Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,756,614 times

Advertisements

Yep, think Rita Mae brown on the above.

Mom is just north of bird, not that far.and I drive a pickup, so that aspect of coral gables always annoyed me...

I'm not sure which is better for you, cville, or halfway to Richmond. (Richmond lesbians seem to trend toward the neighborhoods in the city south of the river, btw, but I'm not an expert. Ask at the lesbian bar in carytown, babes, if you want specifics. And btw, I saw your mass posting - Northampton is the us capital of lesbians, and the winters suck. Which aspect is more important?

Answer to all of the above is go visit at the worst time of year, I'd guess. Which for you will be feb in mass or va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Powhatan subdivisions like Liberty Hill are extremely different than the fenced in ones in FL. They are usually on a gravel road with forests on both sides. Amongst those forests are driveways and most houses cannot be seen from the main road. In large lot subdivisions most neighbors never meet each other. Depending on how its zoned, some people have removed nearly all their trees so basically they are in a open field. Powhatan is a conservative quiet county with no real town to speak of. That subdivision sits in the sweet spot of the county (Red lane Rd, Route 711, Route 288, Route 60). Its within 10 minutes of 288 which will get to Whole Foods parking lot in under 30 minutes total. Working from home is pretty easy as Comcast is the provider and current speed is at 50/20 (I work out of my house too and am not a realtor). The county is so quiet that at night you can hear the train passing through four miles away in Goochland. For most of what you are describing it can be found on a 2AC parcel. The main thing is want whatever you find to be zoned A-1. As to the people in the county , the ones you do meet are all friendly (including the ones you drive by as some wave as they pass you in the opposite direction). Powhatan has an extremely low crime rate. The only issue I see out of your shopping list is neighborly neighbors. If you want that then you want to look at Chesterfield west of 288 along 360. The parcels will be smaller and more expensive.

Here's a mapviewer for Powhatan

Powhatan County, VA - Map Viewer

This is a half mile away from Liberty Hill - The listing price is high. It looks like a flip could probably knock $50k off the top since assesses is $257k

http://www.trulia.com/property/30986...-23139#photo-2

http://www.powhatancountyrealestate....ard&id=1347724

Last edited by Pruzhany; 01-18-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM

33 posts, read 93,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Powhatan subdivisions like Liberty Hill are extremely different than the fenced in ones in FL. They are usually on a gravel road with forests on both sides. Amongst those forests are driveways and most houses cannot be seen from the main road. In large lot subdivisions most neighbors never meet each other. Depending on how its zoned, some people have removed nearly all their trees so basically they are in a open field. Powhatan is a conservative quiet county with no real town to speak of. That subdivision sits in the sweet spot of the county (Red lane Rd, Route 711, Route 288, Route 60). Its within 10 minutes of 288 which will get to Whole Foods parking lot in under 30 minutes total. Working from home is pretty easy as Comcast is the provider and current speed is at 50/20 (I work out of my house too and am not a realtor). The county is so quiet that at night you can hear the train passing through four miles away in Goochland. For most of what you are describing it can be found on a 2AC parcel. The main thing is want whatever you find to be zoned A-1. As to the people in the county , the ones you do meet are all friendly (including the ones you drive by as some wave as they pass you in the opposite direction). Powhatan has an extremely low crime rate. The only issue I see out of your shopping list is neighborly neighbors. If you want that then you want to look at Chesterfield west of 288 along 360. The parcels will be smaller and more expensive.

Here's a mapviewer for Powhatan

Powhatan County, VA - Map Viewer

This is a half mile away from Liberty Hill - The listing price is high. It looks like a flip could probably knock $50k off the top since assesses is $257k

2785 Judes Ferry Road, Powhatan VA - Trulia

http://www.powhatancountyrealestate....ard&id=1347724
This is extremely helpful, thank you. Your description had me at: the country is so quiet at night that you can hear the train... A quiet day here, can be on a Sunday when there are not 3 lawn service companies going all around area and people speeding down the street, cutting though here to work.

And thank you for the links too!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humidMiami View Post
... A quiet day here, can be on a Sunday when there are not 3 lawn service companies going all around area and people speeding down the street, cutting though here to work.
I used to vacation down there in Las Olas upwards of 2009 and my family visitations as far down as Miami. Dealing with the traffic was bad enough. Speaking Spanish was helpful, but adding french just put me over my limit. Florida is the only state I've been in where speaking another language gets you better service. Many of the people who I know that came from Miami (or Florida in general) moved to Chesterfield because they needed to have some noise level, liked some traffic and wanted to be closer to amenities. Very few went to Charlottsville due to higher chances of snow and hilly roads. Also since Charlottsville has people from numerous other places, many inner parts have become uptight and not as real as you may think. Henrico is also similar to Charlottesville in relation to the people. Depending on which direction I'm going, I'll go to Whole Foods and Trader Joes and then get out ASAP. Traffic wise Charlottesville (a few miles) is much worse than Richmond (a few blocks).

Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM

774 posts, read 1,686,406 times
Quote:
Summer is hot, but much better than Miami.
Miami does not have days over 100° and central Virginia has several of them every year now.

About the gay thing--if you are 'obviously' gay you'd better be real careful moving to the Virginia countryside. It's full of rednecks.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM

895 posts, read 2,084,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Miami does not have days over 100°...
Now, now... it did have ONE day since 1895 that it reached 100. I initially questioned what you said, but a quick look proved you right. Of course, we all know that while we might hit that hundred mark a couple of times in the summer, we generally have a shorter summer with more variance in our daily highs through the summer (i.e. we have had plenty of daily highs in July-August closer to 80 than 90).

Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,756,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Miami does not have days over 100° and central Virginia has several of them every year now.

About the gay thing--if you are 'obviously' gay you'd better be real careful moving to the Virginia countryside. It's full of rednecks.
True, but immaterial. I'd take 100 degrees in va over 92 in Miami any day. I've worked outside in both, over 7 years in Miami, and over 7 years in VA. VA is MUCH nicer.

Depends on the location, but a lot of the rednecks I know, at least between Richmond and Charlottesville, are pretty live and let live.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 AM

774 posts, read 1,686,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
True, but immaterial. I'd take 100 degrees in va over 92 in Miami any day. I've worked outside in both, over 7 years in Miami, and over 7 years in VA. VA is MUCH nicer.
What's nicer about it? Miami gets sea breezes and relieving rainstorms. Central Virginia has neither. Several summers it hasn't rained appreciably between May and September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville