Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,441 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to the Matthews area next summer and I'm considering building a home. I want to build on my own lot that I don't have yet, but I want at least .5 acres. In my research, I'm finding that a lot of builders are only building in communities that they are developing and these lots aren't very big--not for my price range anyway. My price range is $150,000-$200,000. I'd appreciate any info or guidance to help me find a builder that will build on my own lot. Any general info about how home building works around there and neighborhoods or whatever you want to tell me, I'd appreciate. I'd like help in finding a lot also. I will have a middle schooler and high schooler when I get there. I'll be waiting for some good info.

Thanks,

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 08:08 AM

36 posts, read 125,233 times
Olympia Development Group, Give them a call 704 3342021 great guys to do business with!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy40 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to the Matthews area next summer and I'm considering building a home. I want to build on my own lot that I don't have yet, but I want at least .5 acres. In my research, I'm finding that a lot of builders are only building in communities that they are developing and these lots aren't very big--not for my price range anyway. My price range is $150,000-$200,000. I'd appreciate any info or guidance to help me find a builder that will build on my own lot. Any general info about how home building works around there and neighborhoods or whatever you want to tell me, I'd appreciate. I'd like help in finding a lot also. I will have a middle schooler and high schooler when I get there. I'll be waiting for some good info.

Thanks,

Sandy
First you need to find a lot. Land prices are going up all the time. Good luck

Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Outside of a development, you won't succeed in finding a lot in Matthews (especially of that size) and then be able to put a house on it for the price you mention. You're either gonna have to buy an older home on a bigger piece of land and spruce it up, or buy in one of the developments--and at that price you ain't gonna find a dev that gives you any land. You will largely find zero clearance homes.

Sorry!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
you can also try www.ubuildit.com and you could be your own general contractor. Just a thought.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
Default To good to be true

I am a General Contractor with over 20 years experience. I have constructed in excess of $125 million in residential and commercial projects during my career to date. I build a new home for myself about every 2 -3 years and let me tell you, as experienced as I am, It still sucks the life out of me... At the residential level, you're dealing with much smaller sub contractors who have a multitude of projects going on and will not dedicate their lives to you... If you haven't built professionally, You better have either an endless supply of funds and/or the ability to be on site everyday all day. Look at this scenario;

Your building a house for $300k. You anticipate saving $30k by doing it yourself.

Your grading contractor informs you of unsuitable soils which you can't build on. Who's fault? Owners for not testing soils prior to construction.
estimated cost $10-15,000.

Your foundation subcontractor sends his crew unsupervised and they mistakenly build walls out of plumb and out of square.
wasted material? $3500-5500.00

Your framer who subcontracts your job to someone cheaper sends a crew unsupervised and cuts your glue lam beams and uses them for scaffolds... Ther goes $2500.00. Thinking law suit? It'll cost more than $2500 to get a lawyer plus the hassle.

Your framer frames windows and door openings wrong because book bought blue prints aren't accurate.
cost to repair? $3500-5500.00. Who's fault? owner for not providing proper Rough openings prior to framing and even if you did they'll still do it wrong because whoever you gave the documentation to won't be on site and didn't distribute it to the crew who even if they received it used it for a napkin because they don't read or care. Law suit? see above reference.

My point is that you've only gotten through framing and your savings is gone. Wait until the finishes come in to play. People shouldn't build without experience. I would recommend trying a Ubuild type service for small projects like garages and small additions but never a project in excess of $75000.

Take my advice. Those do it yourself house flippers on TV lose money. They never tell you how much they made or how much it really cost...

Leave the construction to professionals. Thouroughly search for a contractor you feel comfortable with and that you can trust. The cheap guys is usually the wrong guy. I would recommend Olympia Development Group in Charlotte... Ask for Andy

Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Most developments or subdivisions have restrictions on how big the house has to be. YOu probably aren't going to find a contractor to build a house at that price that meets size restrictions. YOu'd do better to look at rural locations. Of course, then you're competing with developers who offer big bucks for that 10 acres. Don't mean to be so discouraging, but it's just the way things are in a growing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte