U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM

506 posts, read 1,241,553 times

Advertisements

I am quite serious when it comes to how this whole "snobby Yankee" stuff works. I am ABSOLUTELY not saying all southerners are rude. This is an issue that puzzles me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM

918 posts, read 2,073,675 times
Cville may be less uppity than I thought--the summer concert series downtown announced

"returning favorites include Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris and Phil Lesh and Friends.

Hutto said that 94,000 people attended the 2007 season’s 42 events, and 40 percent of ticket sales were to folks living outside of Charlottesville and Albemarle County.

Nelson is back by popular demand, Hutto said.

"So many people said they really wanted him back,’’ Hutto said.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:27 PM

846 posts, read 3,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I am quite serious when it comes to how this whole "snobby Yankee" stuff works. I am ABSOLUTELY not saying all southerners are rude. This is an issue that puzzles me.

It's because Southerners feel inferior to Northerners, so they go to great pains to put them down and distinguish themselves from them as much as possible.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 76,693 times
Goodness, i did not mean to create this kind of controversy with my original post! My question was not intended to sound snobby.

I have lived in both the Northeast and the South in my life. The simple fact is that I am infinitely more at home in places like Portland, Maine -- in large part because of the people, attitudes, and social culture -- than I am in the places I have lived in the South (I will not name the southern cities I have lived for fear of creating more unnecessary controversy. Suffice it to say that I have lived for more than a decade of my adult life in various cities in the South.). Like it or not, there tend to be vast differences, culturally speaking, between Northeastern cities and Southern cities. I was not intending to suggest one "culture" is better than the other -- just that one is better for *me* than the other, along with a list of some of the specific traits that make places like Portland feel more like "home" to me. It is those traits that I am seeking on other cities, and that I wondered if Charlottesville had.

I'd love to get some measured responses, with a focus on actual information about Charlotteville's culture and lifestyle, rather than just emotional venom ... I am actually interested in Charlottesville as a potential relocation target, and would like to learn more about it.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 76,693 times
It's not the cold that gets me. It's the lack of sunny days for 9 months out of the year. Way too depressing. It gets to you after a while.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:30 PM

6,550 posts, read 12,608,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
It's because Southerners feel inferior to Northerners, so they go to great pains to put them down and distinguish themselves from them as much as possible.
Yes, typically when people respond to snobbery and a sense of superiority and entitlement with overwhelming indifference, this is the conclusion that the former comes up with....

IOW you can mistake southern indifference toward the "Northern way and attitude" for a sense of inferiority if it helps you sleep at night. Fact of the matter is most simply don't give a ***** what you feel or think about them. Ever see the bumper sticker, "We don't CARE how you did it up north" ??? That's the attitude you're referring to.

Not to mention your statement is about the most ENORMOUS pot-kettle scenario I've seen in a long time. Who puts WHO down???

Would you care to re-read just THIS thread and re-think your answer???

Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 16,869 times
Default Suck up and stay

Quote:
It's not the cold that gets me. It's the lack of sunny days for 9 months out of the year. Way too depressing. It gets to you after a while.
just get tough, get a sun lamp and stay in that social paradise, instead of southern hellfry.surely half million alaskans cant be wrong oh dearie

Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM

846 posts, read 3,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Yes, typically when people respond to snobbery and a sense of superiority and entitlement with overwhelming indifference, this is the conclusion that the former comes up with....

IOW you can mistake southern indifference toward the "Northern way and attitude" for a sense of inferiority if it helps you sleep at night. Fact of the matter is most simply don't give a ***** what you feel or think about them. Ever see the bumper sticker, "We don't CARE how you did it up north" ??? That's the attitude you're referring to.

Not to mention your statement is about the most ENORMOUS pot-kettle scenario I've seen in a long time. Who puts WHO down???

Would you care to re-read just THIS thread and re-think your answer???
The Southerners on this board spend way more time talking about Northerners than Northerners spend talking about Southerners. It would never occur to a Northerner living in the North to put a sticker on his car about Southerners. So who is it who is really indifferent to the other?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 PM

918 posts, read 2,073,675 times
The South has to absorb FAR more x-northerners than vice versa, that's why. You don't hear about many from the south moving up north to retire or for any other reason.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM

658 posts, read 1,792,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
The South has to absorb FAR more x-northerners than vice versa, that's why. You don't hear about many from the south moving up north to retire or for any other reason.
I wonder what the attitude was amongst northerners when the reverse was taking place in the early (I think) and mid 20th centuries. much better for northerners now I suspect at least as far as attitudes/discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville