Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I currently live in Denver, Colorado and I'm considering moving to Charlottesville next month, in part, to find a less crowded place to live.

I'm single, in my 40s, love the outdoors. I did go to UVA and graduated in 1993 (undergrad) and 1995 (grad) and I'm sure C-ville has changed quite a bit! I grew up in Fairfax.

I run my own online business, and work from home and coffee shops. I do enjoy being able to walk to places (coffee shops, restaurants) and also enjoy being close to trails and water (lakes, rivers).

Yesterday's sad events notwithstanding, what are some of the pros and cons of living in Charlottesville itself and where are the best areas of Charlottesville to live? I am looking to rent.

Thank you!

Scott

P.S. I am considering Roanoke as well, so if you have any opinions of C-ville vs Roanoke, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
As you were here around ~25 years ago the lay of the city and the lay of the country is basically the same. If you want to be within walking distance to anything then you need to look for something near the pedestrian mall or near the row of shops that parallel UVA. If you want to be closer to nature then head west or north of the city. Keep in mind the mix of people has changed to a higher transplant population akin to the gentrification people who transplanted to NYC.

Can't tell you really anything about Roanoke as the only part of it I like is driving on the mountain with the star on it during winter after it's snowed. It's a real test of ones driving skill to drive from the top and survive the trip to the bottom w/o any near misses.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:09 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Roanoke is friendlier than C-ville IMO. Roanoke has a neat downtown and a wonderful system of greenways. There are several loft apartments downtown. I have not lived in C-ville, but used to go to the downtown mall at least 2x a week for several years. And I've done plenty of shopping in C-ville. Both places are nice, but I prefer Roanoke. In terms of housing costs, Roanoke is less costly than C-ville.

Roanoke, VA Downtown District | The Official Website of Downtown Roanoke, Inc
https://www.roanokeva.gov/1901/Greenways

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
The only benefit over Roanoke is that Charlottesville is just down the road from D.C. if that's important to you. Just went up the other day for the afternoon and returned not too late the same day. Roanoke is somewhat isolated from other large population centers. Charlottesville while smaller, has a bit more cosmopolitan feel due to the influence of the university and possibly a more "educated" populace. And has decent shopping and attractions considering the size of the place. The downsides of Charlottesville are that it's expensive, has wildly polarized social classes in a relatively small area, and has some really serious social issues that the city hopes no one will notice and will just go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville