Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
I will gladly give you the snowstorms and the 3 feet of snow any day. At least when it's hot here I can go cool off in Lake Norman or Lake Wylie. I've spent many memorable (or is it forgettable) winters in NJ and Chicago when I was younger and would much rather sweat here for 3 months than have to deal with that stuff.
Exactly..thats what you prefer and that is great. Oh, have you ever gone in Lake Norman or Lake Wylie in July or August? You call that relief? Its like settling into a hot bath.

I'm not gonna debate the weather..its what you prefer that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 AM

128 posts, read 272,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly..thats what you prefer and that is great. Oh, have you ever gone in Lake Norman or Lake Wylie in July or August? You call that relief? Its like settling into a hot bath.

I'm not gonna debate the weather..its what you prefer that counts.
Agreed. It's all about personal preference. I've actually spent a good amount of time at Lake Norman in July and definitely consider it relief, that is if you get out of the boat and into the water.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times
I'm a Southern girl, lived in Charlotte for most of my 50 years. However, I HATE the hot, humid summer weather, but it is home and I've never been really tempted to leave.

I know there are nice people anywhere you go and some not so nice, too. The weather is just something you get used to, but home is always home.

I think what you truly what miss JP03 - is home. Like Dorothy says " there's no place like home."

I hope you're able to move back and glad you found some things you enjoyed here.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I'm a Southern girl, lived in Charlotte for most of my 50 years. However, I HATE the hot, humid summer weather, but it is home and I've never been really tempted to leave.

I know there are nice people anywhere you go and some not so nice, too. The weather is just something you get used to, but home is always home.

I think what you truly what miss JP03 - is home. Like Dorothy says " there's no place like home."

I hope you're able to move back and glad you found some things you enjoyed here.

Well, thank you for the kind words and you hit it right on the head. Its not home to me. Like I tell friends back home, this is far from a bad experience (which is why the house is not on the market yet). If I can stomach the loss on the house I think I will look back at this time period fondly. Especially as I pay my monthly mortgage and taxes up there

I think all I was trying to tell the OP was ..don't move for the financial aspect...its not enough..weigh it all. I still think renting for a couple years is very wise..I missed the boat on that.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6 View Post
Hi there everyone. My family and I are seriously considering moving to Charlotte and I'm looking for information regarding good schools and locations. We are relocating from New Hampshire so that makes it hard to physically check out areas for ourselves so I hope that you all can help me. We have 6 children, ages ranging from 7 to 13. Our first priority is basically moving there and not having to move again. We want to avoid yanking the kids in and out of schools.
Right now we are looking for a rental, my husband works remotely so that helps in not restricting us to any one location. We comfortably top out at about 1600.00 a month towards rent... so if anyone has info about rental houses that would be awesome also!

Thanks in advance for your time!!!
Does your husband need access to the airport, frequently?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 25,812 times
Default Back on Track

Did anyone see the post bout Cabarrus School District? Anyone have opinions about that area?

Quote:
Does your husband need access to the airport, frequently?
I don't believe it'll be all that frequent that he'll need to travel. Curious why you are asking?

Quote:
I think all I was trying to tell the OP was ..don't move for the financial aspect...its not enough..weigh it all. I still think renting for a couple years is very wise..I missed the boat on that.
The financial aspect is just a part of it. There is also the convenience of being close to my brother and his family as well as being closer to my step children's mother so that they don't have to suffer the stress of flying by themselves. Obviously this is a HUGE decision and one that my husband and I haven't taken lightly... many MANY long chats about this decision and we are both very excited to move.]

As far as the weather goes... I HATE cold and find it much easier to cool down then to get warmed up. I grew up suffering SoDak winters.. blizzards, ice storms, wind... snow drifts as high as two story homes... white knuckles and eyes clenched tightly shut as your sliding to the stop sign, so yeah.. we are all very happy to be in warmer weather and hopefully no white stuff!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Did anyone see the post bout Cabarrus School District? Anyone have opinions about that area?

I don't believe it'll be all that frequent that he'll need to travel. Curious why you are asking?

The financial aspect is just a part of it. There is also the convenience of being close to my brother and his family as well as being closer to my step children's mother so that they don't have to suffer the stress of flying by themselves. Obviously this is a HUGE decision and one that my husband and I haven't taken lightly... many MANY long chats about this decision and we are both very excited to move.]

As far as the weather goes... I HATE cold and find it much easier to cool down then to get warmed up. I grew up suffering SoDak winters.. blizzards, ice storms, wind... snow drifts as high as two story homes... white knuckles and eyes clenched tightly shut as your sliding to the stop sign, so yeah.. we are all very happy to be in warmer weather and hopefully no white stuff!
I asked because you said that your husband works remotely & sometimes that means frequent flying.

The airport is on the west side of Charlotte. That might play a part in where you look, if he needed frequent access. That's all.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM

19 posts, read 25,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I asked because you said that your husband works remotely & sometimes that means frequent flying.

The airport is on the west side of Charlotte. That might play a part in where you look, if he needed frequent access. That's all.
OH! I completely understand. He's fortunate that his travel will probably be minimal... but thank you for pointing that out!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
OH! I completely understand. He's fortunate that his travel will probably be minimal... but thank you for pointing that out!
You're welcome. My father travelled a lot & I've known others who also did. It just comes to my mind, immediately, when I see that someone will be working remotely.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

If we are lucky we see the white stuff twice a year

Summers are really not so unbearable, though I know that's all relative (pun intended!). See, I grew up in Louisiana - you've never suffered summer weather until you've lived THERE (or Texas!). Here we get about 2 miserable weeks around the first of August, but every where you go is air conditioned, so I don't see the big deal. It's a small price to pay to live in such a wonderful place

Cabarrus County has a much smaller, and therefore more manageable, school system than Charlotte. If you look to live where Charlotte and Concord meet on the west side of interstate 85 you'd find lovely neighborhoods and brand new schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte