U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM

939 posts, read 1,551,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm seriously thinking about retiring in C-ville and coming to visit this fall. Some of the comments here concern me. I didn't picture C-ville has having alot of trashy areas (but I know all places have some). I'm getting the impression one would have to stay to the north for the more upscale areas, off 29? Coming in as a visitor, which areas should I avoid or not drive thru/

I am quite surprised that the local authorities would let the Downtown Mall be overrun with "thugs" since that seems to be one of the big selling points of C-ville, the Downtown mall with its upscale restaurants, shops, etc. Is there enough police or security guard presence to make one feel safe or comfortable being there? I'm talking during the day and early evening hours, not closing time.
The downtown mall isn't overrun with thugs, not by a long shot. On fridays, it has a lot of (mostly) suburban teenagers that use it as a place to congregate. The northern areas of Albemarle are definitely not the nicest, they're just the most affordable and suburban (read: new). The Downtown area of Charlottesville is full of 100-150 year old million dollar mansions, and condos on or near the Downtown mall start at 300K and move up from there. The eastern and western parts are extremely affluent as well. Let's just put it this way, if you're blue collar and you live in Charlottesville proper, you likely rent something small or have owned it for 20+ years. There are remaining pockets of welfare queens in the Charlottesville area who do get advantages by living in the projects or crappy neighborhoods, but their concentrated in small pockets and are not representative of the city as a whole. Unfortunately, one of those final pockets is near enough to the Downtown mall for there to be the occasional late night assault or robbery, but those are typically in the peripheral areas and are pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 114,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sounds like you may be a SAHM with an over-active imagination. You know you're a lot more likely to be hurt or killed in a car accident or from a tick bite (lyme is rampant around these parts) than from gang violence right?
Wow- judge much? This thread seems to have been hijacked. This part time Doctor/full time Mom, unfortunately has more reason to be skeptical than an over active imagination and has seen first hand with her own eyes a SWAT team style drug dealer/firearms bust go down in her neighborhood. So, I'm trying to make the most well informed decision possible. Also, I hardly wrote the articles about gangs in Cville originally referenced in my post (there are others you can easily find with a simple google search). Nonetheless, we just drove home from the Homestead and I saw a whole different side of Waynesboro/Charlottesville that I was not impressed with at all. Thanks to all who posted to original post with useful information.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM

848 posts, read 1,636,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The downtown mall isn't overrun with thugs, not by a long shot. On fridays, it has a lot of (mostly) suburban teenagers that use it as a place to congregate. The northern areas of Albemarle are definitely not the nicest, they're just the most affordable and suburban (read: new). The Downtown area of Charlottesville is full of 100-150 year old million dollar mansions, and condos on or near the Downtown mall start at 300K and move up from there. The eastern and western parts are extremely affluent as well. Let's just put it this way, if you're blue collar and you live in Charlottesville proper, you likely rent something small or have owned it for 20+ years. There are remaining pockets of welfare queens in the Charlottesville area who do get advantages by living in the projects or crappy neighborhoods, but their concentrated in small pockets and are not representative of the city as a whole. Unfortunately, one of those final pockets is near enough to the Downtown mall for there to be the occasional late night assault or robbery, but those are typically in the peripheral areas and are pretty rare.
Gustavo- It is no secret that Cville has some issues with crime. I was thinking that you lived in Cville, but your rosy depiction of the Downtown Mall, which while nice, has had some pretty well publicized crime issues, makes me think otherwise. Plenty of thugs in that area- hence the Cville PD's attempt at locating a station right on the mall. Maybe you need to read the Hook or C-ville magazine, as they seem to cover crime issues better than the Daily Progress.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 AM

401 posts, read 682,081 times
Jilly-
What side of Waynesboro and C-ville was not impressive? very curious.
I have not seem much gang activity and all of the articles I read seem to indicate a concentration in the poor areas of the city proper. Not gang per se but meth operations exist out in the countryside in some ares. usually poorer counties in the region.
So what was the issues you saw returning from the homestead?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Gustavo- It is no secret that Cville has some issues with crime. I was thinking that you lived in Cville, but your rosy depiction of the Downtown Mall, which while nice, has had some pretty well publicized crime issues, makes me think otherwise. Plenty of thugs in that area- hence the Cville PD's attempt at locating a station right on the mall. Maybe you need to read the Hook or C-ville magazine, as they seem to cover crime issues better than the Daily Progress.
The police station on the downtown mall has existed for 20 years, it's a satellite that is right by the municipal building. I don't currently live in Charlottesville, but I still spend a few weekends a year there with many evenings and afternoons spent on the downtown mall. The sort of crime that exists there is the crime of opportunity that usually occurs when the bars are letting out. Undesirables in the surrounding Garrett Square (Friendship court) complex can sometimes jump or rob people that appear vulnerable or inebriated, but this generally does not occur on the mall itself, but on the outer limits (think where the soon-to-be-defunct X Lounge is). As with any urban area, if you keep a good head on your frame, you will be fine.

I readthehook(.com) quite frequently to keep up with my old stomping grounds. Their articles are usually commented on by a bunch of sensationalists who think Charlottesville is somehow unique in their issues and appear to have never lived elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 AM

32 posts, read 114,671 times
No offense to anyone here. To each his own, right? Let's just say that I am quickly realizing that I am not a mountain girl at all. Nothing personifies the disparity of wealth more to me than the mountains of VA/Shendoah Valley. We traveled to Lexington, Natural Bridge area, Clifton Forge (the worst of where we traveled in my opinion), to The Homestead/Hot Springs area, and then into Waynesboro area last week. It seems like a classic study of "the haves vs. have nots." For example, you exit The Homestead resort onto 39, then 42 (I think - my husband was driving) and immediately after exiting this gorgeous resort, all you see are either huge, plantation-like farms OR extremely poor trailers/houses that are in complete disrepair. Also, lots of the nicer homes are for sale (including many surrounding The Homestead) and nearly all businesses beyond The Homestead area of Bath County seem to be closed. I am sure, if you delve further, there must be a middle class, but from what I saw it can't be that big. Perhaps this had me totally jaded/depressed by the time we got into Waynesboro, but this type of area is just not for me. I think that it would be safe to say that these types of areas would tend to be where one would have to worry about drugs, particularly meth addicts. I have had enough of that. There are certainly many beautiful areas in this region of VA that I like to visit, but would not want to call home. Thanks to all though, for your help and input.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
Jilly-
What side of Waynesboro and C-ville was not impressive? very curious.
I have not seem much gang activity and all of the articles I read seem to indicate a concentration in the poor areas of the city proper. Not gang per se but meth operations exist out in the countryside in some ares. usually poorer counties in the region.
So what was the issues you saw returning from the homestead?

Meth type stuff will likely be concentrated in the southwest portions of the state. That area has oxy problems as well, but you might as well be in a different state vs Charlottesville. In terms of some of the "bad" areas of charlottesville: Like anywhere, avoid public housing projects. The largest exists between the downtown Mall and Belmont. Belmont used to be the traditional low-income area, but has since become the land of boutique hipsters which has driven up housing and rental costs. Additional areas which are not perceived well are the areas of Page and Paoli street, but it's basically the area off of main street between the downtown mall and the UVA campus. That is the most blighted area currently, but has seen some signs of gentrification.

An issue Charlottesville has is having low-income areas between the downtown Mall and the UVA campus, which are two anchors of affluence. The typical target of these crimes are drunk UVA students who are oblivious to their surroundings (which does not make it right). However, over the last 20-30 years, these areas have undergone a gentrification sweep, and once the current (mostly elderly) generation is gone, the areas will look nothing like they do today, as they're ripe for development.

In terms of redneckary, there's plenty of that, but it's mostly outside of Albermarle County. Those folks had to move away years ago due to prices, and can be found heavily concentrated in the surrounding counties. Stay out of Fluvanna, Orange, and to a lesser extent, Greene and Nelson. Waynesboro is a country down with a whole different vibe. Once you go over Afton Mountain, you're firmly entrenched in the Valley, which is serious Bible Belt.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyB123 View Post
No offense to anyone here. To each his own, right? Let's just say that I am quickly realizing that I am not a mountain girl at all. Nothing personifies the disparity of wealth more to me than the mountains of VA/Shendoah Valley. We traveled to Lexington, Natural Bridge area, Clifton Forge (the worst of where we traveled in my opinion), to The Homestead/Hot Springs area, and then into Waynesboro area last week. It seems like a classic study of "the haves vs. have nots." For example, you exit The Homestead resort onto 39, then 42 (I think - my husband was driving) and immediately after exiting this gorgeous resort, all you see are either huge, plantation-like farms OR extremely poor trailers/houses that are in complete disrepair. Also, lots of the nicer homes are for sale (including many surrounding The Homestead) and nearly all businesses beyond The Homestead area of Bath County seem to be closed. I am sure, if you delve further, there must be a middle class, but from what I saw it can't be that big. Perhaps this had me totally jaded/depressed by the time we got into Waynesboro, but this type of area is just not for me. I think that it would be safe to say that these types of areas would tend to be where one would have to worry about drugs, particularly meth addicts. I have had enough of that. There are certainly many beautiful areas in this region of VA that I like to visit, but would not want to call home. Thanks to all though, for your help and input.
I've never heard of Central VA characterized as an area full of meth addicts. Teenage potheads of wealthy boomer parents? Maybe, but Meth addicts? You need to go to Roanoke for that filth.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,732,486 times
I think anyplace in the US where it is very rural, you are going to find the same type of economics. It's true in upstate New York, true in California, true when I drove thru rural parts of New Hampshire and Massachusetts....

Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 AM

401 posts, read 682,081 times
thanks Jilly,
I was wondering what the issue was and you explained it well. I disagree about some of it and know, as a resident , that there are big differences in varying counties and that appearances are deceiving. As an example I live in nelson county and there are some estate wealthy looking homes and some ramshackle places right next to each other. The wealthy estates are the poorer of the group. However I think that is unique to the general area I live in and that in a lot of the state there is a difference in income and wealth. It is also true that meth issues in the rural areas of VA have been rising and most of the local law enforcement have inadequate resources to deal with it. Congrats on knowing yourself well enough to make a discerning judgment about what you want and need to live. That is a lot more rare than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville