Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklove View Post
Thanks for the reply.We would be interested more in the convience of food shopping etc. and reasonable apartment rentals.800-950.00 rangeAppreciate
a reply.Thanks

Look in the Hollymead subdivision. There's a nice apartment complex in there (don't remember the name) that falls under your price range and it's a nice neighborhood and convenient to all C'Ville has to offer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 AM

17 posts, read 63,973 times
I'm also interested in Charlottesville. I am disabled and don't drive so have to rely on public transportation. I know C'Ville has a bus system. Does anyone on this forum use the bus system there regularly? If so, how do you find it? From what little I can tell from routes etc on their website, buses go to and from many shopping areas as well as UVa, but how is the coverage in the residential areas? Some folks have commented on living in communities outside of C'Ville and commuting in. Do buses travel from other towns to C'Ville on a daily basis including weekends?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
My husband and I are planning to visit Charlottesville in the next few months. We have done quite a bit of research and really like what we have seen so we believe it is time for a visit.

I have a few questions myself. We are from Ohio and teacher's salaries here are pretty crappy...what is the average salary of a teacher in the C'ville area? Over 30K? (my husband teaches and I will be finished in less than a year, but am considering transferring to do my student-teaching in virginia...I'm actually planning on calling a college tomorrow) But, any salary info would be very helpful.

We are a young couple and don't have any kids...yet, but we aren't going to put that off too long. So we want some activities young couples can do and yet want a safe place to raise a family. I have seen on here the positives and all the activities for children so I am pleased with that. If there is anything else, I'd be interested to hear it.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
Default Please don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
Looks cheap to me. I looked on realtor.com and the homes are cheap. I live in Orange County, CA and where I live there are no detached homes under $575k and looks Charlottesville has a lot around $200k. It is a reason I was looking to move there. I am a teacher and I can't even afford an apartment (I live in a studio). Charlottesville is looking pretty attractive.
Yes, well, the price of housing may look attractive to you and a lot of other transplanted Californians and Northeast natives. The trouble is, people from those areas keep coming here thinking it's so cheap (which it is by comparison) and spend way too much on housing--which drives prices up all over the area and creates a bubble where housing costs a fortune and there are few jobs that pay well enough for people with no trust funds or equity windfalls to purchase a house. The truth is, Charlottesville is hugely expensive for a town this size, and from that standpoint it's getting worse. That may be fine (for you) if you can live anywhere--and many here are in a similar situation--but I feel sorry for the people who grew up here but can't afford to stay without moving down the economic scale.

Another thought: whatever people might say for the area being conservative, the taxes of the place are relatively high (though perhaps cheaper than where you are). People from uber-liberal places move in to escape the high prices and taxes, but then they vote for the very same types of liberal politicians they voted for wherever they came from. And guess what? The taxes go up. Crazier yet, they're often surprised.

Don't get me wrong. It's a wonderful place, and I think you would probably like it. Just please don't contribute to the housing price inflation or vote in people who want to give Charlottesville the same economic policies as the place they just left.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 18,985 times
I currently live in Marquette, MI and we're relocating this month. We're not having much luck finding a rental home close to town or in town. Best of luck.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM

73 posts, read 117,295 times
Charlottesville is amzing, beautiful. Ive lived in VA for all of my 40 years, Richmond the last 15...but never in Cville. However, I love going up there to visit for UVA sporting events, skiing, breweries, or a concert on the downtown mall. It's one of the better and more beauitful towns in the country. kind of reminds me of northern california a bit, the wine country. a stretch perhaps, but it really is beautiful, and cosmopolitan for a smaller town. Wouldn't recommend Roanoke at all, pretty depressing down there imo. Richmond is fanatstic as well.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM

814 posts, read 910,931 times
Charlottesville is snobby and the people cannot drive to save their lives, I say this being originally from New York and as an Army veteran Ive lived out west, further south, and in Germany, and Charlottesville scares me behind the wheel.

However the town itself is very pretty, the sporting events, concerts at JPJ, the apple orchard at Carter Mountain, Barracks Road shopping, they opened this newer shopping center across from K-Mart but Barracks Road I think is better, except for the movie theater and Williams Sonoma.

I work and play in C'ville but reside in Orange, I prefer small town country living over hectic Charlottesville, also like the farms and old antique and thrift shops, Barboursville Vineyard is real pretty in the fall as well.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:01 PM

238 posts, read 338,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlydubs View Post
Charlottesville is amzing, beautiful. Ive lived in VA for all of my 40 years, Richmond the last 15...but never in Cville. However, I love going up there to visit for UVA sporting events, skiing, breweries, or a concert on the downtown mall. It's one of the better and more beauitful towns in the country. kind of reminds me of northern california a bit, the wine country. a stretch perhaps, but it really is beautiful, and cosmopolitan for a smaller town. Wouldn't recommend Roanoke at all, pretty depressing down there imo. Richmond is fanatstic as well.
If you are in the hip hop culture, Richmond is fantastic!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:28 AM

97 posts, read 188,803 times
Agree Curly Dubs....any time I've visited Charlottesville in the past 10 years, it's really been a great experience. It's a very sophisticated area. They pull bigger musical acts than Richmond, and the city has some excellent restaurants.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
The ugly???? My son lives there! (couldn't resist, OK I lied he's actually in Barboursville right over the line).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville