U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 AM

28 posts, read 47,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saccaromyces_c View Post
I honestly laughed a good amount at various posts in this thread. First of all...why does this thread even exist? It is simply a fear-mongering for an issue that doesn't REMOTELY have relevance to this area. Second off all, almost every single post blatantly demonstrates utter lack of knowledge on the topic. Anecdotal "evidence" is abundant in place of any well thought out, or cited arguments. Thank you for the entertainment!

Hey, glad to hear you're finding my thread so amusing. Welcome to the party.

I started this thread as a way to gather information about an issue I take seriously before moving to an area I knew little about. Seems to me, folks have tried to answer the question as best they could, and I'm grateful to every single one of them for their input.

Your post implies that you have some insights into the subject that the rest of us aren't privy to. I'm sure we'd all be interested to read "any well thought out, or cited arguments" you wish to bring to the table.

Looking forward to seeing some of your other posts, and I thank you (and everyone else) for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Last edited by GreenFootprint; 02-26-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFootprint View Post

I started this thread as a way to gather information about an issue I take seriously before moving to an area I knew little about. Seems to me, folks have tried to answer the question as best they could, and I'm grateful to every single one of them for their input.

Your post implies that you have some insights into the subject that the rest of us aren't privy to. I'm sure we'd all be interested to read "any well thought out, or cited arguments" you wish to bring to the table.

Looking forward to seeing some of your other posts, and I thank you (and everyone else) for taking the time to reply to my thread.
Thank you for the kind, thoughtful response after my rather abrasive entrance, which I apologize for my tone. However I do stand by the sentiments in my post (which I hope this isn't interpreted as a back-handed apology).

I am by no means an expert, but did study nuclear engineering in college which consisted of a semester long research project/paper on the Cole Hill site. I would be happy to respond in a thorough manner-when time allows...which is the reason I didn't respond in detail initially. I don't want to contribute to any misrepresentation of the issues, but at the same time I fail to see how my post was beneficial to the conversation. For that I apologize!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM

9,492 posts, read 7,583,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saccaromyces_c View Post
Thank you for the kind, thoughtful response after my rather abrasive entrance, which I apologize for my tone. However I do stand by the sentiments in my post (which I hope this isn't interpreted as a back-handed apology).

I am by no means an expert, but did study nuclear engineering in college which consisted of a semester long research project/paper on the Cole Hill site. I would be happy to respond in a thorough manner-when time allows...which is the reason I didn't respond in detail initially. I don't want to contribute to any misrepresentation of the issues, but at the same time I fail to see how my post was beneficial to the conversation. For that I apologize!
Three months have passed since you wrote the above message- have you found time to respond in a "thorough manner" yet? I would be interested in your research about the Coles Hill site, and expect others also would share my interest.

Thank you.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 2,928,765 times
Can someone update me if the uranium moratorium was ever lifted and where it stands now?
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM

368 posts, read 796,146 times
Quote:
RICHMOND - A company is suspending its campaign to mine one of the world's largest known deposits of uranium ore in Virginia, concluding that Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe's opposition presents a significant challenge over the next four years.

Virginia Uranium Inc. said it will not back the introduction of uranium mining legislation in the 2014 session of the General Assembly, which would be a first step to tap a 119-million-pound deposit of uranium in Pittsylvania County known as Coles Hill...

...Patrick Wales, project manager for Virginia Uranium, issued a statement to The Associated Press on Saturday: "We are in this for the long haul and are committed to developing the Coles Hill project. We will continue evaluating all options to move the project forward."
Virginia Uranium suspends mining efforts in Pittsylvania County - NewsAdvance.com : News

Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM

113 posts, read 122,752 times

This was good news.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM

30 posts, read 33,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHenry View Post
I understand you not wanting to be in Virginia becuz of the uranium mining.We have a typical narrow minded conservative government that sees what this kind of mining mite do for the economy.The economy is more important to the ritewing ,and maybe some left, then the hazards of fooling with uranium.Theres nothing safe about it or nuclear power.If the uranium is mined it will be trucked on the highways.If uranium, nuclear power and coal is the best we can do Id soon go back to using candles and manualy hauling buckets of water which Im prity close to doing now.I understand the need for electricity in certain areas,hospital,etc.But theres beter ways and the majority is to blind,deaf, lazy and fat to want to work harder for safe and clean energy. Good luck.
They are really shooting themselves in the foot with that. Don't they realize that Virginia's natural beauty is the big draw for people thinking of relocating? Once it is tainted by mining they will lose big $$$$ as people stay away in droves.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM

30 posts, read 33,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFootprint View Post

Thank you for starting this thread. The issue you raised is not funny. You care about your health and worry about your water source. Why is that amusing to some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville