Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM

15 posts, read 46,026 times

Advertisements

So I've lived here a few years, and something I've never come to understand is why there are no pedestrian crosswalks across the busy shopping sections of US route 29N, for example by the Fashion Square Mall? Is there some kind of law or regulation against putting crosswalks across state highways in Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
There's no law against putting one in. My only guesses would be not enough pedestrian traffic to justify them, or VDOT felt they were not needed for some reason. Sounds like a good question for VDOT or the Albemarle County government.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitefulBadger View Post
So I've lived here a few years, and something I've never come to understand is why there are no pedestrian crosswalks across the busy shopping sections of US route 29N, for example by the Fashion Square Mall? Is there some kind of law or regulation against putting crosswalks across state highways in Virginia?
Seminole Dr. is a US highway as opposed to a state highway. Crosswalks might be nice, but they would just add to the pressure that is being exerted on VDOT to start the bypass.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 46,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Crosswalks might be nice, but they would just add to the pressure that is being exerted on VDOT to start the bypass.
Ah, this sounds like a possible motivation for delaying their implementation, giving the contentious nature of that subject.

It still bugs me that there are no crosswalks every time I see some poor soul trying to dart across 5 lanes of 45 mph traffic.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
Maybe it's their way of boosting public transportation.... Ride the bus if you want to live .

I know, I know... it's not funny if someone gets hit. But your right, it's a hell of a dash across when the light turns green.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
They are expensive but Lynchburg was able to build one in a similar location.

Wards Road Pedestrian Bridge | Banker Steel

Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
I personally think crossing 29 on foot is a bad idea. It's already enough of a death trap. Don't need to add in another variable. I do like the idea of putting a pedestrian bridge over the road, however figuring out the location would be difficult. I've seen most people crossing around Fashion Square Mall the most, so maybe there. Another option is to maybe build a tunnel under 29 at certain areas like what Harrisonburg did around JMU. But it would probably be too expensive and would make everyone have a hissy fit like with the 29 bypass.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I personally think crossing 29 on foot is a bad idea. It's already enough of a death trap. Don't need to add in another variable. I do like the idea of putting a pedestrian bridge over the road, however figuring out the location would be difficult. I've seen most people crossing around Fashion Square Mall the most, so maybe there. Another option is to maybe build a tunnel under 29 at certain areas like what Harrisonburg did around JMU. But it would probably be too expensive and would make everyone have a hissy fit like with the 29 bypass.
Tunnels aren't a bad option, but for the utilities that follow or are under road surfaces. To echo badger, Liberty U in Lynchburg is rather landlocked between a very wide US 460 and 2-16 railroad tracks. They have tunneled under bot US 460 AND the active railroad without impeding traffic at all. They are now beginning a project to tunnel under 6 tracks with two parallel two lane tunnels; rail traffic will never be stopped during the process. It is also less costly than the pedestrian bridge across Wards Rd.. The big issue then, is to direct pedestrian traffic to specific crossings, which Lynchburg is doing by fencing the center of US 29.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
The major advantage for bridges over tunnels would be that they feel safer. Tunnels at night can be very scary--and for good reasons. Harder to be bad when 1000's of cars are going right by. But I also think it is harder to get people to use bridges--many will still just take their chances--hence the new fences going up in L to force complicance.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
Maybe it's their way of boosting public transportation.... Ride the bus if you want to live .
There's no bus that takes you across the street from Fashion Square. The message is more like: Buy a car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville