U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM

176 posts, read 214,888 times
Default Nice small towns outside Charlottesville

Hi! My husband and I will be spending some time in the Charlottesville area with in the next few weeks deciding if it will be a good fit for our move.

We would most likely be looking at small towns outside of C'ville.

We are looking for something convenient with in driving distance (30 min), but still in a nice neighborhood that is safe and kid friendly.

And we are also looking for a town that has a less expensive housing situation (for rentals) than downtown does.

We are not extreme left or right, and would love something in between, but can survive either way. We are into hiking (but don't mind driving) local farmers, biking, nature/organic farming, health, family life...and are pretty open minded. We are in our 30's and have one young child so far. We are a mix of conservative family values and progressive mind thought, so really we embrace both. We are not going to get dressed up to go to the grocery store....we do not do drugs or smoke, but some could consider us hippies at heart.

Some of our family lives in Richmond and said that they could possibly see us relocating in that area. Actually their actual statement was that they could see us in a town that combined Asheville NC with Charlottesville VA and Greenville SC. I know that the outside of C'ville is fairly conservative. And Asheville is fairly liberal. Greenville seems in between, but we are not sure if we want to be that far South! Not yet, anyway

We would prefer to stay in VA, NC or SC and somewhere along the Mountain range areas. We are quiet non disruptive people, and may possibly even home school, and we also are also quite social and enjoy a sense of community.

Any more questions...feel free. My DH's work has to be with in 30-40 min of a pharma co, hospital or something that has a lab. That is where his degree and his experience. And yes, interviews and job lined up are a first. We won't just move anywhere with the hopes of finding work.

THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM

845 posts, read 1,001,832 times
I would check out Crozet, Scottsville, Lovingston, Ruckersville, Stanardsville. Or if you don't mind a bit farther of a commute, maybe Waynesboro or Staunton would work.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM

176 posts, read 214,888 times
Thanks!

Do you live in the area? Are they country side or do some of them have a downtown area...or pretty rural?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM

289 posts, read 292,826 times
I live in rural Nelson county 10 minutes from Lovingston.
None of the 'downtowns' here will have the village center feel of Connecticut towns, they are more rural in character and less dense in population. When I say small center I mean a few blocks of central buildings.
Crozet- small center that has changed from small commerce center to more suburb feel, Scottsville- small center with a rural river focus feel, Lovingston- small center rural in feel and nature, Ruckersville- Not sure, Stanardsville- not sure, Waynesboro- More of downtown but not too sure about its character, or Staunton- Nice downtown and interesting shops but a little far away from my stomping grounds to really know it

Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM

71 posts, read 93,718 times
Just as an FYI, Greenville, SC is as far right/conservative and ultra-ultra religious (Christian) as any town could ever possibly be. If those things work for you, its a lovely town. If those things wouldn't work...don't even consider it!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 48,535 times
Hello,
My husband & I are about your age and live in Waynesboro area. I can tell you some things about this area that may suit what your family is looking for...

It's approx. 30 min west of Charlottesville, 20 min south of Harrisonburg, and about 20 min east of Staunton. Being centrally located to the larger cities it's convenient to live here and commute to those areas for work, etc. but enjoy the benefits here like less traffic, lower taxes and home prices, and typically the county areas (each town has a city and county school zone) have better rated schools. There are several home schooling support groups Virginia Homeschool Groups - The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers and the local library and Parks & Recreation Dept. offers special programs as well.

There is a nice mix of old and new, the Downtown area has a Main Street that is being refurbished and they host alot of "hometown" type events like chili cook-offs, box car derby races, & holiday celebrations Waynesboro Downtown Development Inc. and thru-out the spring and summer there is a weekly farmer's market (also nice ones nearby in Staunton, Fishersville & Verona)
There is a large shopping district with the popular big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, & Walmart Supercenter and the newer Waynesboro Town Center has Target, Kohls, Bed Bath & Beyond,etc.

The main hospital is in the next town over, Fishersville, Augusta Health and Harrisonburg just opened a brand new hospital last year http://www.rmhonline.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx (broken link). Merck has a manufacturing plant south of here in Elkton Merck Manufacturing Division - Stonewall Plant I'm sure UVA Medical Center in Charlottesville has many labs also.

Since you enjoy the outdoors, you will LOVE all the activities available here! Blue Ridge Parkway Waynesboro, VA — Blue Ridge Parkway 75 (http://blueridgeparkway75.org/index.php?more-than-a-road/community/328 - broken link) has hiking/biking trails, there is Wintergreen and Massanutten Resorts with skiing, waterparks, and lakes. We especially like the Pic-Your-Own farms thru-out the Valley, particularly in Crozet which is right between Waynesboro & Charlottesville.

I'm not too familiar with rentals, we bought a house when we moved here, (prices are unbelievably low right now!) ...maybe someone else can advise you on that info.

Here's the town website Official Site of Waynesboro Virginia. Hope this helps, I know we got alot of advice on here before we moved, so I like to help out others who are considering making the Valley their future home...best of luck!

Last edited by NJOYTHEDASH; 05-13-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 AM

93 posts, read 159,240 times
Why anyone would want to move there is beside me!!! I am from west of Harrisonburg (now living out of state)and I can only describe it as a little better than HELL! Seriously, the job market is worth tears and there is not much to do. If you enjoy scenery, want an extremely quiet life, anywhere west of harrisonburg will impress you. Personally, I think the most beautiful area for scenery is cross keys (where cross keys vineyards is). I hope you are coming with a lot of savings or a masters degree, because even blue collar work is hard to land and health insurance is a fantasy for MANY hard working class people. good luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 48,535 times
Most of the advice you're going to receive on this forum (really all forums of this nature) are people's generalizations of the area based on their personal experiences...please, take with a grain of salt. That's why I like to include links on my posts so that people can continue the process of researching an area based on FACTS.
Quote:
We won't just move anywhere with the hopes of finding work.
Obviously, you've already got your priorities in order. I've found when something is meant to be, things have a way of falling into place.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM

845 posts, read 1,001,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Why anyone would want to move there is beside me!!! I am from west of Harrisonburg (now living out of state)and I can only describe it as a little better than HELL! Seriously, the job market is worth tears and there is not much to do. If you enjoy scenery, want an extremely quiet life, anywhere west of harrisonburg will impress you. Personally, I think the most beautiful area for scenery is cross keys (where cross keys vineyards is). I hope you are coming with a lot of savings or a masters degree, because even blue collar work is hard to land and health insurance is a fantasy for MANY hard working class people. good luck.
I guess you're not a fan of Cville? I'm originally from Staunton and now live in Cville and while I miss the Valley, I do really like Charlottesville. Albemarle is one of the most beautiful areas of the state in my opinion and has dozens of wineries. I don't mind Hburg, but it's never been my cup of tea. And all of those poultry farms in the county, stink!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
West of Harrisonburg bears no resemblance to Charlottesville. The Blue Ridge might as well be the Himalayas as far as separating the very different social, political, and cultural ambiences that exist on either side of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville