Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,295 times

Advertisements

I am a conservative and I am currently attending a community college. I need to find the best college that I can go to for what I want to study. I want to study Radiology Onocology, I have thought about VCU but I live 30min from Richmond and I know how bad the VCU area is. So I am interested in UVA... I would like to know if it is liberal. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer22 View Post
I am a conservative and I am currently attending a community college. I need to find the best college that I can go to for what I want to study. I want to study Radiology Onocology, I have thought about VCU but I live 30min from Richmond and I know how bad the VCU area is. So I am interested in UVA... I would like to know if it is liberal. Thank you
Liberal in the way they interpret oncology tests?
Liberal in core educational principles?
Liberal in preferred political philosophy of students and/or faculty?
Liberal in terms of general attitudes toward social issues?
Liberal in awards for financial aid?

Not quite sure how the L-label affects whether you want to study radiology oncology...

(is the VCU area very badly liberal or what? I'm not familiar with it...)

Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 PM

All of the questions you asked... just in general and in politics are they liberal? When I was talking about my major I was stating the reason why I am interested in going to UVA... it has a medical college like VCU. VCU is in the bad part of Richmond, and yes that area is VERY liberal. VCU area is dangerous to be in... From what I hear UVA is a beautiful and safer place to be.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 40,007 times
You are aware that you can't "study" radiation oncology (I assume that is what you mean)?
To become a radiation oncologist you have to get into med school first, then do an internship and 3-4 years of residency in radiation oncology. The UVA School of Medicine is one of the best in the country, so getting in would be your first problem. Secondly, rad onc is a very popular residency (no call and decent pay) so only the top medical students get a spot. I don't want to discourage you, but you are facing an uphill battle.

UVA liberal? Very much so, yes.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM

That's not true for the Radiation technician program.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Good luck in finding a place that gives you what you need academically and also has the kind of atmosphere you want. I'm not sure I would strike UVa off the list because of its politics.....most large universities like that have a pretty wide diversity of political opinions represented across the student body - but I don't have the familiarity with UVa specifically. Like I said...good luck!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer22 View Post
All of the questions you asked... just in general and in politics are they liberal? When I was talking about my major I was stating the reason why I am interested in going to UVA... it has a medical college like VCU. VCU is in the bad part of Richmond, and yes that area is VERY liberal. VCU area is dangerous to be in... From what I hear UVA is a beautiful and safer place to be.
Vcu area is not dangerous, that's complete ignorant nonsense. As is the idea of studying radiation oncology in undergrad, as others have mentioned.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:26 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Vcu area is not dangerous, that's complete ignorant nonsense. As is the idea of studying radiation oncology in undergrad, as others have mentioned.

It certainly has its bad areas. This is well known and feel free to ask any police officer around there. I'm in LE and have several friends there. While certainly not a Detroit it has more crime issues compared to UVA and other VA colleges.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 60,632 times
Charlottesville routinely gives 75% of its vote to statewide Democratic candidates, whereas surrounding Albemarle is about 55-60% Democratic. Clear it up any?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It certainly has its bad areas. This is well known and feel free to ask any police officer around there. I'm in LE and have several friends there. While certainly not a Detroit it has more crime issues compared to UVA and other VA colleges.
City yes, area no. I live there, and all the LEs I know agree with me. Vcu area is good, areas northeast of vcu get bad. Look for the projects and you'll find the bad areas. If vcu area was bad, there would be houses under half a million nearby. There aren't, unless they are disasters. What kind of bad neighborhood is full of million dollar houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville