Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
They should also not be allowed to pass any cars that are stopped at a light. They should stop behind the last car in the lane that is stopped at a light. Let's say a bunch of cars had to pass the cyclist on a road and a mile later they hit a light. The cyclist ultimately catches up to them. The cyclist always passes the cars in line at the light and parks next to the first car at the light and waits (when they don't go through the light). Now, all those cars has to pass the cyclist again.
Why shouldn't they be allowed to pass a car stopped at the light? There is no law that says you can't have more than one vehicle in a lane so they definitely have the right to go all the way up to the light. The important thing is that they obey the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Most of you could use a refresher in safe driving. If I don't have a clear vision of what's 200-300 yards ahead of me (or more) I don't plow through at 55 mph. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for bumbling on a group of cyclists (or anyone for that matter). As a driver you are responsible for driving the appropriate speed for the conditions... you never know what's going to be in the road.

I'm not doing it solely for the sake of any cyclists that may or may not be there... I'm doing it for the sake of the stranded motorist or family dog or tractor or little kid walking to the fishing hole that might be there.

It really rankles me that you people move out to BFE for the suburban life, commute 30-45 minutes (or more) to the city and by the time you meet ANY holdup on the road home you are so pissed off it slashes your rational thought process. Here's an idea... move closer to where you work so you're not so pissed off and in a hurry all the time. You'd be amazed at how minor traffic glitches don't even register when you're not electing to spend 10% of your life behind the wheel commuting.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Why shouldn't they be allowed to pass a car stopped at the light? There is no law that says you can't have more than one vehicle in a lane so they definitely have the right to go all the way up to the light. The important thing is that they obey the light.
Because it's safer. There will be less cars that have to pass the cyclist that is unable to keep with the speed of traffic. In fact, I'll take it one step further: a cyclist should let ALL the cars in the line at the light go ahead of him or her.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Because it's safer. There will be less cars that have to pass the cyclist that is unable to keep with the speed of traffic. In fact, I'll take it one step further: a cyclist should let ALL the cars in the line at the light go ahead of him or her.
Well, then you need to lobby to change the law. That is not how it stands now.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Well, then you need to lobby to change the law. That is not how it stands now.

Perhaps. Until then, I can move my car as far right as I can so I prevent the cyclist from doing this or, at the very least, make it more of a hindrance for them to go around me. I can be an arrogant jerk too.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. Until then, I can move my car as far right as I can so I prevent the cyclist from doing this or, at the very least, make it more of a hindrance for them to go around me. I can be an arrogant jerk too.
Yep, you can do that too. Funny you should say that, I do it myself to cyclists that I have seen blowing stop signs/red lights. I don't want them out in front of me, they are the ones who are dangerous.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In shock and in a panic we often do things we don't think we'd ever do.

Now, more mature, seasoned adults would know how to fight that panic and handle the situation, a young person might have a harder time knowing just what to do when the adrenaline is pumping.

We don't know if that is what happened in this case of course, but it seems very likely.
that's still no excuse. Not only did he leave the scene... he ran the person underneath his car while backing up! I don't think you need to be a seasoned adult to care about a human life than escaping the consequences of your actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly right. What is fails to expound is what "stay to the right" means. Does that mean they must ride single file? Does it simply mean they have to stay in the right lane if there are two or more lanes of same-direction traffic? Does it mean they need to ride on the shoulder?

Honestly the anti-bike sentiment in this thread shocks me - and I'm not even a cyclist!

@cc0789 - No worries. These are still valuable scenarios to discuss, as it seems that lots of folks (myself included) are not 100% clear on the laws surrounding road-going cyclists.
thanks holligan. And no, it specifically states that they don't have to ride on the shoulder or if its unsafe to ride to the right. But if they have to abide by all other traffic laws, they should be riding a safe distance behind the other cyclists, as opposed to next to them...no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Most of you could use a refresher in safe driving. If I don't have a clear vision of what's 200-300 yards ahead of me (or more) I don't plow through at 55 mph. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for bumbling on a group of cyclists (or anyone for that matter). As a driver you are responsible for driving the appropriate speed for the conditions... you never know what's going to be in the road.

I'm not doing it solely for the sake of any cyclists that may or may not be there... I'm doing it for the sake of the stranded motorist or family dog or tractor or little kid walking to the fishing hole that might be there.

It really rankles me that you people move out to BFE for the suburban life, commute 30-45 minutes (or more) to the city and by the time you meet ANY holdup on the road home you are so pissed off it slashes your rational thought process. Here's an idea... move closer to where you work so you're not so pissed off and in a hurry all the time. You'd be amazed at how minor traffic glitches don't even register when you're not electing to spend 10% of your life behind the wheel commuting.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees...
that's exactly the problem. When you can see 300 yards ahead of you, but then you go to pass 15 cyclists, and trying to be careful by only going about 30 miles an hour while your passing them, it can take an extremely long time, and by the time your almost to the front, you might now encounter a bend or an oncoming vehicle.

And I don't work therefore have no commute, but still don't want to loose countless hours off my life sitting behind a pack of inconsiderate cyclists. So yes, minor traffic glitches DO register even when you spend 0% of your time commuting. And what's ironic is that a lot of those cyclists actually drive INTO the suburbs, park at one of the schools, and take off from there.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Last edited by Native_Son; 05-21-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
I'm a cyclist, do about 6k a year. To be honest I have to agree with the comments most have about the large group rides around here. I've tried a few, but found them to be so inconsiderate of the motorists that I no longer participate.

Having said that, a lone cyclist out for a ride, riding on the fog line or to the right of it, is no issue for drivers. At most, it might effect your drive by a few seconds to pass. No one in Europe seems to have any issue with cyclist, they are all over the place....I'm not sure what the big deal is here in the states.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Spoiler
If you see more than 3 pages you can its optional doesnt
work great with slow PC change page per view currently this thread only 3 pages
see post 2 in the tutorial guide below

In an Urban setting you have a death wish if your going to bike
Yes you have rights but you also have a right to see Jesus.
You cant bike this day & time in a urban setting. You got to deal with
more odds of getting hit. People only cares for themself texting while driving.
I was riding with this one guy who I grew up with and we was trying to figure
Which of the two Corys was Corey Haim so while driving he look it up on his
smart phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte