Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

All opinions welcome! Been offered position in Cville at about 85% of what I make living on central coast of California. We are natives of Georgia but have lived on central coast for over 10 years. Have been to Cville and found it to be very nice. However state taxes actually seem higher on income around 80k. Housing is also pretty high. Anyone ever make the move from CA to Cville. If so, how do you like it? What about winters, lack of sunshine etc.? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 AM

382 posts, read 867,841 times
Not sure how the taxes work on that salary, I've never made near that much, but I'd imagine you could put a portion of that towards a retirement plan and lower your tax liability. Because, even at 60-75K you could live like a king around the area of Charlottesville.

When I say "area around" I mean OUTSIDE the city limits of Charlottesville. It is an independent government from Albemarle County and has a higher tax rate & cost of living, and special taxes on things like garbage pick-up (I'm not kidding, pretty stupid, huh?). If you go one county further in any direction it gets cheaper and only about 30 minutes from Charlottesville still. Places like Greene, Fluvanna, Nelson, Augusta, & Orange Counties.

The weather, you will get all 4 seasons here and the weather that comes with them. Then there's fog, ice and the occasional Hurricane or Tropical Storm that makes it ashore and brings rain, rain, rain..... No earthquakes until a couple of year ago, who would have guessed. Not as much sun as Cali, but more than say Seattle.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM

333 posts, read 328,947 times
I don't see how your tax burden in Charlottesville could be higher than California. Plus, many other things are cheaper. For instance, gas here is around $2.50 a gallon right now. A quick google search showed me that gas is going for about $3.50 in SLO. Previous poster is correct about housing being cheaper outside of Charlottesville, but the city isn't completely outrageous and you could do alright at 80k.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I don't see how your tax burden in Charlottesville could be higher than California. Plus, many other things are cheaper. For instance, gas here is around $2.50 a gallon right now. A quick google search showed me that gas is going for about $3.50 in SLO. Previous poster is correct about housing being cheaper outside of Charlottesville, but the city isn't completely outrageous and you could do alright at 80k.
I agree, especially concerning the OP's claim that state tax on 80k income would be higher in VA than CA. In fact, it is the other way around, CA is higher than VA, per this state tax burden calculator: State State Tax Calculator 2015/2016 | 2015 Tax Refund Calculator

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,318 times
Default Virginia Tax Higher

I ran the tax calculations on the site you provided with a total 3 dependents including myself and Virginia was around $800 higher than California for state income tax on 80k.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 AM

407 posts, read 966,961 times
Charlottesville will be much cheaper overall....period. I live in NY and visit my son in the Charlottesville area. There is practically nothing that I would say is more expensive than in NY, and many many things that cost much less. Including property taxes, gas, milk, insurance, electricity, etc. etc. I'm sure you won't like the weather as much, but it is better in C'Ville than NY too.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM

70 posts, read 95,569 times
We visited CA last summer and were shocked at how expensive everything was. You will find Charlottesville to be more expensive than Richmond, but then again it's nicer, too ;-)

Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflower123 View Post
I ran the tax calculations on the site you provided with a total 3 dependents including myself and Virginia was around $800 higher than California for state income tax on 80k.
Are you filing married/jointly, or married separately, or single, or head of household? In your OP you said "we" so is the income you are discussing one person's income, or the household income for 2 earners? In other words, what will your total household income be? Without knowing that, and your filing status, it is impossible to know your tax bite.

For singles and marrieds filing separately, the marginal tax rates in CA are steep and punitive. The marginal rate for these filers is 9.3 percent above approx $51k taxable income, vs a top marginal rate of 5.7 percent in VA on everything over approx $17k.

However, it does appear that filing as head of household or married/jointly in CA, for instance, reduces the higher marginal rate burden by doubling the income brackets.

So I can see where VA's tax bite could be slightly higher in your case on an income of $80k, depending on your filing status and your total household income.

I still believe this is a "can't see the forest for the trees" issue, though, when you consider ALL taxes and cost of living differences between the 2 states and locales - VA almost certainly has to come out ahead on a comparative analysis.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM

239 posts, read 281,035 times
Also remember how much in cost savings Prop 13 gets you in California. You've been there 10 years, if you bought, I'm sure your property values have appreciated a lot while your property taxes have stayed pretty close to your original purchase price.

Here in VA ,there are no such protections for property tax increases.

I moved from the Bay Area, and I certainly miss the same pleasant weather all year (not to mention having access to fresh produce). Winters and summers are tough in VA. The unpleasant months are Jan through mid-April, and July through mid- September where you're pretty much inside with the heat or the A/C on high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville