Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Good schools in Charlotte North Carolina, school rankings, expensive neighborhoods, elementary schools, Union school district, Marvin Ridge Middle School, best schools in state

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,980 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

When I look at a school rank on greatschls, it shows low scores like 3s 4s etc... yet, parent reviews are practically raving... and you can tell when the realtors think the schools are better - because they include them in the listings.

So.. can someone please clear up for me what are the better schools and areas to live? We are moving from Baltimore because of the poor schools and expensive homes. I want to transition before August.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,885 times
Are you looking at elem schools, middle or high schools? In general, most Union Cty and Fort Mill schools are good, particularly Weddington schools in Union, Gold Hill schools in Fort Mill. There are several new schools opening this fall in Union Cty, all in good areas, and all should be good, and will also help ease overcrowding in schools like Weddington. In Mecklenberg Cty, some of the best elem schools include Providence Springs, Elizabeth Lane, Hawk Ridge. There are also good magnet schools. Jay M Robinson Middle and Providence HS are also good. All these are in South Charlotte/Meck Cty. I am not as familiar with north Meck Cty.

Where to live depends a lot on your price range. I guess if I had my choice, I would live in Weddington or Marvin in Union County. Fort Mill is also nice. In Meck Cty, I guess I'd try to get in the Providence Plantation area or Ballantyne area.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
We just moved to union because of the schools...there are quite a few new ones that are opening or have just opened right before the school year ended..Weddington is excellent from people who have children in those schools, My children will be going to the Brand New Rae View Elem and Marvin Ridge Middle School...which is located in Marvin/Waxhaw. and I hope its going to be a great school year come the fall....I think parent reviews are also very important in my opinion..

Good Luck

Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM

23 posts, read 22,360 times
I would say avoid Meck. County b/c of all the problems with schools. A best bet is Lincoln County which has schools that are award winning on a national level.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:31 AM

396 posts, read 1,630,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeaway View Post
Hi Folks,

When I look at a school rank on greatschls, it shows low scores like 3s 4s etc... yet, parent reviews are practically raving... and you can tell when the realtors think the schools are better - because they include them in the listings.

So.. can someone please clear up for me what are the better schools and areas to live? We are moving from Baltimore because of the poor schools and expensive homes. I want to transition before August.

Thanks.
It really and truly depends on how you define a "great" school. For some people, it will be the test scores. For other people it will be the curriculum used in the classroom; and then some it's all about the families that make up the school. For your situation, you will have to pick what is most important to you and then choose a school based on that: either scores, parent reviews or curriculum since you won't be able to actually visit a classroom. As a fairly new transplant myself, I would recommend spending some time on the phone with each school you are considering as each school offers a different set of curriculums and has a very different flavor. My kids were put in the "#1" school in Union Co. this year and we won't be going back next year. I blame only myself for not spending more time in the school before buying a house down the street from it. Our kids will be in private school next year until Union Co. gets their math curriculum worked out over the next couple of years. I think that they are trying very hard to do this after much feedback from both teachers and parents over the last two years.

My advice is, choose a house based on feeling at home in the neighborhood. The schools will be what you choose to make of them. There will be good and bad teachers in all schools (again...we were at the #1 school and know this first hand) there will be good and bad parts of the curriculum, there will be good and awful families everywhere (yes, even where the average house price is $1M). If we had it to do all over again....oh what a different choice we would have made. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
It really and truly depends on how you define a "great" school. For some people, it will be the test scores. For other people it will be the curriculum used in the classroom; and then some it's all about the families that make up the school. For your situation, you will have to pick what is most important to you and then choose a school based on that: either scores, parent reviews or curriculum since you won't be able to actually visit a classroom. As a fairly new transplant myself, I would recommend spending some time on the phone with each school you are considering as each school offers a different set of curriculums and has a very different flavor. My kids were put in the "#1" school in Union Co. this year and we won't be going back next year. I blame only myself for not spending more time in the school before buying a house down the street from it. Our kids will be in private school next year until Union Co. gets their math curriculum worked out over the next couple of years. I think that they are trying very hard to do this after much feedback from both teachers and parents over the last two years.

My advice is, choose a house based on feeling at home in the neighborhood. The schools will be what you choose to make of them. There will be good and bad teachers in all schools (again...we were at the #1 school and know this first hand) there will be good and bad parts of the curriculum, there will be good and awful families everywhere (yes, even where the average house price is $1M). If we had it to do all over again....oh what a different choice we would have made. Good luck to you.
This is a great point of view IMO. I think any kid can get a good education out of most schools if they are getting what they need at home. Unfortunately there are "awful" teachers and families in all areas not matter what financial bracket etc. I think how well our kids are equipped to handle those things with our help is key. We have been avoiding Meck Co. at all costs because of some preconceived school notions and have probably been short changes ourselves as far as nice homes, neighborhoods, etc. We too have been researching this for over a year and keep re-evaluating our thinking based on helpful posts like this one. Thank you all.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
See, this is where it gets tricky. I assume your children went to Wesley Chapel. I am not sure who told you that was #1, I wouldn't rate it #1 in Union County, but that is neither here nor there really. I have friends whose kids are at WC Elem. and they couldn't be happier.

So, some will be happy and some won't, even within the same school.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post

Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,999 times
Actually, my kids went to Weddington. They routed us over there due to over crowding at WC. They asked if we'd like to stay...as it looks like WC will be over capacity again. My younger ones may go to WC, but my oldest is already registered for private school. I think in K-2nd, the program is fine....but beyond that, it needs a bit of work.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Belmont has good schools

Old 06-16-2007, 09:24 PM

235 posts, read 730,209 times
We aren't there yet, but we rented a house in South Meck in Ballantyne. Our daughter will be going to Ardrey Kell HS which is only 6 months old and I have heard nice things about it and everyone in the school was very friendly when we went to check it out. My son will be in the New Elon Park school, which is being housed in the new Flat branch school, for a long winded reason but they will have the school to themselves until their school is ready for the next school year. Crazy, but hey my son thinks its cool to break in 2 new schools and they will all move together. Again everyone was really helpful. They say they have an advanced math program which my son needs so we will see.
Indraman, is the only reason you pulled them out because of the lacking math program??? If you don't mind me asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte