U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 PM

159 posts, read 348,850 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of renting a home in Birkdales Village. I'm interested in people's experience in this area. How are the schools? What is there to do besides shopping? What are the people like in this area?

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be great
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,911,426 times
Just to be clear, are you considering the neighborhood adjacent to the shopping area on the north side of Sam Furr road? I believe that area goes to Washam elementary in Cornelius. Probably a good school but I honestly don't know - my kids are much older. Double check which school and how good it is. That area is incredibly convenient as you can walk to Birkdale Village shops, restauarants and movie theater, you are close to Lake Norman, and easy access to exit 25 to get into Charlotte or zip over to the airport.

Check out the square where Starbucks is (also boardered by Red Rocks, Fox and Hound, and Brixx Pizza, with other restaurants nearby). On a warm weekend you will find kids playing in the fountain. Evenings the area is like a big block party as 100s come for dinner and to listen to free concerts at the square. Typically the little kids will be dancing in front of the music.

As for the neighborhood itself, I know a few very nice folks that live over there. (I am in Birkdale on the other side of Sam Furr rd). I think there are many with young kids. Like anywhere you have to be careful about who your immediate neighbors are. A generally nice area with great people can be ruined if the guy living next door is an A-hole.

I think renting would be ideal, in that you could enjoy all the advantages of the area without worrying about your home value and the longterm viability of the area. There is a greenway that just opened behind the movie theatre that extends up to Westmoreland rd. for walking, running or bike riding. The outstanding feature of this area really is convenience - close to everything. I took a drive over to Latta Plantation last weekend for the first time. I didn't realize how close that was too.

I hesitate to generalize about "what are the people like" other than to say I think most people are very nice and friendly, but that has been my experience.

(full disclosure) And before someone else mentions what a horrible dangerous area it is, a few weeks ago a teenager was killed in a car crash in front of the movie theater. The kids had been partying at a house in Birkdale Village. Neighbors report that the house had been the scene of much noisy partying ever since the renters had moved in, so that is the type of thing you have to watch out for.

here is a followup story
http://www.wcnc.com/news/mother-of-h...-93815769.html

Last edited by XcapefromNJ; 05-22-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 05:55 PM

159 posts, read 348,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Just to be clear, are you considering the neighborhood adjacent to the shopping area on the north side of Sam Furr road? I believe that area goes to Washam elementary in Cornelius. Probably a good school but I honestly don't know - my kids are much older. Double check which school and how good it is. That area is incredibly convenient as you can walk to Birkdale Village shops, restauarants and movie theater, you are close to Lake Norman, and easy access to exit 25 to get into Charlotte or zip over to the airport.

Check out the square where Starbucks is (also boardered by Red Rocks, Fox and Hound, and Brixx Pizza, with other restaurants nearby). On a warm weekend you will find kids playing in the fountain. Evenings the area is like a big block party as 100s come for dinner and to listen to free concerts at the square. Typically the little kids will be dancing in front of the music.

As for the neighborhood itself, I know a few very nice folks that live over there. (I am in Birkdale on the other side of Sam Furr rd). I think there are many with young kids. Like anywhere you have to be careful about who your immediate neighbors are. A generally nice area with great people can be ruined if the guy living next door is an A-hole.

I think renting would be ideal, in that you could enjoy all the advantages of the area without worrying about your home value and the longterm viability of the area. There is a greenway that just opened behind the movie theatre that extends up to Westmoreland rd. for walking, running or bike riding. The outstanding feature of this area really is convenience - close to everything. I took a drive over to Latta Plantation last weekend for the first time. I didn't realize how close that was too.

I hesitate to generalize about "what are the people like" other than to say I think most people are very nice and friendly, but that has been my experience.

(full disclosure) And before someone else mentions what a horrible dangerous area it is, a few weeks ago a teenager was killed in a car crash in front of the movie theater. The kids had been partying at a house in Birkdale Village. Neighbors report that the house had been the scene of much noisy partying ever since the renters had moved in, so that is the type of thing you have to watch out for.

here is a followup story
Police looking for woman who may have operated party house in connection to fatal accident | NewsChannel 36 | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, NC

Yes this is the exact location. Thank you for your honest feedback and thoughts. We are looking for a nice, convenient place to live with good schools (yes, Washam), nice professional people and fun stuff. Hopefully a place that this NJ family can de-stress and get into the Charlotte groove while we serach for a home to purchase.
Thank you

Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM

67 posts, read 169,079 times
We looked there last year...nice homes. Turned off by a lot of power lines running through the area (at least at the homes we looked at). Don't forget to look up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte