U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times

Advertisements

I used to play golf at Sharon Golf Course across the street from the PTL Club as a kid in the 70's. I understand the course is no longer there and that a senior living community is now on that property. I am just hoping anyone who may have pictures of this golf course could post them here to this forum or email them to me.

Thanks,

Greg Culpepper
Acworth, Ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,258,423 times
Hi Greg!

I grew up right near there but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the golf course. It is now the Cypress Senior center - you wouldn't recognize it at all!

Good luck finding photos - please post them if you find some!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
Hi Greg,
If you still want some old photos of Sharon Golf Course...
Contact Al Vaughan 704-607-9997 alvghn7@aol.com

As Publisher of the Carolina Golf Journal, we are going
to do an article on the Sharon Golf League that still has
some of the players that played at Sharon. This will be
their 20th anniversary year.

Hope this helps.
Sam Smith
Carolina Golf Journal
www.carolinagolfjournal.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthgreg View Post
I used to play golf at Sharon Golf Course across the street from the PTL Club as a kid in the 70's. I understand the course is no longer there and that a senior living community is now on that property. I am just hoping anyone who may have pictures of this golf course could post them here to this forum or email them to me.

Thanks,

Greg Culpepper
Acworth, Ga.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,898 times
Default Sharon Golf Course

I also played my early golf days at the Sharon Golf Course in the 1970's.
It was a great time to play during vacation from school. You could buy a "monthy" for $30 and play all you want. We had some great little"mini" tourneys of 18 and 36 holes. We all put a little in the pot and spread out the winnings.
Played 70 holes one day, fell out on the old iron swinging couch and was carried home by my neighbor Mr. Cook, AKA "Pewee" Cook.

I remember the temporary greens, just cut out of the fairways. The loading shoot on the first tee. Harry Waller sleeping on the couch. Remember Joe the greenskeeper. Bloodshot eyes all the time, but he could play an entire round with that 7-iron. Joe was as strong as an ox.

That was a great old course in it's time. A lot of great memories.

Marcel Deshaies
Goldston, NC

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Greg, I've created a golf course website and a golf course coding system that has every known golf course, including past courses and courses that have changed name or merged. It also includes golf associations, unions, clubs, etc. The only way to activate the personal pages are through my personal search engine on my website.

I would be interested in any and all information and images that will help keep Sharon Golf Club MA-0437.

[url=http://golftracer.com/golfclubs/Nc/NC_0437.html]

GolfTracer's - Golf Clubs & Code Numbers - Sharon Golf Club - NC-0437

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM

981 posts, read 1,455,335 times
Here is a 1968 aerial showing the course. The same pond is still being used today at the current Cypress development.

You can find this at historicaerials.com and also click on the other years listed on the left to see additional aerials. They are watermarked but you can purchase them without the watermark.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have pictures of Sharon 9 hole golf course-sharongolf.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte