U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

Im going to college at UNO in nebraska for my bach. in biology and pre-med (full ride ). And my boyfriend is going there too for a double major in marketing and business management. I want to be a family doctor and he wants to start a corporate media business. We want to move somewhere either after our first four years or once im done with all eight years of college and residency.
We are looking for a warm/mild climate with lots to do (parks, lakes, ocean if possible), good schools, affordable housing, & a decent sized population (80k+ and/or by a big city).
We are currently looking at Virginia and the Carolinas. Could you please tell me the pros and cons of these areas? I know jobs are hard to find, but even for a doctor and a video producer? We want a decent sized house for our future kids in a stable area. We are looking at Charlottesville, Va or Charlotte, NC.
Feedback or other ideas would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM

845 posts, read 1,052,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely in Love View Post
Im going to college at UNO in nebraska for my bach. in biology and pre-med (full ride ). And my boyfriend is going there too for a double major in marketing and business management. I want to be a family doctor and he wants to start a corporate media business. We want to move somewhere either after our first four years or once im done with all eight years of college and residency.
We are looking for a warm/mild climate with lots to do (parks, lakes, ocean if possible), good schools, affordable housing, & a decent sized population (80k+ and/or by a big city).
We are currently looking at Virginia and the Carolinas. Could you please tell me the pros and cons of these areas? I know jobs are hard to find, but even for a doctor and a video producer? We want a decent sized house for our future kids in a stable area. We are looking at Charlottesville, Va or Charlotte, NC.
Both VA and NC are similar on some levels. I would say for a doctor, bot areas would be easy to find employment. Especially in the Raleigh/Durham area. In Cville, you have UVA's hospital and a brand new almost ready to open Martha Jefferson hospital. As far as video production, idk. A larger metro would be easier to find work. Cville has all the local TV networks, but they are small scale.

There have been some recent threads about Cville neighborhoods and projects that have some very valuable information. As far as size goes, Cville is not a big city. It's not a small town either. The city has 43,000 residents, but the area has 200,000. A lot of that lives just beyond Cville's tiny city limit boundaries in Albemarle county, and neighboring counties.

The comparison between Charlottesville and Charlotte ends at the name. They are completely different. Charlotte has become a big sprawling city complete with towering skyscrapers and traffic. I'm not sure about their job situation. They were hit hard with the recession with Charlotte being a banking center.

Charlottesville, while not immune to the recession by no means I think fared well considering. UVA is the largest employer and is fairly stable. Cville is closer to DC too if that matters.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 945,132 times
I lived in Charlottesville for five years, and in Chapel Hill NC for five years. As you go south into NC, there's a climate gradient, and Charlottesville is 30 miles from the crest of the Blue Ridge. Winters are typically in the 20s-30s F with lots of ice storms, and a moderate amount of snow. The town's hilly and when there's ice, driving can be a problem. Charlotte, you won't get as much snow and ice.

Charlotte's like the Research Triangle area ... lots of jobs, moderately large city atmosphere. Charlottesville is a fairly small college town in the middle of pretty much nowhere. If you like horse farms and ravishingly beautiful scenery, Charlottesville's your place. I felt blessed to be able to live there for five years.

There's a medical school at UVA, I suspect you'd find employment in both areas ... but I suspect there'll be more competition in Charlottesville from the doctors who graduate and stay in the area. Just a guess. I suspect your boyfriend would find it much much easier to find a job in Charlotte.

I'd suggest you should seriously look at the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, too, by the way.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,184 times
I lived in the Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham area while attending graduate school at Duke Unv., & am also in the health field. I currently live in Charlottesville, VA, & love it! I enjoyed living in Chapel Hill, but I feel that there is more history & beautiful mountainous terrain in Charlottesville, VA. It is a small city with a big city feel. UVA & MJH are two fantastic health systems in Cville. I don't believe that you'd have a problem finding a job in NC or Cville, VA area's. The ocean is a little farther away in NC; in Cville, VA beach is a couple of hrs away, & there are many fantastic parks & lakes/reservoir! Best to you!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewell View Post
but I feel that there is more history & beautiful mountainous terrain in Charlottesville, VA. It is a small city with a big city feel.
When I was a grad student at UVA, a fellow student from the UK and I were walking around and he commented, "You know, I've seen a lot of the world in my travels over the years, but Charlottesville is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been."

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM

39 posts, read 30,381 times
Doctor AND video producer narrows your options, but either Asheville of (better) Wilmington has video opportunities. Wilmington is where the studios are located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely in Love View Post

Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Doctor AND video producer narrows your options, but either Asheville of (better) Wilmington has video opportunities. Wilmington is where the studios are located.
I believe there are a number of companies doing media work in the Triangle area as well as in Charlotte (either area should afford plenty of medical opportunities); see e.g.,

Video Production : Raleigh, North Carolina : Myriad Media
Video production company in Charlotte NC | Episode XI Studios

Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Thank you all so much for your input! I hope to be able to visit Virginia and North Carolina next summer! The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area looks very good! It seems to be the best of both worlds! Thank you all again

Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,847 times
I just found this thread, but you're probably still a couple of years away from relocating, so I can still reply. I currently live in Charlottesville, and I've lived in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC. I can say that you will be able to find a job anywhere; your husband will have a harder time in Charlottesville, VA for corporate media.
The Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point (Triad) area of North Carolina has lots of opportunity in apparel, home furnishings, medicine, education, technology to a lesser extent than the Triangle, and media. Wake Forest University-Baptist Hospital-Bowman Gray school of medicine are in W-S. Greensboro has UNC-G and Guilford College, and Elon University are a few miles away in Burlington area. There are a few small lakes, and the cities are only about an hour or two from the mountains, and about 3&1/2 hours to the beaches of NC.
The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is full of research and technology companies, great universities, and medicine. Duke University, UNC-Chapel Hill (the one everyone things of as Carolina) and NC State (The Wolfpack) all have research facilities there and hospitals. There are a couple of lakes nearby, the cities are further from the mountains, and they slightly warmer than the Triad (less snow and ice), and closer to the beach...about 2 hours.
I don't know if you've considered Wilmington, North Carolina, but we refer to it as Wilmy-wood because many television shows and some films are produced there and would be a good location for a video producer. It is on the intra-coastal waterway, just across the bridge from a fantastic beach named Wrightsville, and just a short drive to all other fabulous NC beaches. It will have the mildest climate of all the cities you've listed, however it will be smaller than all of them except it's larger year-round than Charlottesville (Charlottesville 'expands' when the students are in town.)
Charlotte's main industry is banking, and the city has improved in a lot of ways (more upscale, better neighborhoods) but I really find it kind of like a mini-Atlanta: lots of sprawl, and less of a city than a series of large neighborhoods connected by highways. It's about 2 hours to either the beach or the mountains from Charlotte. And I find the highways super annoying because the road signs are small and illegible. Call me picky. We also refer to UNC-Charlotte as UNC-Concrete. Yes I was born and raised in NC :-) Charlotte has a mild climate but I find it to be less culturally inclusive than Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem and Greensboro have high devotion to the arts as cities, and they've both made a focus on sustainability and walkability in recent years. Wilmington, as Hollywood East, is small, but funky and fun. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is a great place for solid middle class living with zero snobbery and a chance to settle down and live the American dream.
Charlottesville, VA is just about 20 minutes from the mountains, and about 3&1/2 hours from the beaches. There will be more snow and ice in Charlottesville but nothing like what you deal with now. One year we had none; one year (the Snowpocalypse of 2009-10) we had about 7 feet total that year! Usually we have about two small snows and two icing incidents. It is very much a small city that sees itself with a combination of cultural superiority and crunchy granola-ness unrivaled by any of the more middle class cities in NC. Virginia as a state, however, I find to be just as back-woods and rednecky as "North Cackalacky" as NC is called by Virginians, unless you're in C-ville or Northern Virginia, or certain parts of Richmond. Charlottesville has a ton of wealth, not insignificant poverty and racial tension, and a HIGH level of competition for jobs, and housing is expensive. We have a Whole Foods, a Trader Joes, a Foods of All Nations, and a Wild Oats or something like it, all within a five mile radius of each other. There is Monticello, Montpelier, Ashlawn-Highlands, which are the homes of Jefferson, Madison, and Monroe, respectively. We have celebrities who live here full time or part time under the radar, like John Grisham, Sissy Spacek, The Rock, Dave Matthews & the band, other authors, etc, and you will spot them from time to time. People love it here, but there is less opportunity for most people because folks graduate from UVA and stick around until they get jobs, and there aren't a lot of jobs. It's a short 2-hour train ride on a large choice of nice trains to DC. I love the train, and we have several that go North, one that goes West, and one or two that go South. Charlottesville has an extremely annoying system of local government in which things are talked about ad nauseum, appear to change, but never do, and the whole darn town is named after rugby or a Jefferson. I don't plan on staying here forever.
Your best airports for a high volume of flight options will be in this order: Charlotte, Raleigh (Triangle), Greensboro (Triad), Charlottesville, Wilmington. However, if you live in Wilmington, you'll already be at the beach so that eliminates the need to leave town as often. :-)
Another couple of places to strongly consider are Asheville, NC, which is IN the mountains and is very crunch granola, like a bigger Charlottesville without the sense of entitlement, and Richmond, VA, which is east of Charlottesville, the state Capitol, and full of opportunity.
Have fun!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM

55 posts, read 157,911 times
There will be much more opportunities in NC. Cville has (for the most part) only 2 employers in the health care industry. They both pay very low wages in proportion to the high cost of living. Check out the stats page. Income is 10% lower than state average and cost of living 10% above state average. They have many problems of simple infrastructure for small town. Basically because they haven't dealt with anything in a logical way. A parking garage does not qualify a place as a "city". You find many other frustrating examples. Go to NC! More people, opportunities and income!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville