Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,383 times

Advertisements

If I may chime in on this conversation, it just seems to me that there is an alternative energy frenzy going on all over the U.S. right now, and everyone is looking for the Next Big Thing that holds the promi$e of Big Oil. Whether it be shale and natural gas, sites for off-shore wind farms, dams for hydro-electric power, corn and switchgrass grown for ethanol, or mining for uranium for nulcear plants, people want in on the ground floor in order to make tons of money. And a lot of that money is not from commercial sales on the open market, but from government subsidies.

I'm from an area of upstate NY where the debate over hydro-fracking is raging (The Marcellus Shale), and might soon be decided by the EPA. If it's allowed to happen, it will destroy the region's considerable natural beauty and the allure it holds for millions of residents and visitors, not to mention the potential harm to agri-business in farming, dairy and viticulture (wine grapes/production). The pristine, deep water lakes that exist there might be permanently affected by tainted run-off, not to mention contaminated ground water. Even if it isn't being done in your town, or near your property, no one lives in a bubble and everyone in the region would feel is affects. If you have seen what parts of WVA or PA look like that have already been subjected to this practice, then you will have seen a raped and ugly landscape, scarred by drill pads, slant drilling, heavy trucks and equipment. And don't forget about the constant noise!

On the other hand...I live in California, a state which has been held hostage by eco-extremists for a long time. We are unable to tap our vast resources, namely oil, because of off-shore drilling restrictions. We have solar farms but they are heavily subsidized by the govenrment, so who knows how viable or profitable they really are? California has the strictest and most stringent air quality laws and regulations in the country, far surpassing anything the EPA requires. Emisssion standards on cars and trucks have driven automakers to the brink because of the added costs to manufacture the vehicles for the California market, a cost which is passed on to customers. And last, but not least, is our designer gasoline, which requires that oil companies put additives in the gas to make it cleaner and greener, which translates into increased gas prices, making California one of the most expensive states for gasoline. Regulations and high taxes have driven many companies out of the state, and our unemployment rate is higher than the national average.

So which environmental and economic philosophy will promote prosperity, jobs, growth,vibrant communities and happy, healthy citizens? A, B, or none of the above???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
Southside Virginia needs jobs so don't be so quick to dismiss the need to explore using the region's natural resources. Also don't be so naive about where your power comes from. 40% of our power in Virginia comes from nuclear power - which is powered by uranium. Most of our country's uranium comes from outside the U.S. Why should we create jobs for uranium miners in foreign countries? Also, Lynchburg VA is much closer to C'ville than Chatham VA and its home to Babcock & Wilcox's facility that makes high grade uranium rods for the military - which is much more radioactive than dirt with low grade amounts of uranium in Pittsylvania County.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM

368 posts, read 995,700 times
Sure, Southside Virginia needs jobs--good jobs. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of punching in at the uranium mine every morning just doesn't inspire a case of the warm and fuzzies. And besides, even the Pittsylvania County Supervisor--where, presumably, most of the jobs would center, has expressed concern about lifting the ban:

“I represent 10,000 citizens in the Staunton River District,” said Pittsylvania County Supervisor Marshall Ecker. “We are highly concerned about the potential for uranium mining and milling if the moratorium is lifted. We live near ‘ground zero’ and don’t want legislators to make this out to be a Pittsylvania County issue only.”

I don't think this is an issue of people being naive about where their power comes from. I think this is very much an issue of people not wanting their immediate environment sullied for short-term gain. There is nothing clean about clean energy and, from what I've read, there hasn't been one report that suggests uranium mining in Virginia can be done safely. The future economic development of Virginia doesn't lie in destroying its natural assets. Any forward thinking legislator should be concentrating on ways to capitalize on Virginia's assets long-term--not plundering them for short-term advantage.

"Public concern centers on the tons of radioactive waste that would result from a mine and the accompanying mill, where ore would be processed to yield yellowcake for export. All waste would be stored on site in perpetuity. “The more people learn about uranium mining and milling, the more supportive they become of Virginia’s longstanding ban,” said Katie Preston of Virginia Interfaith Power and Light. “As I talk to congregations and community leaders, they repeatedly tell me that gambling with our drinking water is both irresponsible and immoral.”

The risk uranium mine waste poses to private wells and public drinking water sources, including the Roanoke River and Lake Gaston, was acknowledged by a National Academy of Sciences study released last year. The NAS called “questionable,” the proposition that mine waste can be kept from contaminating ground and surface water in Virginia’s wet, storm-prone climate.

An engineering study commissioned by the City of Virginia Beach found that a catastrophic spill at the Coles Hill site would contaminate drinking water downstream as far as Hampton Roads. Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Suffolk have since voiced firm support for Virginia’s ban."

16,000 sign petition to keep uranium ban | South Boston Virginia News | TheNewsRecord.com

Last edited by artistatheart; 11-28-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Just as a follow-up to the question of whether lifting the ban would lead to job creation...

Apparently, Virginia Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling--Gov. Bob McDonnell's job creation chief, has joined the Southside Virginia delegation to the General Assembly and the Danville/Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce in coming out against lifting the ban:

"First, I am concerned that removing this ban could have a chilling impact on our efforts to recruit new business, industry and jobs to southern Virginia, and it could also have a harmful impact on numerous existing businesses in the region," Bolling said in prepared remarks. Mining, he said, could undermine efforts to revitalize a Southside economy that has suffered amid the decline of tobacco, furniture manufacturing and textiles."

Lt. Gov. Bolling says he opposes uranium mining | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
Just as a follow-up to the question of whether lifting the ban would lead to job creation...

Apparently, Virginia Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling--Gov. Bob McDonnell's job creation chief, has joined the Southside Virginia delegation to the General Assembly and the Danville/Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce in coming out against lifting the ban:

"First, I am concerned that removing this ban could have a chilling impact on our efforts to recruit new business, industry and jobs to southern Virginia, and it could also have a harmful impact on numerous existing businesses in the region," Bolling said in prepared remarks. Mining, he said, could undermine efforts to revitalize a Southside economy that has suffered amid the decline of tobacco, furniture manufacturing and textiles."

Lt. Gov. Bolling says he opposes uranium mining | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Never issues an opinion UNTIL giving up his bid to run for Governor. Also never thought of Bolling as a "job creation chief."

Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Never issues an opinion UNTIL giving up his bid to run for Governor...
LOL! Isn't that so often the truth with politicians. I never actually thought much of Bolling until he stopped politicking and started speaking his mind. Just like when Bob Dole (I'm dating myself here) decided he wasn't going to run for president anymore and started cracking all those jokes? I was, like, "Now this guy I might have actually voted for..."

It's a shame, really...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Is C'Ville close to Brightwood, VA? To have the capacity to adapt is devine but enviro. issues must be thought out. On a different topic, may I ask: coming from CA (icky place),what adaptations must one make. Humidity is one issue. Any others? Just wondering. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

419 posts, read 902,041 times
What's close?
Brightwood is about 30 miles north of Cville proper, 20 north of the 'metro' area, and for us rural folks in Albemarle 10 to 15 miles north.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
My extended and ancestral family has lived downstream from the proposed uranium mining site for over 200 years, and every one of its present members is strongly opposed to mining. The risks outweigh the advantages so heavily and so obviously that this should be a non-issue.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,163 times
I honestly laughed a good amount at various posts in this thread. First of all...why does this thread even exist? It is simply a fear-mongering for an issue that doesn't REMOTELY have relevance to this area. Second off all, almost every single post blatantly demonstrates utter lack of knowledge on the topic. Anecdotal "evidence" is abundant in place of any well thought out, or cited arguments. Thank you for the entertainment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville