Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times

Advertisements

I just watch it for the crashes. I thought everyone did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
I just watch it for the crashes. I thought everyone did that.
If you are going for the crashes, then you need to look for a race on a figure 8 track.

YouTube - crashes figure 8 wrecks

Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I don't know why Concord Speedway did away with a lot of those types of events (maybe it was a liability issue?) but they used to be fun. I liked the one where the cars do 20 laps - changing direction after completing 10, or the one where the second car over the finish line won.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Sunny, Pocono is not too far north of Philly & Dover is not too far southeast of Philly. So, yes, there are NASCAR fans up there
I've been a fan since the mid-70s when you could only listen to select "Winston Grand National" series races on cheesy AM radio stations on Sunday and maybe catch a line or two about the race tucked in the back of the sports section of the newspaper. This was back in my native NJ.

Believe me, I took a lot of crap about my liking Nascar from peers and higher-ups when I was a mid-level manager at the phone company. Ironically, once the money came to the sport, they all became fans and the sport started to see alot of us die-hard fans lose some interest.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I've been a fan since the mid-70s when you could only listen to select "Winston Grand National" series races on cheesy AM radio stations on Sunday and maybe catch a line or two about the race tucked in the back of the sports section of the newspaper. This was back in my native NJ.

Believe me, I took a lot of crap about my liking Nascar from peers and higher-ups when I was a mid-level manager at the phone company. Ironically, once the money came to the sport, they all became fans and the sport started to see alot of us die-hard fans lose some interest.
LOL, I've always lived near a dragway. Martin, in Michigan & Atco in South Jersey. There's a dragstrip someplace around here, too. I think near Boiling Springs or Shelby.

I couldn't remember how long Pocono has been open, so checked. 1968. NASCAR's been there since '74. Pocono Raceway - Track History (http://www.poconoraceway.com/track_history.asp - broken link)

Dover has been open since '69 & has always been NASCAR. Dover International Speedway (http://www.doverspeedway.com/track/history.php - broken link)

In Philly & South Jersey, I never heard anyone make fun of or deride someone for an interest in NASCAR. I was used to NASCAR being part of the sports on the news, so no big deal here, but I'd sure like to hear some baseball scores occasionally.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
I kind of laugh at Nascar. Having lived here all my life and been around it forever its hard to get through a day or two without seeing something of it everyday.

Had a cute experience years ago when I was in New York at a bowling tournament, someone seen my name and that I was from k-town and asked me something about DEI. I was serious when I said DEI, whats that? The look on their face when someone from the heart of Nascarland didn't know what that was, was priceless. Course I'd heard of it but didn't know it by that name, and oddly enough drive by it when going to Mooresville even these days.

I always though that pro wrestling was more of the redneck sport these days. I used to be a fan, but it hasn't been cool for the better part of 7-8 years now.

One aggrevating thing is how much my parents/the rest of my family is into it and I just shrug it off. I can stand to watch a few laps at the end of a race, much prefer drag races....but hey Certainly prefer it over boringball.

However in the grand scheme of things, Nascar is very important to our local economy and therefore I support (tolerate?) it as a whole.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Tripleh - reminds me of a story of my own...several years ago, my flight home to Baltimore from Birmingham, AL was cancelled due to a maintenance issue with the plane. There were maybe 40 or so of us on the flight, which was the last one of the night USAir was flying out of there. So we're all standing around in a group and the USAir rep is telling us they are going to try and find us hotel rooms for the night (which they were able to do in the end) but said they may have a problem finding rooms for all of us, "because of Talladega."

So I raised my hand and said, "What's a Talladega?" - which was a serious question at the time - I had no clue what he was talking about (this pre-dated that Will Ferrel movie so I didn't even have a reference point). Every other passenger just turned and looked at me like I was an alien.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Watching a race on T.V does not have the same excitement as being at a race or better yet, being in the Pits,talk about a wild,fun,action packed adventure,total blast

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I kind of laugh at Nascar. Having lived here all my life and been around it forever its hard to get through a day or two without seeing something of it everyday.

Had a cute experience years ago when I was in New York at a bowling tournament, someone seen my name and that I was from k-town and asked me something about DEI. I was serious when I said DEI, whats that? The look on their face when someone from the heart of Nascarland didn't know what that was, was priceless. Course I'd heard of it but didn't know it by that name, and oddly enough drive by it when going to Mooresville even these days.

I always though that pro wrestling was more of the redneck sport these days. I used to be a fan, but it hasn't been cool for the better part of 7-8 years now.

One aggrevating thing is how much my parents/the rest of my family is into it and I just shrug it off. I can stand to watch a few laps at the end of a race, much prefer drag races....but hey Certainly prefer it over boringball.

However in the grand scheme of things, Nascar is very important to our local economy and therefore I support (tolerate?) it as a whole.
You went to a bowling tournament, but laugh at Nascar? Really?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You went to a bowling tournament, but laugh at Nascar? Really?

Yes, really. I'm ready to compare how much $ I've made in bowling to what you've made in Nascar anytime too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte