Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well VA is hard to get used to it. It is not as diverse. Also, the people drive so slow it is unbelievable. Also the culture it is very different than NY. So yeah I know from where the NYers are coming from. NYers are taking over lol. I saw another poster wrote about NYers moving to TN as well. So if you're from NY, then why are you complaining about seeing a lot of plates from NY?
VA is not diverse? are you comparing the city of NY to the state of VA with regards to diversity? have you been outside of NYC? the state of NY is as diverse as lynard skynard concert. also, NYers are the worst drivers on the planet. people from new england in general with some wealth, love to move south and destroy once nice towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,885 times
I was born and raised in the areas of Putnam County, Northern Westchester, and Danbury Connecticut. I know how some of the Westchester and Connecticut folk can be, I'm not saying all people so don't get offended. It's actually kinda of funny cause some of the most snooty ones are transplants from somewhere else. They're not even natives to New York or Connecticut.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I was born and raised in the areas of Putnam County, Northern Westchester, and Danbury Connecticut. I know how some of the Westchester and Connecticut folk can be, I'm not saying all people so don't get offended. It's actually kinda of funny cause some of the most snooty ones are transplants from somewhere else. They're not even natives to New York or Connecticut.
I moved from VA to NC a while ago. I am glad I left NC. the transplants were mostly obnoxious. I am like you in that I was a transplant myself, but I kinda tried to fit in with local culture, not change it.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:32 PM

That's the thing, you have to realize that when you move out of say New York and head to say South Carolina, you're leaving one region and going to another.

You may not find good pizza and bagels in South Carolina but by the same token you probably won't find good fried chicken, hush puppies, or cole slaw in New York.

The south of today is modern, educated, progressive, and except for a maybe a few small areas, no where near as racist as it used to be.

When you move from one area to another, you need to be able to accept change.

Some debate if Virginia is really southern anyway cause it's part of the mid-Atlantic region, it's kinda in the middle of north and south. However Richmond was home to the Confederacy, which was the southern army.

In my opinion Maryland down is the south and Pennsylvania up is the north. The Mason-Dixon Line does run through Pennsylvania so if you're below that line you would be in the southern states compared to above the line which would then be the Northern states

Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
That's the thing, you have to realize that when you move out of say New York and head to say South Carolina, you're leaving one region and going to another.

You may not find good pizza and bagels in South Carolina but by the same token you probably won't find good fried chicken, hush puppies, or cole slaw in New York.

The south of today is modern, educated, progressive, and except for a maybe a few small areas, no where near as racist as it used to be.

When you move from one area to another, you need to be able to accept change.

Some debate if Virginia is really southern anyway cause it's part of the mid-Atlantic region, it's kinda in the middle of north and south. However Richmond was home to the Confederacy, which was the southern army.

In my opinion Maryland down is the south and Pennsylvania up is the north. The Mason-Dixon Line does run through Pennsylvania so if you're below that line you would be in the southern states compared to above the line which would then be the Northern states
when I lived in NC, I worked with guys from NY. I actually had one of them tell me that if I "wanted good NC style bbq" I needed to go to NY. no, I am not kidding.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM

That's odd indeed. The barbecue places I believe are North Carolina, Kansas City, Texas, and Memphis.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
That's odd indeed. The barbecue places I believe are North Carolina, Kansas City, Texas, and Memphis.
I think it's simply a case of certain states thinking they invented the wheel. I think all states contribute.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
What's with all the New York Plates in C'ville, Orange,
VA now has the nearly identical plate as NYs now in Orange. Also don't forget graduation week had also just past so they were also here for the move outs. Barracks Road Shopping Center was packed today, but there were no out of state plates that stuck out.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 AM

That's true

Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM

34 posts, read 92,058 times
Default It’s not just a feeling you may have — it’s true.

Quote:
With economic climate up north being outrageous high tax high cost of living, I've been noticing a lot of New York plates driving around and at the gas station the other day I had a conversation with a woman from Connecticut.

Usually the NY/CT exodus heads mainly to NC and for the older folks Florida.

I was born and raised in New York but have also lived in Washington State, Florida, and Germany. I was military at one time in my life.

Anyways I hope that the great fleeing north doesn't try turn this area into a Westchester/NYC/CT kinda of place.
It sounds like you have noticed more people from New York and Connecticut driving around and maybe you are wonder if they are fleeing from high-tax places like Westchester, NYC and Connecticut to places like Orange and Central Virginia that offer lower taxes. Looking at an interactive wealth migration map, it is not just a feeling you may have — it’s true.

The map results showed that $2.47 billion in wealth moved from New York to Virginia in the span of 15 years. It is intriguing to see how wealth flowed through some of the communities you mentioned to Central Virginia. Here is how Albemarle County (VA) gained some of that wealth: New York County (NY) lost $3.16B to Westchester County (NY) where $1.80B was lost to Fairfield County (CT) and finally $69.70M flowed into Albemarle County (VA).

All of the communities that lost wealth remained “blue” while Albemarle County changed from “red” to “purple”.

According to the map’s figures, more money has come into Central Virginia from other communities than has left – EXCEPT for the City of Charlottesville. In the 15-year span that Charlottesville lost $84.49 million in wealth, it also changed from “purple” (45%) to “dark-blue” (78%)…it is currently loosing $10.00 of adjusted gross income every minute.

You might now be wondering - as Albemarle County continues to turn “blue” and taxes continue to rise - where will the wealth flow next? Orange County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville