U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Probably a dumb question, but hope you will answer this.

Are your real estate tax and personal property tax paid to both the city AND the county at a combined rate (city rate + county rate)? Or, you need to pay to only one entity (city OR county) depending on your location being inside/outside the city limits?

Thanks in advance for answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM

401 posts, read 682,863 times
You only pay to one entity for property and personal as far as i know. I have lived in a variety of counties and cities in Virginia and have always paid it that way. Virginia is a little different from other states that an incorporated city is not part of the county governmentally. Each has their own courts, cops, etc. Where there are towns and cities that are not official cities then the county is the governmental agency.
Not 100% sure this is right but 98% sure.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,036 times
Thank you gregir for your response. I think you are right.

Personal property taxes in Charlottesville city and Albemarle county as they are (4.20% and 4.28% respectively), it makes sense that the tax is payable to one or the other, not both. If you must pay to both entities, for a $25,000 value car, the total annual tax will be $2120. That doesn't look right.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM

774 posts, read 1,359,560 times
That's right--you pay the tax once, to your jurisdiction, whether it be county or city.

The only way I've found to leverage it is to drive a nice, old, high-quality, low-mileage car.

Otherwise you're either driving a clunker or paying out the wazoo...annually.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,388,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
That's right--you pay the tax once, to your jurisdiction, whether it be county or city.

The only way I've found to leverage it is to drive a nice, old, high-quality, low-mileage car.

Otherwise you're either driving a clunker or paying out the wazoo...annually.
Pretty much...it doesn't help to drive a newer car in Virginia.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM

774 posts, read 1,359,560 times
And since newer (and nicer) cars are the ones with the most advanced safety equipment,
a case could be made that the PPT is responsible for a certain number of injuries and deaths!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 AM

38 posts, read 165,252 times
What if you buy a car in another State?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,060,239 times
If you live in Virginia the car has to be registered in Virginia (barring exceptions like military personnel). That means you will pay the Va. personal property tax even if you bought the car in another state.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM

893 posts, read 1,267,249 times
While the thread here is older, there is something anyone looking at relocating to Virginia needs to check out in regard to personal property tax/car tax. For the most part, the value of a car is based on the kelly blue book, if I recall correctly and then the tax is applied. It is correct that you only pay either city or county tax, not both.

But a significant factor is that with the "almost" abolition of the car tax, the state does some mumbo jumbo and the amount one is taxed is approximately 1/4 the amount of the computed tax. There are some variations for cars that are valued over a certain amount, cars used for business and not simply personal use and cars with over 100K miles on them which would vary from person to person but all in all, it seems to me that last year my car tax bill was all of maybe 60.00 annually /maybe a bit more on a 2005 Town & Country.

Make sure when figuring how much car tax really is by reading about the amount deducted from your bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville