U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM

114 posts, read 327,036 times
Default Relocating to Charlotte?

I've read a lot of great things about Charlotte online and on city-data; however, I'm curoius to hear some of the negatives. If folks from Charlotte wouldn't mind sharing a few, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 PM

5,193 posts, read 3,578,416 times
HOT in summer...lots of traffic. Other than that all good.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,796,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepballer View Post
I've read a lot of great things about Charlotte online and on city-data; however, I'm curoius to hear some of the negatives. If folks from Charlotte wouldn't mind sharing a few, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Bad drivers that never heard of merging into traffic.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 PM

117 posts, read 258,018 times
Groceries and utilities are more expensive then in the Northeast but housing and taxes are much cheaper

Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,583,139 times
deepballer - what specifically are you looking for?

You can find alot of positive and negative feedback on here. I second the driving and traffic. You will get used to the heat.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM

755 posts, read 1,579,805 times
The CMS school system is too big and unwieldy. Suburban school districts would be a much better way to handle the needs.

Taxes are raised every single year, but we have inadequate roads and no police protection.

Crime/murder rates have been consistently going up, but we're told by the police chief that we don't have a crime problem.

City leaders want to play sym-city, not realistically look at the city's future and plan for it. They chose to build an arena the voters said "No" to and they are building a light rail train to nowhere.

Turn signal? What's that?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 AM

23 posts, read 156 times
To be fair, a lot of the traffic problems are because of the two major interstates that run through Charlotte, and also because South Charlotte traffic is just insane for some reason. If you choose your location carefully, traffic is not that much of a problem, especially in some of the northern areas like Lincoln County. I would NEVER live in Meck. County. School problems are horrific, as are taxes. Go a little further out. Enjoy going "uptown" when you need to/want to, but live a more relaxing life! JMHO.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM

154 posts, read 423,014 times
Never ever ever get on I-85 or I-77 between the hours of 7:30am-8:30am, and 5pm-6:30pm. Wrecks everyday. It's also very hot in the summer. It's 93 right now. Stay away from west Charlotte, as well as the University area if you can help it.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM

929 posts, read 2,583,139 times
Default Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtrip View Post
Never ever ever get on I-85 or I-77 between the hours of 7:30am-8:30am, and 5pm-6:30pm. Wrecks everyday. It's also very hot in the summer. It's 93 right now. Stay away from west Charlotte, as well as the University area if you can help it.
Now you really need to defend why a new comer should avoid West Charlotte and the University area. I know the reasons why I would avoid, but your statement is too generalized.

From a traffic standpoint these highways can back up as early as 6:30am with accidents. These are rush hour and similar traffic conditions can be found in other large cities. I know there are accidents on the highways every time it rains, especially during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte