Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 32,685 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anyone know anything about the Ballanmoor subdivision? My husband and I toured the model home by Ryan Builders and really liked the plans they had to offer and where the subdivision was located.

Any idea where I can find what other homes sold for in this subdivision?

Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapnkap View Post
Hi,

Anyone know anything about the Ballanmoor subdivision? My husband and I toured the model home by Ryan Builders and really liked the plans they had to offer and where the subdivision was located.

Any idea where I can find what other homes sold for in this subdivision?

Thanks,
Karen

Karen, the location is great - the schools are the best, but I'd be REAL hesitant to buy new construction right now.

Not sure how much still needs to be done to finish this subdivision out (haven't been that way in a while) but if it's not at least 3/4 done I'd pass because the chances are good it will not be finished for years. Did you husband say if the pool and other ammenities are in place?

This link on City-Data has some info:

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...bdivision.html

Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 32,685 times
The pool wasn't in yet. We toured it in the rain, so we couldn't walk around and get a good view of it.

We're not looking to buy for another year or so, but it didn't look anywhere near complete (at least from the quick look around that we had).

I agree, the location is great!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:16 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,211 times
When they first started marketing Ballanmoor, there was a big sign on Ardrey Kell advertising homes from the "low 600s". Now, a year and a half later, the sign says "homes from the low 300s". I guess the developers were originally targeting a much different audience. Can't believe they're still going to build it.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
It was a different builder that had the higher priced homes. Ryan had an option for town homes and renegotiated the lot prices and then switched to single family.

They are offering a lot for the money and sales are taking place believe it or not.

To the original question that was asked...check meck county tax records for the recorded sales prices. These won't factor in any closing costs that were possibly paid by the builder but will give you an idea what the purchase price was.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
When they first started marketing Ballanmoor, there was a big sign on Ardrey Kell advertising homes from the "low 600s". Now, a year and a half later, the sign says "homes from the low 300s". I guess the developers were originally targeting a much different audience. Can't believe they're still going to build it.
Indeed. I suppose there are still enough people around, who are in complete denial of the economic situation, who will go for these places to keep this business going. I guess it doesn't help that the real estate community still hawks these places as "good deals" and of course there is the government that is still trying, as desperately as possible to keep the housing bubble inflated, somewhat.

It's going to be a huge mess for these people. It's going to be a huge mess for all of us.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
It was a different builder that had the higher priced homes. Ryan had an option for town homes and renegotiated the lot prices and then switched to single family.

They are offering a lot for the money and sales are taking place believe it or not.

To the original question that was asked...check meck county tax records for the recorded sales prices. These won't factor in any closing costs that were possibly paid by the builder but will give you an idea what the purchase price was.
So somebody built a house for low 300s next to someone who built for low 600s? That sounds crazy.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
No, they were just advertising those prices before. Ballanmoor is the development now.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 90,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed. I suppose there are still enough people around, who are in complete denial of the economic situation, who will go for these places to keep this business going. I guess it doesn't help that the real estate community still hawks these places as "good deals" and of course there is the government that is still trying, as desperately as possible to keep the housing bubble inflated, somewhat.

It's going to be a huge mess for these people. It's going to be a huge mess for all of us.
Man, I would hate to hear how you would classify someone who is considering buying a vacation home today. Too much of a general "everyone should be scared senseless" rant for my tastes. I could be watching the local news right now and get that sort of globalized jibberjab.
I have decent grap of economics and did some real estate investing over the years. It might open me up to ridicule, but last week I decided to buy a new home. Please hold the tar and feathers.... Chose the neighborhoood and home for family reasons, did my homework, and confident in my decision. Not quite sure how this will "be a huge mess for me". Certainly don't expect it to "be a huge mess for all of us".

Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 AM

162 posts, read 729,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
No, they were just advertising those prices before. Ballanmoor is the development now.
Yea, we looked at this neighborhood about 6 months ago. The agent on duty said originally they intended to build custom homes in the 600k range and when the bubble popped, Ryan stepped in with the current project. They are going with a slow phased approach... there weren't many lots to choose from and buyers were picking up all the larger cul-de-sac lots.

In the long term, I can't imagine that this development will struggle... Ardrey Kell is within walking distance and it is sure to be one of the best high schools in the city for a long time...if you can wait for the amenities and some neighbors to fill in over the next 5 yrs, it will be ok. Ryan builds a good home from what I understand, we have friends that live in their Fort Mill subdivision and we have viewed home in Weddington Trace, they are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte