U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 10,101 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

So I have spent two years in Boston and now am able to relocate. No, I NEED to relocate. I have always wanted to live near the Shenandoah Valley and love the rolling hills and open spaces. We are moving the next 60 days because we have to be out of our rental. My husband and I are applying for jobs in the area, from Charlottesville to Harrisonburg (with a preference closer to Charlottesville). He would really like to get a staff job at one of the universities (if anyone has a contact at UVA or JMU I would be forever grateful). Anyway, we are moving to be closer to family in Richmond, but want to live near the valley so here we go. The short-term plan is to get jobs and rent a home for a couple of years while exploring the area and eventually buying 20 or so acres to have a small business and a few farm animals and live as much of a stress-free life as possible. For the short term here are my needs and what I need help with:

1. My husband would like to stay from Charlottesville west (I would like to stay east of the Waynesboro) and we need help on areas that are "commutable" to cville while still maintaining a picturesque landscape. He wants to live in an area that has an open feel where you can see the mountains or at least the rolling hills. Doesn't want to live where all you see is trees.

2. I plan on opening up a small business in a couple of years (and because of the type of business) I will need to live in a place that is near affluent communities.

3. We like the small town feel so don't need to live in the city we would only visit for work or occasionally for dinner.

4. We don't have kids so schools are of no consequence.

5. The top line item is really what it looks like, we are also open to living in an old farmhouse and fixing it up so a historical area is an added bonus.

6. Would like to live within 15 mins of a drug store and 20 mins of a hospital (I have a chronic health condition)

6. Also if anyone knows a realtor that specializes in farmettes or rentals that are on an acre or more, let me know.

I know this may all sound random but there is a method to the madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 PM

892 posts, read 1,846,324 times
I don’t have a whole lot of time to respond to your every concern, but the little town of Crozet sounds like it would be the best place to start your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or