U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,460,455 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have flown out of both cities, have you noticed whether airfares in and out of RDU are any cheaper than flying out of CLT, primarily because of the presence of Southwest Airlines in Raleigh?

The recent announcement that Southwest will begin servicing both Greenville/Spartanburg SC and Charleston SC early next year next should bring some relief from the high airfares that Charlotte & Asheville are notorious for.

I was wondering if any of you have found a dramatic difference in airfares between flying into Raleigh vs. flying into Charlotte?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,992 times
Yes. In most cases it is dramatically cheaper to catch a flight out of RDU instead of getting one out of the US Airways fortress that we have here in Charlotte. However it doesn't have that much to do with Southwest. Prices there dropped a lot after American shut down its hub there and as a result, there was a lot more competition for O&D traffic. Southwest moved in because it was a good business opportunity for them.

It's too bad it's close to a 3 hour drive to get there. Southwest coming to Charleston and GSU won't have any affect on Charlotte prices if SW doesn't fly to Charlotte.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,474,162 times
I fly every week out of CLT and fares can vary wildly....however, the one perk is that you can get a direct flight pretty much anywhere out of CLT, whereas flights in RDU are more likely to involve a connection. So when looking at fares, if its cheaper out of RDU, factor in the fact that you will likely have a connection, as well as the drive time to and from RDU.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 AM

128 posts, read 241,162 times
If you buy your ticket far enough in advance, usually 2-3 weeks, you should be able to get a comparable price at CLT versus RDU for most destinations. I fly out of CLT usually at least 2-3x a month and see this. I'm also not one to drive almost 3 hours to save $200 either. Isn't worth the time to me. As others mentioned, the fact that you can get a non-stop flight to almost anywhere in the country from CLT is quite convenient. Also, when buying tickets, I recommend doing so on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Fares are usually less expensive on those days.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,460,455 times
Since GSP is only 80-something miles from Charlotte, I do hope that Southwest's presence will result in lower airfares for those of you who choose to drive down there if the price is right.

I also don't expect airfares into CLT to drop because of SWA's entrance into GSP (but it would be nice for you folks); Cincinnati fell from first to second among the nation's most expensive airports (drum roll for Huntsville, Al. please!) in 2009.

Of course, Cincy happens to be surrounded by three Southwest cities within 100 miles (Indianapolis/Louisville/Columbus), but their airfares, much like Charlotte's, have remained at nosebleed-inducing levels for ages and ages, costing both airports and nearby merchants tons of revenues.

At least residents of GSP & Charleston can look forward to some dramatically lower airfares next year, thanks to the 'Southwest effect'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or