Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

New to this so please bear with me. I am a NYer who is getting married this summer. We are both IT professionals who are blending our respective families. Essentially we for have 5 year olds but in different academic places. Its difficult for me to gauge where to live and educate because in NYC the best deal is private school. It was shocking to see that on average private PK-8 costs what we pay for Nursery here.

Either way, I saw on another thread that Midlothian is a nice place. The majority of the houses I have looked at that I really like are in Charlottesville. Its really hard not to know the best place to live for commuting, schools and general good living. Is there a Whole Foods near by?!?! LOLOL

Another caveat that should be considered is that we are a multi-racial family. I went to college in VA so I know how things can be. Any guidance that can be provided on good private schools (looked into Peabody) and great places to live would be greatly appreciated.

My fiance and I are coming in June to scout and hopefully buy a house.

Thanks
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times
I moved to Va. from New York and have been here since 2006. I'm not a native but I believe they say the best school systems are in Henrico. My youngest graduates next year from high school then my wife and I will be done with that part of our lives.

C'ville is a fun place with lots to do as far as sporting events, concerts, if you can get in UVA is probably the most prominent employer. I saw Pearl Jam there last October at JPJ. Even if you're not a huge football fan watching the Cavaliers play on a Saturday is pretty fun and it's something to do. Also I like to visit the Carter Mountain Orchard and hike in Shenandoah National Park.

I live in Orange, 20 minutes outside Charlottesville. The homes here are cheaper then in C'ville, probably get more home for your money. Here in Orange we have the Barboursville Vineyard which is pretty nice. It's also home to James Madison.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
Yes, Charlottesville has a Whole Foods. There are a number of private schools in the Charlottesville area, I can only think of 2 right now though, St. Annes Belfield & Miller School. The first is on the edge of town, the second is in the Western part of Albemarle County near Crozet,VA.. There is a home school option also, I'm not sure how to contact those groups but the school system might be able to help.

Your family make-up won't be an issue, there's always one in every crowd, but you'll be fine in either the Charlottesville or Greater Richmond area.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 AM

419 posts, read 902,479 times
tandem school and fioeld school are some other private schools. The public schools in western albemarle county seem to be popular for those looking foir a "good" school. You may want to look at the crozet area outside of Cville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville