U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,554,370 times

Advertisements

Not as many as in the past. When I was living there, we had:

Sissy Spacek
Kate Jackson
Jessica Lange
Sam Shepard
John Grisham

Others were constant guests at the Boar's Head Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM

67 posts, read 197,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Doesn't one of the members of the group En Vogue live there too? I heard that somewhere
En Vogue hasn't been famous for years. Sorry.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM

442 posts, read 1,030,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post
En Vogue hasn't been famous for years. Sorry.
I highly beg to differ. I can see that you are not a fan and don't really follow that type of music. But In case you didn't know they are celebrating their 20 year anniversary in the music industry with a new album, tour, etc. They performed with Alicia Keys at the 2008 BET Awards, and they will be performing at the 2009 Essence Music festival in July. They also performed at the 2009 Trumpet Awards. They never stopped doing what they love and now they are better than ever. I take it you haven't seen the brand new photo shoots or have picked up the latest issue of Jet Magazine where the funky divas proudly grace the covers. So check yourself before you start making assumptions. They are still one of the most successful and highly respected groups in the industry today. I highly recommend you check out some of their recent live performances.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,399,003 times
Doesn't Mary Chapin Carpenter live with her husband on a horse farm in the Charlottesville area?

Sean

Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I highly beg to differ. I can see that you are not a fan and don't really follow that type of music. But In case you didn't know they are celebrating their 20 year anniversary in the music industry with a new album, tour, etc. They performed with Alicia Keys at the 2008 BET Awards, and they will be performing at the 2009 Essence Music festival in July. They also performed at the 2009 Trumpet Awards. They never stopped doing what they love and now they are better than ever. I take it you haven't seen the brand new photo shoots or have picked up the latest issue of Jet Magazine where the funky divas proudly grace the covers. So check yourself before you start making assumptions. They are still one of the most successful and highly respected groups in the industry today. I highly recommend you check out some of their recent live performances.
Well, I'm going to go listen to some SWV now.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

442 posts, read 1,030,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post
Well, I'm going to go listen to some SWV now.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM

28 posts, read 68,488 times
Is Katie Couric still considered a resident? (have a summer home ect?)

Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,262,911 times
Robe Lowe was born in Charlottesville. But I dont think that counts, really, because he spent most all of his life in California or something.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,262,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Doesn't Mary Chapin Carpenter live with her husband on a horse farm in the Charlottesville area?

Sean

I think she lives in Great Falls.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Well, I've located another Charlottesville "celebrity":

(link to article) (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29640532/ - broken link)

Quote:
SEC charges Charlottesville man with running Ponzi scheme

By Media General News Service
updated 3:48 p.m. ET, Wed., March. 11, 2009

roanoke,va - The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged a Charlottesville resident with operating a multi-million-dollar Ponzi scheme. John M. Donnelly and his three companies - Tower Analysis Inc., Nasco Tang Corp. and Nadia Capital Corp. - face charges of violating federal securities and exchange acts. According to the SEC, Donnelly fraudulently obtained at least $11 million from as many as 31 investors via the sale of securities in the form of limited partnerships in his three investment funds. The SEC found that Donnelly told investors he had a history of generating annual returns of up to 22 percent. Yet he had done almost no securities trading and none since 2002, according to the SEC. The SEC’s complaint alleges that Donnelly used the investors’ money to pay other investors and to pay himself $1 million in salary and fees over the past three years. The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia has entered an order to freeze all assets under the control of Donnelly and his firms. Donnelly could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville