Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,622 times

Advertisements

Yes, but you don't end up with 6 project or tests due on the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's like college - you have classes that meet MWF and Tues/Thurs. The next week they switch up. At my son's school they called them "A" days and "B" days. So, one week "A" days were on MWF, the next week they were on T/Th - get it?
that sounds like an ideal way to do it. But the way UC does "block" scheduling is completely different. You would have 4 classes for the first half of the year, every day. Then 4 different classes for the second part of the year. I think that was what the OP was referring to, because they referred to the problem of taking math the first semester of say your Freshman year, and then not taking it again until the second semester of your sophmore year. So you have not practiced math for a whole year. And plus if you move to a traditional school district mid year, you are SOL, as you will have to sit through maybe English material you've already covered, but have missed 1/2 of your math class.

I think having a M/W/F and T/Th schedule consistent ALL year (except of course for your electives that only require 1/2 year) would be great!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
that sounds like an ideal way to do it. But the way UC does "block" scheduling is completely different. You would have 4 classes for the first half of the year, every day. Then 4 different classes for the second part of the year. I think that was what the OP was referring to, because they referred to the problem of taking math the first semester of say your Freshman year, and then not taking it again until the second semester of your sophmore year. So you have not practiced math for a whole year. And plus if you move to a traditional school district mid year, you are SOL, as you will have to sit through maybe English material you've already covered, but have missed 1/2 of your math class.

I think having a M/W/F and T/Th schedule consistent ALL year (except of course for your electives that only require 1/2 year) would be great!
I believe if you move to a traditional schedule and have already taken a class the first semester that is an all year class there, there is a way that you can take another class maybe a semester elective instead of repeating it again. Just show that you have the HS credit for it.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,020 times
Yes I (OP) was referring to a 4x4 schedule where my child would be scheduled to take Biology, Algebra II, Spanish and Art in semester one, THEN English, History, a second science and Social Studies in semester 2. The classes would meet for only one semester, but meet each day of that semester for 1 1/2 hours.

T

Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
Block scheduling is great for science. More can be done. Experiments can be conducted and analyzed the same day.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
I prefer the A day B day method. This way all your classes last all year, but you still only have 4 classes a day. The block method is terrible for math and foreign language -subjects where students need to keep brain wrapped around in a sustained way so as not to forget.
In high school, AP and IB classes are A day B day.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I believe if you move to a traditional schedule and have already taken a class the first semester that is an all year class there, there is a way that you can take another class maybe a semester elective instead of repeating it again. Just show that you have the HS credit for it.
when my niece transferred to another state, they made her take all the prerequisite courses that the new school required, they would not (understandibly) let her not take math, english, and science for a whole semester, since all students at that school were required to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I prefer the A day B day method. This way all your classes last all year, but you still only have 4 classes a day. The block method is terrible for math and foreign language -subjects where students need to keep brain wrapped around in a sustained way so as not to forget.
In high school, AP and IB classes are A day B day.
So is it up to the individual school, or is it a county decision? I agree, an A and B day method seems ideal, and it wouldn't affect any transferring students. Which schools do it that way.... I've only heard about the semester block way, which I'm not a fan of. But I do agree that 90 minutes is a lot better than 45 minutes.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Yes I (OP) was referring to a 4x4 schedule where my child would be scheduled to take Biology, Algebra II, Spanish and Art in semester one, THEN English, History, a second science and Social Studies in semester 2. The classes would meet for only one semester, but meet each day of that semester for 1 1/2 hours.

T
As I mentioned before this common throughout the state. Locally, I know Gaston county also operates this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte