Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I do not appreciate your continued insistance on taking this thread off topic
I think I got things off track, Loves, by mentioning skeletons in closets . . .

I think NMyTree has just been trying to make a point about intrusive signs.

To sum up my thoughts about saving these signs . . . they are part of a bygone era and b/c they were so visible and part of the landscape ("skyscape") for many years, it seems a worthy effort to try to save them.

As for what to do with them . . . I have seen very innovative use of old signs in other cities, including putting them on top of other buildings or making them part of galleries/museums. In addition, I have seen rooftop signs turned into freestanding signs (on poles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,449,925 times
Quote:
Ding, ding, ding, ding - We HAVE a winner!!

The poor Levines - they get hit up for everything

Fortunately for Charlotte they have been very generous to this city!
loves - If I hit the Power Ball or MegaMillions anytime soon, I'll cut you a nice, big check (It might help to win, if I actually played!) to buy a suitably-seasoned older building to start this museum. I'll pay you $150,000 to be "curator" and promise at least a 2% yearly raise!

Those poor Levines (and getting "poorer" at a rapid rate!) seem to get "soaked" for everything in Charlotte! God Bless 'em!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,169,679 times
I saw a reference to the JFG sign. I am pretty sure the current JFG sign is a reproduction of the original sign. The original was torn down for either I-277 or the BofA NFL stadium. I don't remember which except that it is less than 25 years old. It's not a dynamic display like the original where the letters were animated.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,312,703 times
Spoiler
thread under review post modification in progress

Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,312,703 times
Spoiler
Thread has been modify from Page one WARNING the spoilers

are true feelings. I hated in past censoring but now with the spoiler
you can be yourself there is no edited posts.
This thread was fun to read for the first time. You guys are funny

Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,146,514 times
Spoiler
Quote:
hey, no worries my friend, I don't lump you in with those looking to argue here, so no apology is necessary

Yes, my biggest concern in life is what group you lump me into, lol

Oh dear me

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 07:16 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,535,837 times
Quote:
I like that - nicely said

And part of "embracing your new home" is to learn its history, the story of the people who were there before you.

This would be a good place to remind newcomers that the Levine Museum of the New South is a fantastic place to learn a lot of Charlotte's history!
Assuming we needed to be reminded!

I always asusmed that you were a native of NC as you are often so disdainful of those that aren't.
As I've said before , we didn't all just fall out of a cornflake packet.

The Levine museum is good, but i think it would be better if there were people you could actually talk to, a bit like in the Charlotte museum of history.
Oh , and please, some windows.

We ended up talking to a black family when we visited the Levine museum.
Now that was a real history lesson.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Assuming we needed to be reminded!

I always asusmed that you were a native of NC as you are often so disdainful of those that aren't.
As I've said before , we didn't all just fall out of a cornflake packet.

The Levine museum is good, but i think it would be better if there were people you could actually talk to, a bit like in the Charlotte museum of history.
Oh , and please, some windows.

We ended up talking to a black family when we visited the Levine museum.
Now that was a real history lesson.

I am not a native North Carolinean - I am a native SOUTHERNER however.

I am not at all "disdainful" of those not from North Carolina or the south - this great country has many wonderful regions and beautiful places to be from. But after having visited many I would never choose to live anywhere but the south. What I enjoy here is a life I am proud of and at peace with. I DO feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have what I have But hey, if cowboys in Wyoming think they've got it better than me and are happy with THEIR lives, then I'm happy for them.

What it all boils down to for me is, KNOW where you are from - know the people, their stories, the lay of the land. BECOME a part of all you live among. And studying the history of a place is one of the best ways to do that.

When I came to Charlotte almost 25 years ago I could not have even pointed it out on the map. I had NO clue, none, where it even was in NC (it was a job transfer we had no choice but to take).

But I took the time to learn. In that first year I would drop my son off at kindergarten every morning then spend the rest of the day until it was time to pick him up again, exploring - getting lost until I had to look at the map and figure out where in the city I was. I must have put thousands of miles on my car. I went to all the historical sites I could, I read books by local authors. I knew we would be here a while and I wanted to be a part of my new home town, but to do that I had to understand it!

Just because I already had a very rich and interesting family history in my home state of Louisiana didn't mean that I shouldn't embrace my new city, and embrace it I always have. I guess I just do not get the people who only move here to get what they can from the place without ever a thought of assimilating or becoming a Charlottean, never caring what was here before they were.

But maybe that's just me.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-25-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,338,684 times
Personally , that sign and building it sits upon give character to that neighborhood. Given the redevelopment taking place , they should refurbish it into a church using volunteers from the neighborhood to assist.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,611,841 times
Geeze, taking ourselves just a little too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte