Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:07 PM

43 posts, read 155,405 times

Advertisements

Our family of three + Coonhound + cat is moving to Charlotte in June!

What I need to know:
  • neighborhoods we should definitely look at for renting [at least] a 2 bedroom house with a reasonably-sized yard. I have two friends in Charlotte who have advised me to look in the SW area, of course that's where they live . However, I can't seem to find a rental home in that area that fits our budget ($900 or less a month) and is far enough West of 77 (essential according to one of my friends). Is that too narrow a search area, if so where else can I look? I'd like to be fairly near I85 because we'll be visiting family in SC & VA often. I'd also like a somewhat rural vibe, and was hoping to raise rabbits in the backyard. I need dog-friendly, preferably wooded, walking/hiking trails reasonably nearby. My husband is still looking for work, and I currently work from home, so we don't have a specific commute in mind.
  • elementary schools? I'm seriously considering home-schooling but would still prefer to live in an area with good schools, in case I wind up having to work outside the home or my son really hates homeschooling.
  • things to do with a 6 year old, especially during the Summer months.
  • things to do with a non-hunting Bluetick Coonhound; which are the best off-leash areas we can go to? Right now I have a group of friends with big dogs that we walk with every morning, out in the desert. The dogs are off-leash and get to practice "pack manners" & exercise. It's awesome, for the humans too, and I'd love to join a group like that in Charlotte.
  • where to find good PuertoRican, Dominican, and/or Cuban food, grocers & family restaurants.
  • CSAs? farmers' markets? how, where, when?

Feel free to add anything else I haven't thought of. I've hated living in AZ, *loved* living in Portland, OR before that, and have lived many places I didn't love so much. I'm excited to start over in Charlotte, and I sure would appreciate some help in making this a great move for our family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
If you want to be on the SW side of town, you're better off going just over the border to Fort Mill or Tega Cay, SC. Has everything you're looking for as far as schools and doesn't have the issues that SW Charlotte closer to I-77 have.

On the NC side, Lake Wylie will do, but that's going to be more pricey.

With no traffic, I-77 in Fort Mill is a 20 minute drive to I-85.

As far as your six year old is concerned, that side of town also contains Carowinds, a major theme park in the southeast. The cost of a season pass is about the same as two visits. Look for discount coupons pretty much everywhere.

South Blvd will also have you covered for Hispanic markets.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
I'm curious, what are the issues in SW Charlotte near I-77?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,632 times
Carowinds is located on the NC/SC border near I-77. The park features several roller coaster and a nice water park.

Uptown - Discovery Place, Imagine.

I am just going copy our moderators sugestions....

More Things to do with the kids indoors. Feel free to contribute other great indoor places for the kids to go.

Build A Bear Workshop
Build-A-Bear Workshop-United States: Home Page
Locations Concord Mills, Carolina Place, North Lake
unique ineractive experience for kids

Inner Peaks
Inner Peaks Climbing Center, Charlotte NC
Inner Peaks is the largest, state-of-the-art, full service indoor climbing gym in the Charlotte area.

Club Libby Lu
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
Super fabulous girls can get makeovers parties, play games, get advice, and find really cool princess paraphernalia

Laser Quest
Welcome to Laser Quest, live action laser tag at its best!
Live Action Laser Tag at its best

The Ice House
The Pineville Ice House (http://icehouserinks.com/pville/index.html - broken link)
Charlotte's premier ice skating facility offering a countless entertainment options for children and adults

Zuma Fun Center
http://www.zumafuncenters.com/charlotte/home.html (broken link)
Family entertainment, birthday parties and group events

AMF Bowling Center
http://www.amf.com/corporate/Reserva...h_results.amfx
leading bowling facility

Are You a Mom looking for other Mom's to hang out with?

Charlotte Mommies
CharlotteMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community
Lake Norman Mommies
LakeNormanMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community
offers a simple way to connect with local moms for friendship, support and fun

Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Im curious as well....what are the issues with Arizona?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
The SW part of Charlotte is called Steele Creek. You may want to look in Gaston county, just west of Charlotte. It is close to SW Charlotte and 85 runs through it. It will be hard to be far west of 77 in SW Charlotte. Here is a map - link. As you see 77 runs SW into South Carolina. The 485 exits (Tryon St, Arrowood Rd and Steel Creek Rd) in Steele Creek are 1, 3, and 4 miles from 77. 77 is just as close if not closer in other parts of Steele Creek. To be closer to 85 you will need to be in western Charlotte/Mecklenbutg County.

Quote:
things to do with a non-hunting Bluetick Coonhound; which are the best off-leash areas we can go to? Right now I have a group of friends with big dogs that we walk with every morning, out in the desert. The dogs are off-leash and get to practice "pack manners" & exercise. It's awesome, for the humans too, and I'd love to join a group like that in Charlotte.
This area has very strict leash laws so I don't think you will find anything like that here.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:56 AM

28 posts, read 37,028 times
I'm also curious about the SW Charlotte issues near I-77??

Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 AM

This is what my friend wrote to me when I pressed her on why she didn't think a house I'd found on CL was a good option:

Quote:
Traffic on the 485 is bad going E in the morning and W at night. 77 is bad going N in the morning and S at night. (This is all coming from S.)

As far as that area -- anything just off 77 is not as good of an area as off 485. It's more urban, more crime, less money. More poverty/poor housing.
After this, several other houses have been dismissed as "too close to 77!" Since I don't live there, I don't know, which is why I'm asking here. Maybe she only *thinks* she knows that other areas are bad. We all get into our comfort zones

A lot of listings on CL have turned out to be scams, BTW. Very frustrating! My other friend will be looking at a house for us today in the Tuckaseegee & Little Rock Roads area, she went by yesterday to look at the outside and spoke to a neighbor who said he's been happy there for 20yrs. (thoughts, comments?) So I'm hopeful, but I need to know where else to look if this one falls through. No one has mentioned living in Belmont or Mt. Holly as options... ? (husband went to college at Belmont Abbey a million years ago) Both of my friends live in the Steele Creek area and they love it. The Starmount neighborhood was also recommended. Unfortunately for me, I've found houses for sale in that area but not for rent. (as an aside, I think it's funny to read comments on this board about high real estate prices in NC, since I've been living in the West for 17yrs and prices in all three states I've lived are comparably much higher for the house you get)

As to why I don't like AZ... I never wanted to live somewhere where it's this hot; we moved here for my husband's job, which he is now losing (through no fault of his own but rather due to downsizing as a result of the economy). Summer is my least favorite season and I love rain. The Portland, OR area had the best weather for my temperament, I'm hoping Charlotte's will be similar. There are other reasons besides the weather (political, social) but if all those were resolved, The Weather would still drive me out of here! The city where I live has an official unemployment rate of 22%, the 2nd highest in the country. The nearest comparably-sized city to us is El Centro, CA which has the highest unemployment rate in the country.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Pretty much as I suspected.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Pretty much as I suspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte