U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM
 
146 posts, read 169,123 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

We went to Winchester, VA as well. The person at the front desk of our hotel was literally the meanest, rudest, most confrontational person I have ever dealt with in my life. It was like being in the twilight zone. It could have just been him, but I really doubt it as a few of the customers there slowly smoked cigarettes and blocked the overhang with their vehicles while it was pouring down rain. We sat in our car waiting for someone to move so we could unload and they just went upstairs into their rooms. Weird freaking crap we experienced in Virginia. When people act like you don't exist when you hold a door open or they death stare at you when you say excuse me in a grocery store, its like why?!?! Virginia is such a beautiful state and it would be nice to live there but we can't handle all the hate and the toll it takes on your self esteem when people are mean all day.

 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM
 
Location: SW Virginia
696 posts, read 382,615 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Virginia's cosmopolitan areas are very transient. I would presume that C-Ville is that way, too. Not as bad as my hometown (Alexandria) but there are definitely a lot of folks I've met who are from elsewhere.
We went to Alexandria way back in 2000. Interesting town and we had a good time. We went from SW VA to MD first, then crossed the bridge back into VA. But, it was so different to me that I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't in MD anymore, but actually in my home state of VA. We also had a hard time finding someone who could speak English on the street when we were trying to find a certain building.
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tampa
686 posts, read 344,986 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
We went to Alexandria way back in 2000. Interesting town and we had a good time. We went from SW VA to MD first, then crossed the bridge back into VA. But, it was so different to me that I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't in MD anymore, but actually in my home state of VA. We also had a hard time finding someone who could speak English on the street when we were trying to find a certain building.
Uh, ok. What part of the city were you in? Sounds like maybe the west end, or maybe Arlandria. Definitely not old town.
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: SW Virginia
696 posts, read 382,615 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
We went to Winchester, VA as well. The person at the front desk of our hotel was literally the meanest, rudest, most confrontational person I have ever dealt with in my life. It was like being in the twilight zone. It could have just been him, but I really doubt it as a few of the customers there slowly smoked cigarettes and blocked the overhang with their vehicles while it was pouring down rain. We sat in our car waiting for someone to move so we could unload and they just went upstairs into their rooms. Weird freaking crap we experienced in Virginia. When people act like you don't exist when you hold a door open or they death stare at you when you say excuse me in a grocery store, its like why?!?! Virginia is such a beautiful state and it would be nice to live there but we can't handle all the hate and the toll it takes on your self esteem when people are mean all day.
We stayed at Winchester once in a big chain Motel on the way back to SW VA. Everyone was nice except the owner/manager. She ran the place like a Navy ship. ...Never went back.

Just about all of Virginia small communities and towns are real nice, but if you want to visit some nice Cities, try Lynchburg, as someone mentioned earlier, or Roanoke. Although not heaven on earth, most people really enjoy their Roanoke visit. Nice places to see and go to and nice people to boot. Traffic is also known for it's kindness. We will also hold the door for you.
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM
 
Location: SW Virginia
696 posts, read 382,615 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Uh, ok. What part of the city were you in? Sounds like maybe the west end, or maybe Arlandria. Definitely not old town.
Actually, it was Old Town.

No dis-respect in any way, but wondering why you are saying it could not have been?
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Tampa
686 posts, read 344,986 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Actually, it was Old Town.

No dis-respect in any way, but wondering why you are saying it could not have been?
Old town is rich white people central. Spent 34 years in and around that part of the city. Just sold my old, dilapidated condo on the north end, too, which is flanked by the new builds in Potomac Yard (google it. the prices will make your jaw drop.).
 
Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 AM
 
998 posts, read 799,088 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
We went to Winchester, VA as well. The person at the front desk of our hotel was literally the meanest, rudest, most confrontational person I have ever dealt with in my life. It was like being in the twilight zone. It could have just been him, but I really doubt it as a few of the customers there slowly smoked cigarettes and blocked the overhang with their vehicles while it was pouring down rain. We sat in our car waiting for someone to move so we could unload and they just went upstairs into their rooms. Weird freaking crap we experienced in Virginia. When people act like you don't exist when you hold a door open or they death stare at you when you say excuse me in a grocery store, its like why?!?! Virginia is such a beautiful state and it would be nice to live there but we can't handle all the hate and the toll it takes on your self esteem when people are mean all day.
Hmm, are you somehow getting back what you dish out? Your related experiences are now coming across as irrational.
 
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 AM
 
998 posts, read 799,088 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
No idea, honestly. Virginia's cosmopolitan areas are very transient. I would presume that C-Ville is that way, too. Not as bad as my hometown (Alexandria) but there are definitely a lot of folks I've met who are from elsewhere.
51% of the population of Virginia was born elsewhere. One of the highest percentages in the US.
 
Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Roanoke, VA
1,680 posts, read 3,057,358 times
Reputation: 904
Green Guy, what hotel was it?

In the Lexington, VA area there are several hotels owned & managed by the same family. Though they are franchised, nationally-recognized hotels, they are all substandard and the management are unfriendly at best. But that is reflection of the owners/managers and not the local staff and the area. The non-family staff were friendly and helpful -- at least when the boss was not around. Perhaps, the hotel you stayed at had the same characteristic?

NOVA is a stressful place to live IMO and it is not too hard to find an unpleasant person. But my experience in the rest of Virginia has generally been with people who are at least civil if not friendly.

Good luck.
 
Old 07-19-2017, 01:52 PM
 
146 posts, read 169,123 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Hmm, are you somehow getting back what you dish out? Your related experiences are now coming across as irrational.
You can think whatever you want. It wasn't an issue with me. I didn't say anything irriational, in fact your assumption is irriational based on the very summarized version of the experience I described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top