Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 37,666 times

Advertisements

Charlottesville, VA: What business or service is Charlottesville in need of? Are there enough mini-golf courses in town, bowling centers, driving ranges, batting cages, sub shops. etc? What do you want or need? Moving to the area and thought the best way to get a job may be to create one for me and others at the same time. Please give me your thoughts and perspectives. I've heard that new businesses are hard to get started due to the politics? True or False based on your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,304,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborenal View Post
Charlottesville, VA: What business or service is Charlottesville in need of? Are there enough mini-golf courses in town, bowling centers, driving ranges, batting cages, sub shops. etc? What do you want or need? Moving to the area and thought the best way to get a job may be to create one for me and others at the same time. Please give me your thoughts and perspectives. I've heard that new businesses are hard to get started due to the politics? True or False based on your experiences?
Charlottesville already has a bowling alley and mini golf. And there is a golf range north of town in Greene county, not sure of one closer. And there are more than enough food options here, so I don't know if another sub shop would do good or not. However, I have heard complaints from some people that there is not enough youth activities to keep kids occupied and out of trouble. There use to be a place called Planet Fun I think that had an arcade, laser tag, or paint ball. But it closed down. I was never told why, but many were upset to see it go. So maybe laser tag, or paint ball. There is also no decent pool hall in town. And by that, I mean a dedicated pool hall not attached to a restaurant or anything else. My friends who play pool constantly lament about this. I'm not sure if there are batting cages here or not. i certainly don't know of any personally, but that might be something else to look into.

A really, really good driving school would be good too, because the ones here apparently aren't doing anything. Good luck and welcome to the area!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 11,590 times
A Nordstrom's or even a Macy's would be nice (read: a better mall). More free parking.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,740,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Charlottesville already has a bowling alley and mini golf. And there is a golf range north of town in Greene county, not sure of one closer. And there are more than enough food options here, so I don't know if another sub shop would do good or not. However, I have heard complaints from some people that there is not enough youth activities to keep kids occupied and out of trouble. There use to be a place called Planet Fun I think that had an arcade, laser tag, or paint ball. But it closed down. I was never told why, but many were upset to see it go. So maybe laser tag, or paint ball. There is also no decent pool hall in town. And by that, I mean a dedicated pool hall not attached to a restaurant or anything else. My friends who play pool constantly lament about this. I'm not sure if there are batting cages here or not. i certainly don't know of any personally, but that might be something else to look into.
That's always been a problem in Charlottesville. In the 70's and 80's when I was growing up, we had quite a few video arcades and my friends and I would spend hours there...every night playing pinball and the arcade games but over time they all closed. This was due more to the impact Atari was having by keeping people home than anything Charlottesville did. But...no one did anything to replace those arcades or try to come up with something for us to do. So lots of teens ended up hanging out at the mall and it was nothing to see fights and drinking all the time. The area needs something like Planet Fun to help keep kids out of trouble and it's a real shame it closed.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 AM

939 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Charlottesville hates children. I was born in the early 80s and grew up there in the 90s. Anything and everything geared towards a youth crowd was either forced out of business or run out of business due to an unfriendly business environment presented due to the kids involved. The arcade was pushed out of the "mall" because they felt it drew a bad crowd. The entertainment facility that included arcades, gokarts, putt-putt, bumper boats, etc, fought years and years of opposition because of its location near a middle school. It finally opened and ultimately failed. I'm unsure if it failed due to county zoning constraints or just a bad business model, but they obviously poured a ton of money into it and it wasn't for lack of effort. These are only a few examples of policies designed to dissuade entertainment for children. I never understood it, I assumed all towns its size were the same. It wasn't until I moved away that I found that cville was just in-general anti-chain business.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,136,225 times
Late night burrito delivery. Nobody does that anywhere in the world that i'm aware of. You'd make bank just off the students.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

774 posts, read 1,687,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
It wasn't until I moved away that I found that cville was just in-general anti-chain business.
Sounds like heaven!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,813,766 times
that sounds like a big plus to me too!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,740,728 times
If Charlottesville doesn't have a Firehouse Subs someone needs to open one. Their subs would give Tubby's a run for their money. Excellent and always fresh.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 37,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
If Charlottesville doesn't have a Firehouse Subs someone needs to open one. Their subs would give Tubby's a run for their money. Excellent and always fresh.
Firehouse Subs franchise is way too costly for me. I love 'em tho. Best hot subs in the industry IMHO>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville