U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 20 times

Advertisements

How do these two cities compare in terms of the horse community and access to trails, vets, etc.? We would be looking to buy around 15 acres for $500k or so. We are early 40s professionals who work from home and have no kids. I'd like to be within 30min or so to shopping (Costco, Trader Joe's, decent mall, etc.). We love hiking, camping, and I love wineries. I know people rave about Charlottesville, but it also seems to be much more expensive than area around Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:03 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,110,405 times
There are horse communities in both places, but the one in Charlottesville is stronger. I think Roanoke wins out on access to trails and lower cost. If you want to show, pick Charlottesville.

I have lived in Louisa (near Charlottesville) and used a wonderful equine vet practice out of Gordonsville. Equine vets in the C-ville area is not an issue -- you've got many to choose from.
I live in Roanoke now and use the equine vet practice out of Virginia Tech. I love my vet. And I enjoy that it is connected to the vet school. My vet usually has 1 to 4 vet students with her. It is both interesting and informative to hear the interaction with the students as they exam the horse first.
You have a Dover Saddlery in Charlottesville. Here, I go to Saddles 'n Stuff in Daleville. Dover has more inventory, but I am happier with my local store. There is a Dover Saddlery in Lexington, VA with limited hours. It is basically an hour away.
Some links to check out re the Roanoke areas:
https://roanokeequestrian.com/
Green Hill Park Equestrian Center
https://www.roanokeoutside.com/land/horseback-riding/
https://www.westernvawater.org/i-am-...rseback-riding
Good luck!

Old Today, 06:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,110,405 times
A couple more things -- Roanoke has a B.J.'s, Sam's Club, Aldi, and two malls (Valley View and Tanglewood). There is no Costco and no Trader Joe's. But Aldi is owned by the Trader Joe's entity. The nearest Costco stores would be in Greensboro, NC, Harrisonburg, VA and Charlottesville. You have friendly and unfriendly people everywhere, but overall, I would put Roanoke higher up in the friendly department. I never cared for the mall in Charlottesville. Both places have plenty of strip shopping centers.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 20 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
A couple more things -- Roanoke has a B.J.'s, Sam's Club, Aldi, and two malls (Valley View and Tanglewood). There is no Costco and no Trader Joe's. But Aldi is owned by the Trader Joe's entity. The nearest Costco stores would be in Greensboro, NC, Harrisonburg, VA and Charlottesville. You have friendly and unfriendly people everywhere, but overall, I would put Roanoke higher up in the friendly department. I never cared for the mall in Charlottesville. Both places have plenty of strip shopping centers.

Thank you for your reply. I do lower level eventing and compete some, but not a ton. Open spaces and nice trails are a priority, but access to some trainers and shows is important as well. I know NoVa is the hot spot, but I'm not interested in living there. Costco and Trader Joe's are a must, so I guess I'm leaning towards Cville. What is Harrisonburg like? It just made the list of best places to retire. Lol. We are currently in Tryon and it's wonderful, but Greenville, SC and Asheville are 45min away and I'm trying to determine if VA is a place where we can have shorter access to a decent sized city. Once you leave this county, there are no horse trails or very few, so moving closer to Asheville isn't an option.

Old Today, 11:10 AM

563 posts, read 276,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Good explanation and there is certainly no Trader Joes here, however I think Earth Fare and Fresh Market qualify as upscale food stores that are equally as good or better than a Trader Joes. Both of these food stores are located in Roanoke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or