U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,012,679 times

Advertisements

My husband has noticed that there are often large empty soda bottles and either empty box/wrappings or empty medicine bottle first thing in the morning in the parking lot at work.

According to some of his colleagues who are nurses,they would seem to be skin patches of fentanyl, which is obviously a controlled substance. Wasn't sure what the bottle had contained (one of his work colleagues collects them up and puts them in the trash, quite where I'm not sure- hopefully not in their office) but one can maybe assume oromorph or something similar.

Is this something that should be reported to the police, or is it a fairly common and acceptable occurence in Charlotte?

I had thought that it should be reported but then it's not something I've ever come across before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM

249 posts, read 414,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
My husband has noticed that there are often large empty soda bottles and either empty box/wrappings or empty medicine bottle first thing in the morning in the parking lot at work.

According to some of his colleagues who are nurses,they would seem to be skin patches of fentanyl, which is obviously a controlled substance. Wasn't sure what the bottle had contained (one of his work colleagues collects them up and puts them in the trash, quite where I'm not sure- hopefully not in their office) but one can maybe assume oromorph or something similar.

Is this something that should be reported to the police, or is it a fairly common and acceptable occurence in Charlotte?

I had thought that it should be reported but then it's not something I've ever come across before.

Yeah, you pretty much find that stuff outside every place of business here in Charlotte.

JOKING!

I would probably clean it up and get rid of it, but I wouldn't report it. The police probably would take days to respond if they even did. Not sure what I would expect them to do.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac Nation View Post
Yeah, you pretty much find that stuff outside every place of business here in Charlotte.

JOKING!

I would probably clean it up and get rid of it, but I wouldn't report it. The police probably would take days to respond if they even did. Not sure what I would expect them to do.
OK -thanks.

As I said, we've never come across this before even though he worked in London for 6 years. When he told me I was surprised.

I wasn't sure how hard the police work to try and track down dealers etc , or if medical grade drugs like this , rather than crack etc, were harder to get hold of.

He works on East in Dilworth. Maybe it's a staff member from CMC

JOKING

Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times
I've got an idea. Let's put 3000 cameras in the area and maybe they'll catch the perp.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM

249 posts, read 414,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
OK -thanks.

As I said, we've never come across this before even though he worked in London for 6 years. When he told me I was surprised.

I wasn't sure how hard the police work to try and track down dealers etc , or if medical grade drugs like this , rather than crack etc, were harder to get hold of.

He works on East in Dilworth. Maybe it's a staff member from CMC

JOKING
Unless you catch someone in the act, it would be tough to take action.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I've got an idea. Let's put 3000 cameras in the area and maybe they'll catch the perp.
Wow-great idea.
D'ya think CMPD might do that?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM

339 posts, read 609,079 times
I'd be suspect that these are nurses or other medical professionals doing this. I mean they are bottles and other controlled substances and you work at a place with a bunch of nurses... hmmm...

Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
While addiction is a well-documented problem with a small percentage of medical professionals, it is not likely folks would be manufacturing meth, shooting up, or snorting coke outside their place of work.

The perps are probably gathering there b/c they have found it is a fairly safe area that isn't patrolled by CMPD on a regular basis (or a security guard, for that matter).

If someone is concerned, as it does appear that spot is attracting addicts, one could always take pictures of the discarded paraphenalia daily - and then send the photos to CMPD and ask if they have time to swing by and see what is going on . . . however, I am so against incarcerating addicts - what would be gained by throwing people in jail.

On the other hand, you didn't give a good description of the bottles involved. Are you talking liter sized soda bottles? These are used in making a type of meth - and the process is dangerous.

New Method to Make Meth in Soda Bottles Makes it Easy for Anyone - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

If those are soda bottles, I would definitely contact CMPD, as someone could be seriously injured if folks are standing around manufacturing the abovementioned product.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,915,321 times
I think it would be worth a call, to at least ask them to step up patrols there. It's unlikely they would launch a huge investigation, but you never know - it might also provide a piece of a puzzle they're working on.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

716 posts, read 1,327,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
While addiction is a well-documented problem with a small percentage of medical professionals, it is not likely folks would be manufacturing meth, shooting up, or snorting coke outside their place of work.

I thought that people in the medical profession were drug tested once every year? Or atleast on a random basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte