U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM

71 posts, read 93,826 times
Red face Spring Creek

Hi! Moving to Charlottesville this summer and one of the areas we are considering is Spring Creek. Would love to hear from someone with first hand knowledge as to the what you pay in HOA fees, what you get for the money and the feel and friendliness of those living there. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,355,044 times
I do not live in nor do I have first hand experience -- other than driving by the models before the gatehouse was erected. I live about 3 miles (by road) from the gatehouse.

Spring Creek seems to be an area where houses kept selling even in the bad housing market. The fairly new Walmart, Lowes, and others in the new strip shopping center have brought some amenities (in a sense). Having Walmart available is great since Louisa' other main grocery store is the Food Lion in the town of Louisa. I suspect that five years from now, there will be many more retailers in this area.

Spring Creek Golf Community | Homeowners Community (http://www.springcreekliving.com/activities/homeowners-community/ - broken link)

The website for Spring Creek (above) indicates that there is a Spring Creek Homeowners Yahoo forum.

The FAQs on the above website indicate that the monthly HOA fee is $160. But that includes various services including trash removal. I suspect that the FAQs that you can get to from the above webpage would answer many of your questions.

It appears that Spring Creek uses a professional management company for the HOA. I consider that a plus.

Overall, the area is friendly. Louisa County is very large. Those on the west end of the county tend to work in Charlottesville so I would suspect that many Spring Creek residents work there.

I also think that as far as local governments go, Louisa is much easier to work with than some of its neighboring counties.

Do you have children? Will the quality of the public schools be an issue?

I hope this has helped some. Maybe some Spring Creek residents will respond.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks TN! I'll have to check the Spring Creek yahoo forum for some more specifics. $160 HOW fees seems a bit steep to me. We currently pay a little over $70 now for a similar community (though we're not gated and they don't take care of our lawn....so that's a bonus.)

Schools aren't an issue for us 'cause we don't have any children...just a four legged one. Speaking of that, I suppose there aren't any dog parks in the general vicinity. From what I've seen on the internet, I like the look of the homes there and I like the amenities offered. Worried a tad about a commute into Charlottesville, but guess its fairly easy on I-64.

Are there any restaurants in those shops near the Walmart & Lowe's? (We haven't looked at the area in person yet, but will likely start home hunting in person in June...)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM

The commute to Charlottesville is not bad. As long as there are no accidents, it is pretty smooth sailing. If you will be working at NGIC (I hope I got the initials in the right order), there are ways to get up there other than rt. 29.

Rt. 29 and the congestion around it can be bad. Part of the commute issue concerns where you will be commuting to in Charlottesville.

I think the $160 gets you access to a fitness center and maybe tennis courts. If you go to the FAQs, you can verify this.

There is a dog park in in Palmyra County. I don't know if it is restricted to residents. I would suspect that, but I may be wrong.

The Zion Crossroads area is set to experience a lot of commercial growth. Right now -as far as food goes - there is a McDonalds, a Burger King, an IHOP and a Subway. There is a small independent restaurant called Crescent Moon (I think that's the right name). A placed called Made in Asia is set to open soon. Sheetz is suppose to be putting up a store too. I suspect some of the other chains and some independent restaurants will eventually locate here too.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM

Here is a link the describes the dog park in Fluvanna County.

Pleasant Grove (Dog Parks & Dog Runs) Palmyra, VA

Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM

Thank you TN. You've been a font of information....

Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 AM

You are welcome.
I hope you enjoy Charlottesville and the surrounding areas.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,602 times
Hi there, I am a new resident to Spring Creek -my husband and I moved here from the DC area. TN Lily is correct, the HOA fees are $160 a month, which is a bit steep, but a lot of that goes towards having 24/7 security. It also includes trash pick up and recycling, snow removal and access to the gym, tennis courts and the pool (not the golf course though). It's a nice area, it's very well kept and landscaped. It seems like the neighborhood is trying to get more community oriented - they started events like potlucks, Moms groups, and a neighborhood watch. It is also a very pet friendly neighborhood, plenty of sidewalks and grassy areas for dogs to go. The commute to Charlottesville isn't bad - generally it is an average of 25-30 min, but again it depends where you go. My only complaint about living here is it feels like a commuter neighborhood of sorts. And by that, I mean people here sort of do their own thing. Maybe that's just me but I moved from an area where I was close with my neighbors and had them over regularly and vice versa. There seems to be community involvement in the areas I mentioned earlier, but if you aren't a part of those it is kind of difficult to meet people. We are still adjusting to here and I don't mean to be negative - it really is a nice, safe neighborhood and now is definitely the time to buy. There are a good amount of empty houses in here but since the surrounding area is starting to rapidly develop, I don't think they will be empty for long. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info Smithsh2. We're currently living in Charleston, SC and the neighbors are pretty friendly. Perhaps if/when we move to Spring Creek we can get together and motivate the rest of the community to be friendly as well.

We're working on getting our house sold here and as soon as that happens, we're Moving on up to C'ville... I'll keep you posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville