U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM

32 posts, read 58,052 times

Advertisements

GustavoFring:

"Honestly, not quite sure how anyone could choose Richmond (event a sterile area like Short Pump) over Charlottesville, especially if you have children..

Could you please explain further why you post this? I am being sincere and not trying to offend anyone. We are going back and forth between the 2 areas, but Richmond seems to have some advantages (for us anyway over Charlottesville). Whereas Charlottesville seems to be the safer choice crime-wise, I realize that crime happens everywhere so we can't move based on this alone. Perhaps, you could address these concerns if you don't mind:

1. School Systems - From what I have researched, Henrico county public schools are ranked highly both in the state and the Nation. I did see that Albemarle County has some well ranked schools, but in general, most threads have warned against Charlottesville proper's public schools.

2. Safety - while Charlottesville seems very safe, it appears that there is less of a delineation between the shady parts of town in Charlottesville from the very nice streets/areas. Whereas, with Richmond, the Far West End seems mostly very safe with less of a socioeconomic mix.

3. Cost of housing appears to be higher in Charlottesville.

4. While I think it is very beautiful, my main concern is that the City is very much dependent on UVA for the economy. Richmond seems to have a wider economic base to draw from with various industries. I also fear that it would feel like a "College Town" when we are no where near that part of our life anymore. We also did not go to UVA, but have the "MCV connection" which could make a difference in certain crowds/with us using these resources for Job hunting.

5. Charlottesville has a ton of activities to offer, but seemingly mostly outdoors, esp. for children. While this is great for a majority of the year, it seems that Richmond has the upper hand with more cultural options (various Museums, Botanical Gardens, theaters, children's "fun" centers, YMCAs, etc).

I may be terribly off here. I really am basing my knowledge of Charolottesville on visiting it for UVA games and stopping there shortly. Whereas we lived in Richmond for over 4 years. Thanks again for your input (or anyone elses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM

297 posts, read 317,015 times
1. School Systems - From what I have researched, Henrico county public schools are ranked highly both in the state and the Nation. I did see that Albemarle County has some well ranked schools, but in general, most threads have warned against Charlottesville proper's public schools.

Henrico is exceptional and the Albemarle county schools are very good. C-ville schools not so much. I would assume you would not live in C-ville proper but in Albemarle somewhere specifically to insure good schools.

2. Safety - while Charlottesville seems very safe, it appears that there is less of a delineation between the shady parts of town in Charlottesville from the very nice streets/areas. Whereas, with Richmond, the Far West End seems mostly very safe with less of a socioeconomic mix.

C-ville may have shady areas but they pale in comparison to the shady areas of Richmond. Overall Richmond has significantly more crime than C-ville and that affects the region as well as the shady areas.

3. Cost of housing appears to be higher in Charlottesville.

Generally true but there are deals in both places now and I think you would be within 10% for like properties.

4. While I think it is very beautiful, my main concern is that the City is very much dependent on UVA for the economy. Richmond seems to have a wider economic base to draw from with various industries. I also fear that it would feel like a "College Town" when we are nowhere near that part of our life anymore. We also did not go to UVA, but have the "MCV connection" which could make a difference in certain crowds/with us using these resources for Job hunting.

Do not think this is an issue as the C-ville area has UVA, a major intelligence center for ground warfare, tourism and other small but robust businesses. Richmond is larger and has more but scaled to its size. The big advantage is that the state government is based out of Richmond. Richmond is also the center of corporations in Virginia. Both have done ok comparatively in the last 5 or 6 years of recession. It always comes down to your skills and both areas support skilled knowledge based talent.

5. Charlottesville has a ton of activities to offer, but seemingly mostly outdoors, esp. for children. While this is great for a majority of the year, it seems that Richmond has the upper hand with more cultural options (various Museums, Botanical Gardens, theaters, children's "fun" centers, YMCAs, etc).

There are definitely more outdoor themed activities in C-ville and more traditional cultural activities in Richmond. Again it is the center of culture in Virginia being the state capitol. I guess it would depend on how many times you utilize these activities. C-ville has a strong cultural base especially considering its size. UVA helps contribute to this effect.

Both places are good places to be in my opinion. For what it is worth my step kids are split in their assessment. They moved back and forth a few times during their grade school and early high school years. The older daughter loves C-ville and hated Richmond and the younger son hates the country feel of C-ville and loves the urban feel of Richmond. Go figure seems everyone is not the same.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM

"Both places are good places to be in my opinion. For what it is worth my step kids are split in their assessment. They moved back and forth a few times during their grade school and early high school years. The older daughter loves C-ville and hated Richmond and the younger son hates the country feel of C-ville and loves the urban feel of Richmond. Go figure seems everyone is not the same."

Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Gregir:

Sorry, I hit last post too quickly. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for your input. We are still torn with which area to relocate to, as my husband has a potential job lead in both areas. I know, everyone is certainly different in their opinions and experiences. I just wanted to see if there was anything overtly "wrong" with either area that would be big enough for us to avoid it. It is always good to ask the locals as they tend to be "in the know" moreso than what I can read on-line, particularly when it comes to safety and any off-the-radar crime issues in a particular area (gangs, drugs, etc). Again, I realize that there are no guarantees, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything glaring. We feel pretty confident on which neighborhoods in Richmond would put us in a good school district/safe area, but are still looking into Albermarle County area/schools. Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM

3,216 posts, read 3,633,855 times
From today's Richmond Times-Dispatch...

RICHMOND, Va. --
Police were searching today for a group of about 15 young men believed to have committed an assault and a violent robbery in rapid succession on Virginia Commonwealth University's main academic campus in downtown Richmond.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted these assaults happened at like 2:30 am, but still....15 guys???

Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,447,744 times
It is important to note that the location was the VCU campus. If you have been on this campus, you know it is not reflective of the area as a whole. The Richmond area has good areas and bad areas. But so does Charlottesville.

"Richmond" is used to apply to a large area that extends beyond the city's legal limits.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 3,633,855 times
Normally I wouldn't comment on an incident like this, and I realize that VCU is an urban campus. But, having said that, I think being jumped by 15 guys is pretty extreme and very frightening on a college campus and certainly isn't the norm on most college campuses (no matter what the size school it is) throughout the country. If you read the whole article, it was a very violent attack. I live in an area where there are many universities, colleges, junior colleges, etc. and I've never heard of an incident like this..and it would make the news here for sure.

I realize the OP isn't going to be out and about at 2:30 in the morning in downtown Richmond but some people who would be considering living in Richmond proper would be (leaving bars, etc.) so whose to say that this wouldn't happen off campus as well. It's too bad because Richmond is doing its best to overcome a bad rep as far as crime/safety is concerned and I hope the good people of Richmond won't accept this type of thing.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM

911 posts, read 784,916 times
The guys seem to have been from suburban wrestling teams, ironic, eh?

I live in the city of Richmond. Most of it is very low crime. Take a look where the most expensive houses in the area are - the city. Doesn't exactly gibe with the hood, does it? That said, there are parts of Richmond where the crime is quite bad. They are on the opposite side of the city, and focused, no surprise, on the housing projects.

I have lived in both Richmond and Charlottesville, and like them both. I'd rather live in Richmond now because it's more fun. But I think choosing Charlottesville makes sense too. Basically - more urban go Richmond, more rural go Charlottesville. Richmond is actually cheaper in general. Safety and crime are not an issue in either place, though crime does happen in both places. Ironically, albemarle county is the only place I've ever had my house broken into. What does that mean? Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville