Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM

23 posts, read 82,557 times

Advertisements

there are no places to go junking in C'ville. I am new to Charlottesville and, while I love and appreciate all this wonderful community has to offer, I've been really disappointed with the thrift shop/ consignment store offerings. I've tried the SPCA (prices are high, same uninteresting mdse every time I go in), Salvation Army (actually the best so far for furniture pieces to redo, but holy cow what a dirty store. Good buys on furniture, some mid century) Goodwill (haven't found a thing), Cottage Consignments (love this little store), and Circa (felt like I was bothering the staff every time I had to ask for a price. Just made my third and final visit ).

I am not looking for anything in particular- just enjoy the hunt. I buy furniture, art, vintage lamps, leather bound books, old silver, anything that looks fun.

Am I missing any stores? I'm willing to travel outside of C'ville, but not as far as Richmond (although they have fabulous thrift stores). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

199 posts, read 546,626 times
Don't bother coming over to Staunton/Waynesboro. There's nothing here. I know because I've been out every week looking in the thrift stores, Salvation Army, Restore, etc. I've been trying to find things to sell on ebay, but either there's no decent stock or it's overpriced.

Since April I've been looking for a mid-century sofa for myself. Nothing. I was about to head over to Circa in the next few weeks to check prices. Sorry to hear the staff is not friendly. Prices would probably be to high for me anyway.

I've thought of going down to Scottsville and look around since I want to see the place anyway.

If I were you, I'd make the trip over to Richmond. In fact, that's just what I plan to do. If I can find a mid-century sofa that I love for a decent price, then it would be worth renting a U-Haul van for the day and going over to pick it up.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
I don't know about furniture, but in Staunton's downtown wharf, there is the Jolly Roger Haggle Shop. It's 2 or 3 floors of junk! It might be worth a check. In Verona, adjacent to Staunton at the intersection of i81 and Rt 612 is the Factory Antique Mall. And the next exit north in Weyers Cave is Rocky's Antique Mall halfway between Harrisonburg and Staunton. Staunton is 30-35 minutes west on i64 in case you're not familiar with the area.

And in the Cville area, up Rt. 29 somewhere before Ruckersville on the right is a place called Junktiques. I have no idea what they have, but again, might be worth a try. It's a mustard yellow house with the name painted on the side. I don't know if you've been or not, but over on Pantops, there's a newish consignment shop in Pantops shopping center along US 250 in the old Ponderosa Steak House building. Hope this helps!

And hi to Peppermint Chapstick! How are things going? I hope you're still liking Staunton. Despite your tires being slashed.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 AM

23 posts, read 82,557 times
Ooh, the Jolly Roger shop sounds fun! Will have to make the trip to Staunton soon.

I've been to the new place in Pantops and thought they had a good variety. Their store is huge, people who work there are super helpful and not at all condescending (like another store in town). Would be a good resource for decorators. Probably too traditional for students. They carry down filled furniture, art, mirrors, china, rugs, beautiful blue canton style lamps, consigned custom window treatments. But not thrift shop- kind of things. Great store.

I will visit Junktiques today, if they are open!

As for mid-century, you might try the Habitat Store, which is just down from Circa. Go down in the basement. They don't have a lot of furniture, and you have to check often as they good stuff goes quickly, but they can get in some great pieces. They've had some neat danish modern buffets, also a couple of campaign style chests and buffets. They also have couches and chairs. Great resource for lighting, appliances, etc. Love that store.

I forgot to mention the thrift shop on Rio next to the Episcopal Church. Also a little disappointing.

I've never been organized enough to be a successful garage-saler, but I'm thinking that might be my only hope. Any idea what neighborhoods would be good?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM

199 posts, read 546,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I don't know about furniture, but in Staunton's downtown wharf, there is the Jolly Roger Haggle Shop. It's 2 or 3 floors of junk! It might be worth a check. In Verona, adjacent to Staunton at the intersection of i81 and Rt 612 is the Factory Antique Mall. And the next exit north in Weyers Cave is Rocky's Antique Mall halfway between Harrisonburg and Staunton. Staunton is 30-35 minutes west on i64 in case you're not familiar with the area.

And in the Cville area, up Rt. 29 somewhere before Ruckersville on the right is a place called Junktiques. I have no idea what they have, but again, might be worth a try. It's a mustard yellow house with the name painted on the side. I don't know if you've been or not, but over on Pantops, there's a newish consignment shop in Pantops shopping center along US 250 in the old Ponderosa Steak House building. Hope this helps!

And hi to Peppermint Chapstick! How are things going? I hope you're still liking Staunton. Despite your tires being slashed.
Hi ShadowBat, I'm doing okay, thanks for asking! Hope you are still happy in C'ville.

I did find a nice 1952 Lane cedar chest at the Verona Factory Antique Mall for a reasonable price, but otherwise, I was appalled at the high prices there. They also didn't have hardly any mid-century pieces, so I doubt I'll go back. Thanks for the other suggestions, though. Will definitely check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville