U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 14,458 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are needing some input on where we should relocate to the VA area. I will give you a bit of info on what we are looking for and hope that you can point us in the right direction.

My husband and I grew up in South Carolina and have lived in the Charlotte, NC area for the past 13 years. We are conservatives in our 40s, DINKs (double income no kids) and love suburbia. We are looking to relocate to a town/city similar to the one we currently live in; Matthews, NC. It is a clean, suburban, middle class town of about 60K people about 30 minutes outside of Charlotte. There are newer strip centers with home improvement store, grocery shopping, major retail food and shopping chain and big box store within a one mile area, which I absolutely love for the convenience.

We are looking for a similar place to live that is a friendly and vibrant town with good restaurants and festivals but are no really into the nightlife scene anymore.

Hoping for recommendations on places between Harrisonburg/Staunton and Richmond that might be similar to where we currently live. Not sure that the Charlottesville area would be best for us for several reasons including that I have read that it is a very liberal town.

Any input you can give me is greatly appreciated. If you need more info, feel free to ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM

634 posts, read 711,651 times
Check out Lexington, VA. Nice college town.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Although my husband tells me Lexington is a nice town, it does not seems to have all of the amenities that a suburban area of a large city offers. It appears that I would need to travel to another town for some shopping.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM

843 posts, read 1,596,362 times
Fredricksburg... Less than 30 minutes to anything you could want.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that my husband is an avid fly fisherman so being close to trout streams would be a plus.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,333,438 times
We love Roanoke - and particularly like the size of the city - don't know about the fly fishing!

Plenty of pleasant suburban areas, and lots of shopping. Those who are in love with certain fashion outlets lament that Roanoke does not have them all - so you may want to trend Richmond way if that is a big deal for you!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM

634 posts, read 711,651 times
If you want fly fishing opportunities, you need to live in the Shenandoah Valley. East of the Blue Ridge? Not so much...

Staunton is a nice town, nicer than Waynesboro; cultural quality of life is much higher in Staunton with Mary Baldwin College, the Shakespeare theater, etc.

Until you visit and check these places out, you will never understand how different they feel, and how different the people who live in them are. The contrast between the friendly folk you will find in Staunton or Waynesboro versus those you will find in Charlottesville is huge.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM

335 posts, read 595,351 times
I agree with the other member that suggests Roanoke, that area is about equal to what your used to currently. The areas around Roanoke or Lynchburg would probably work too. There are plenty of fishing opportunities for your husband throughout almost any area you choose.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

399 posts, read 659,319 times
Staunton/Waynesboro is smaller less suburb is acceptable or even up toward Harissonburg and Roanoke if you need bigger. Williamsburg or York county may work as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I think Roanoke is too far south and we need to be more centrally located on one of the major interstates as my husbands job covers the entire state. What are your thoughts on Harrisonburg or possibly the west side suburbs of Richmond? I guess we may even have to consider a suburb of Charlottesville since it would be a central and convenient location. I think that maybe a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville