U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 16,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Still haven't a good explanation as too why Cville is so expensive!
Lived there for a few years...there isn't one. Nearly NoVa pricing without the amenities. Sure, there are some historical things there, but you can only go to Monticello so many times. The vineyards there are nice and I did enjoy jogging the various trails. Personally, I would rather live in NoVa or Richmond and drive to the wineries, mountains, etc. when I wanted to do that as opposed to living there. Job opportunities are extremely limited unless you are in the medical field or can get a job at UVA. When I lived there, there were no nice movie theaters - one was built "over the mountain" in Waynesboro just before I left the area. I think there is a newer movie theater now on 29. Increased my salary exponentially by moving to Richmond. To each his own - I was terribly bored there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:37 PM

60 posts, read 233,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtovalady View Post
Lived there for a few years...there isn't one. Nearly NoVa pricing without the amenities. Sure, there are some historical things there, but you can only go to Monticello so many times. The vineyards there are nice and I did enjoy jogging the various trails. Personally, I would rather live in NoVa or Richmond and drive to the wineries, mountains, etc. when I wanted to do that as opposed to living there. Job opportunities are extremely limited unless you are in the medical field or can get a job at UVA. When I lived there, there were no nice movie theaters - one was built "over the mountain" in Waynesboro just before I left the area. I think there is a newer movie theater now on 29. Increased my salary exponentially by moving to Richmond. To each his own - I was terribly bored there.
I agree with all of this. But will offer an explanation of why things are so expensive here. Basically, there is no internal economy. Most high paying jobs come from either the university (tuition) or the government (JAG). I've learned to never open the yellow pages. You ask who knows who and eventually you find someone willing to not hose you on the price. It is nice scenery, but boring.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM

39 posts, read 62,198 times
apart from the historic/outdoor/university attractions, which would drive up real costs anywhere, also factor in this: there is A LOT of money in/around Charlottesville. Albemarle county is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. And those folks spend their money. A few years ago I could go to the city (aka "farmers'") market and get reasonably priced baked goods. Not anymore. If a vendor can get away with charging $3 for a single muffin (because there are so many rich folks and rich students who don't even think twice about paying that), why wouldn't they?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM

91 posts, read 118,024 times
pict,

100% right. In the last five years, the amount of millionaires moving into Albemarle/Charlottesville is astounding. Go look at Crozet right now. A very high end grocery/market is going up....in tiny Crozet. Something that you might expect in the west end of Richmond more than an unincorporated place in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Some of the real estate sales I've seen in Western Albemarle in the past 2 years have been eye-popping. There is a lot of money pouring into that area.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM

100 posts, read 175,952 times
Man I hope that they don't try and change Crozet's famous pizza.
It is funny because I use UVA's library on occasion - completely free to VA residents - so I go to some of the stores there and noticed the cost as well. I live-in Nova and was shocked to find that some of the "discount" retailers like Steinmart had prices higher than up here! Also their restaurant prices are higher than I expected to see. They were high even right near campus. I see plenty of pockets which seem to be doing very well-on or around campus, but what I see North up 29 from campus don't seem as affluent. IMHO
I pretty much stick to Hess for cheap gas and maybe Play it Again Sports to see what they have and use the school library when I pass through and that is about it. (unless there is a concert or sporting event) as it is not worth the stop for any discounts.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,672 times
Default Charlorresville newbes

We, my husband who is retired and myself who is a RN will be moving to Charlottesville from Cetral California with our 11 yr-old dog. I will be working at UVA. We've decided to rent the first year and then buy after we decide which part is right for us. We would like to rent a house within 15" of UVA with stores and restaurants close by. Downtown is not appealing as the homes are very old and it has alot of college kids, I love them both, just not to live with, sounds predudice but, I'm not at all. We would like something low-middle of the road. Any help would be greatly appretiated.
Thanks,
Mary

Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 PM

70 posts, read 68,224 times
Try Johnson Village area near Fry's Spring - close to hospital, houses from the 70s - 90s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or