U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
really...... you don't know that you need to stop to offer aid to someone you've hurt, whether intentional or not??? My two year old has that down!

thank goodness there weren't any deaths, he would be screwed.

Hooligan:

Well, I stand corrected. That's not what the article stated when it was first posted. It has been updated using the same link.
In shock and in a panic we often do things we don't think we'd ever do.

Now, more mature, seasoned adults would know how to fight that panic and handle the situation, a young person might have a harder time knowing just what to do when the adrenaline is pumping.

We don't know if that is what happened in this case of course, but it seems very likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
8 pages of hate and only about 6 post with the actual facts in them.

The car was driving the opposite direction. Passing a cluster of bike riders has nothing to do with this thread.

The bigger problem is the Charlotte driving mentality. I just moved here 2 weeks ago but it sure seems like everyone hesitates before pulling out slowly in front of traffic. I can't understand why so many drivers are cutting in front of me but when I look in my rear view there is no one behind me. Is it really all about "beating" that last car?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
It's not about hate... it's more about senseless incidents occuring when mixing bikes and cars on the roads.

I personally feel that bicycles should not be allowed on roads with speed limits above 35 mph, unless there is a designated bike lane.

The roads are crowded enough with cars and trucks. Add in scooters, lack of shoulders, fewer and fewer passing zones, and the increasing lack of cooperation going BOTH ways between motorized and unmotorized vehicles and you've got a real mess out there with a growing potential for disaster.

Take bikes out of the equation and the roads will be utilized for more common modes of transportation that can "keep up" rather than impede traffic flow.

I know cyclists won't like my view, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,148,345 times
the bottom of that article has a pdf from the DMV that states cyclist and motorist rules. It clearly says that cyclists who cannot maintain the same speed as cars on the road need to stay to the right.

I agree w/you Stripes, at least for the city of Charlotte. This is not a bicycle friendly city. If bike lanes were put in, motorists would be more used to sharing the road w/bikes, but as it stands now, they are just a hazard, IMO. I only ride in my neighborhood or on a trail.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM

97 posts, read 224,483 times
This wasn't mentioned what so ever, over 30,000 people are killed each year on American highways. To add to that, 2009 was the first year that FEWER than 35,000 were killed in one year.

Let's give it up for the drivers!

Just make sure you are coming to a complete stop BEFORE the marked lines at stop lights and signs, before sidewalks when exiting driveways and alleys, use your signals when turning, drive the speed limit posted, and look before you open your doors on the street.

Do that and I just might believe people are good drivers.

Until then, share the road is a reasonable statement to make.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,174,428 times
Default Cycling and Motorists - Right of Way

Good God- another accident in Cabarrus county involving a hit and run, 4 cyclists injured? Do you know the rights a cyclist has on our roads?

Here is what is published.

[SIZE=6][SIZE=6]
Bicyclists’ Rights and Responsibilities
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
The bicycle has been legally considered a vehicle in North Carolina since 1937. Thus bicyclists have full
rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are subject to the regulations governing the operation of a
motor vehicle, where applicable.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]

Bicyclists’ Rights
The bicyclist has a right to ride on any state maintained road, except roads of the Interstate
Highway system and other fully-controlled access highways.
While a bicyclist should ride as far to the right as practicable, a bicyclist may ride well out into the traffic lane under the following conditions:
1) if he or she can maintain the same speed as other vehicles on the roadway;
2) if the right-hand edge of the roadway is in poor condition or is littered with debris.
A bicyclist is not required to ride on the shoulder, since the shoulder is not legally defined
as part of the roadway.
A bicyclist may choose to make a left turn from the appropriate lane, like a vehicle, or may dismount and walk the bicycle across the intersection, like a pedestrian.
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
Bicyclists’ Responsibilities
North Carolina traffic laws require the rider of a bicycle to:
1) ride on the right, in the same direction as other moving traffic;
2) obey all traffic signs and signals, including stop and yield signs and one-way directional signs;
3) use signals to communicate intended movements;
4) yield to pedestrians and emergency vehicles;
5) equip the bicycle with a front lamp visible from 300 feet and a rear reflector or lamp
which is visible from a distance of 200 feet at night;
Bicyclists should ride predictably and courteously to keep traffic moving safely and to avoid accidents. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]NCDOT,

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 AM

8,755 posts, read 7,957,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
the bottom of that article has a pdf from the DMV that states cyclist and motorist rules. It clearly says that cyclists who cannot maintain the same speed as cars on the road need to stay to the right...
Exactly right. What is fails to expound is what "stay to the right" means. Does that mean they must ride single file? Does it simply mean they have to stay in the right lane if there are two or more lanes of same-direction traffic? Does it mean they need to ride on the shoulder?

Honestly the anti-bike sentiment in this thread shocks me - and I'm not even a cyclist!

@cc0789 - No worries. These are still valuable scenarios to discuss, as it seems that lots of folks (myself included) are not 100% clear on the laws surrounding road-going cyclists.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM

440 posts, read 1,009,533 times
Before I moved here I used to bike in a club & we always went single file. I'm always appalled when I see the cyclists here repeatedly riding abreast. Giving a person the benefit of the doubt the only reason I can think of is that the shoulders here are practically non-existent or actually non existent. So I'm thinking that one of the rules of biking is applied, that it's better to assert yourself into the lane that way people can go around you. If you're on what should be the shoulder a car might think they can squeak by but when they get upon you realize they can't & then that can create an accident. I've done that on my own & maybe they think that it's the same concept but multiplied by many people even better. Who knows? I still wish they'd go single file but my heart goes out to the dangers of riding.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

249 posts, read 426,602 times
As a former cyclist, I'm all for sharing the roads. That being said, I DO NOT think that riding side-by-side and backing up traffic instead of riding in a cadence line is acceptable. I also think that riding in 5PM rush hour is not very smart either. I'll be more than happy to share the road, but let's use some common sense and follow the traffic laws.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac Nation View Post
As a former cyclist, I'm all for sharing the roads. That being said, I DO NOT think that riding side-by-side and backing up traffic instead of riding in a cadence line is acceptable. I also think that riding in 5PM rush hour is not very smart either. I'll be more than happy to share the road, but let's use some common sense and follow the traffic laws.
As I once posted on a cycling forum and cyclist that blows through a red light or stop sign and gets hit deserves everything they get and should have to pay for any damage they cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or