken leg that had been feared, but he does have a bad gash on his left leg. Last night around 12:35am, he was taken to surgery for compartmental bleeding and swelling in his leg. He is in the hospital until Saturday, unless he needs skin grafts, in which case he will stay until Monday.

If this is true, it sounds like the driver did it on purpose. Can you cite your source so we know it's legit?

I hope they recover all right. I think it's important to share the road, but I would never ride on the roads around here. There is no "share the road" mentality in this city, and it's not safe for either cyclists or motorists. I'd be happy to pay more for bike lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or